Address for visa if living/cruising on a barge

My wife and I are retired US citizens, living in Ecuador for a couple of years, as the first part of our retirement adventure. Getting our 2 year visa here was longish and made us glad we used an attorney. But from what i read so far the long term visa from a french consulate should be fairly straight forward. Also sounds as though the residence permit for retired persons with a verifiable income of around 1500 per month or more from the local 'town hall' can be a little testy but doable without an attorney to expedite/facilitate.  However, we have hopes of buying a barge and cruising the canals and rivers of France/Europe for a few years at least, when we leave Ecuador. It sounds like having an address for the residence permit could be a problem. If anyone has experience and/or knowledge about this type of adventure, we will be most appreciative for your counsel.
Nate

Hi,

- https://www.pnich.com/riverbarge-floating-homes.htm
- https://www.adhf-f.org/

The essential formalities
To live in a houseboat, you will first need a navigation license for your boat.
This license is granted after payment of taxes, dry inspection and full expertise of the boat.

The captain must also obtain a sailing license: for this he must pay a fee and pass a theoretical and practical examination (navigation code and test of driving a boat over twenty meters), after having follow courses.

In addition, all boats, motorized or not, must be registered.
You must apply to the Supervisory Commission, present a deed of ownership and a mortgage statement.
The parking issue
To live in a barge, you need not only a boat but also a location.
The authorities managing the public fluvial domain strictly regulate the parking of barges and charge parking fees.

The fees linked to the parking contracts issued by these managers (VNF Voies navigables de France, autonomous port, chamber of commerce, private port) vary between 700 and 5000 euros per year, sometimes more in tourist towns or the center of Paris.

The simplest is often to inquire on site to find out about the mooring possibilities or to know who to contact for authorization.
The connections
In general, the connection to France Telecom and the postal service is not a problem.
If you are moored near a municipality and you request it, the mail will be delivered to you and you can install the telephone.

The connection to electricity is thornier for those who have chosen to live in a barge.
Some have fuel oil generators, which are practical on the move but rather expensive in the long term.

As for the water supply, it is generally necessary to provide large reservoirs and go through the chore of filling at the public supply points.
Taxes
According to the legislation in force, the property tax is not due if the boat is capable of sailing.
In contrast, the Housing Tax is generally claimed from those who have chosen to live in a barge, in compensation for municipal services (school, garbage collection).

Phipiemar, Thank you, very good info. we are hoping to continuous cruise, with spending a week or two in one place then a gentle cruise for a day or 2 at most then another week or two on location. I understand the rules for that type of cruising are changing, but I thought it was still quite doable? Also i hope to keep the barge just under 20 meters in length. I understand that the licensing for operating a barge under 20M is significantly less?
We are not having  much luck finding a you tube channel or good blog for people living this life style in Europe. There seems to be a plethora of narrowboat  info in the UK, but not barges across the channel.
Again, any and all input is appreciated.
Nate

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've found this website (link) which deals with cruising on the Rhine.  With regards to the rules, this particular river is run by 5 countries (Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, France and the Netherlands); they have other waterways and you can expect the rules applicable on one, to be the same as others.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you, lots of good info there!!