Divorce, titre de séjour, and remaining in France

Hello, I am an American living in France for the last 16 years to a French national.  I am married but am unhappily into the final phases of a divorce.  My titre de sejour runs out in 2021.  I have a 5 year old son who lives with his mother and I have custody every other weekend and half the school holidays.

I have begun to worry that in the current political climate my titre de sejour may not be renewed and I might be forcibly separated from my son.  Could this happen?  Does anyone have any experience with this and any advice that might be pertinent?  I suspect I should get to work contacting an immigration lawyer.

Thanks in advance.

You are American, not African, so don't worry, you are not the kind of person eventually concerning by an expulsion ;)

Hello tony
I am sorry to hear that.
You have around 3 years to fix your relationship, or maybe you can get a job as you said, so you can get carte de sejours for workers.
Or  maybe you can get PaCs with another french.

So your opportunity to keep contact with your son is big.

Good luck
There's a lot of ways to get success

Hi Tony,

Logically, you have a residence permit as a foreign parent of a European minor child. This residence permit is valid for five years. And it is renewable without problem.

After 5 years of legal and continuous residence in France, you could obtain a residence permit EU / EEA / Switzerland Citizen - Permanent residence - All professional activities.

So in conclusion and even if you are in the process of divorce, you have no worries. Simply go to the prefecture of the department where you live.

TC
Philippe