Updated last year

Since July 25th 2000, young Japanese citizens are allowed to move to France for a year to experience its culture and way of life. If you're a Japanese national, learn more about how to get a France Working Holiday Visa in this article.

Conditions of the French WHV

To be eligible for the WHV in France you must:

  • be a Japanese citizen living in Japan when submitting your application;
  • be between the ages of 18 and 30 years old;
  • have not yet benefited from the France WHV yet;
  • not be accompanied by children during your stay in France; and
  • have a sum of at least 3,100 euros available to cover your needs during your stay.

Your France WHV is valid for 12 months and is not renewable.

You are allowed to access all French departments, except French overseas territories.

How to proceed

You must personally apply for the France WHV at the Embassy of France in Tokyo by submitting your application in the opening hours. After your registration, you will have to make an appointment with the visa department of the embassy. You will be allowed to get your Working Holiday Visa at the Embassy of France in Tokyo from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. using the receipt issued while applying on the internet. You can submit your application up to three months prior to your departure.

You must provide the following documentation:

  • the long stay visa application duly completed and signed (you must indicate your address in France)
  • your Japanese passport, which must be valid for at least 15 months at the time of application, and one photocopy of it
  • evidence of financial resources or proof of funds for your whole stay (a bank statement that is less than one month old)
  • a cover letter in French or in Japanese
  • a separate sheet of paper in French or in English describing your CV and the purpose of your stay
  • one year of health insurance cover starting from the date of your arrival
  • a commitment letter attesting to your financial commitment to buying your return ticket
  • a bill of health
  • a stamped return envelope with your full name and address so that the embassy can return your passport


Photocopies of your passport, evidence of financial resources, evidence of your return ticket, commitment letter, your bill of health and health insurance documents should be in A4 format.


Once you have found a job in France, you have to apply for a temporary work permit at the Labour Department - Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la concurrence, de la consommation, du Travail et de l'Emploi (DIRECCTE).

 Useful address:

Embassy of France in Tokyo:
4-11-44, Minami-Azabu, Minato-ku,
Tokyo 106-8514

 Useful link:

Embassy of France in Tokyo (in French) www.ambafrance-jp.org
Labour Department - Direction Régionale des Entreprises, de la concurrence, de la consommation, du Travail et de l'Emploi (DIRECCTE)

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.