How do I extend my carte de sejour ?

We have applied for citizenship in France. At the conclusion of our November 2022 interview, CL told us --- if we had not received written notificaiton of our results by June or July --- to write to the perfecture of Herault to ask for an extension of our cartes de sejour due to expire in September 2023.

She seemed to be indicating that this temporary extension would allow us to wait until we obtained a written notice of whether we had been accepted as French citizens. If we are accepted, then we would not need to apply for carte de sejour.

To whom at what address would I address this request?

Thank you!

Surely the Prefecture where you had your interview? This was the procedure when I obtained my initial carte de sejour this year. The Prefecture handles these matters. PS Who is CL?

Thanks Chris. Would you just send a letter recommandé to the Perfecture and let them decide where it goes? CL is the initials of the woman who was our interviewer. No full name available! In Herault, my husband tells me that he could get an interview at the perfecture but there are only a limited number of spaces so he had to get up and call in the middle of the night before they ran out interview slots. We could certainly give it try though and just go in with our question.

Sharon

I do recommend reading the article:

PARIS PREFECTURE ALLOWS RENEWAL OF THE RÉCÉPISSÉ

at:

https://www.jeantaquet.com/backlash

Thanks Jean and Chris,

We think we misunderstood what our interviewer was saying. She was telling us we would need to submit our dossier for the renewal for our current 10 year carte de sejour because we will not receive the final papers regarding our citizenship status (estimated at 8-12 months after the interview as of November 2022) before our current carte de sejour expires.

My carte de sejour expires 10 September. Jean's analysis above and his other extensive work on this subject  lead me to believe that the  process of renewal from the Perfecture's point of view is three months. For example, on 10th of June I will be allowed to make an appointment to bring in my completed dossier including an acceptable photo ID. If that process takes a month, the Perfecture will have two months for review, processing and delivery.

@Each Prefecture is independent on setting procedures. In Toulouse, it is not possible to talk to people. The best place is the Prefeces website. With some work, you can find the answer. I had to send the complete document package again on their list to them again, This time by mail—all photocopies except for the signed application form forms. But importantly, the copies must be high-quality A4 and in the correct order per the instructions.  I received the "Recepisse de Demande De CartDe Sejour" in the mail, which is a paper extension of my  DeCarte Sejour for three months. A month after the Carte expired, the Mayor came to my house to interview me and tested me to see if he would sign off on me getting a new Carte Sejour. I had to pass the test even though I had known him for a few years.  Three weeks later, I got an SMS saying I needed to get an appointment on the Prefect website and to buy the tax stamp. The appointment is for 5 min so being on time is important. All Documents in order. And your complete file under you're arm for safety. Read all instructions more then one time. I still google translate everything to make sure I understand.

John

swinn614

@boatman1940 hi

ok

@swinn614 Seems weird to organise it like that, but I feel that a face to face will be far more satisfactory, and immediate, than dealing with French websites,email or snail mail. Always be sure you double check any necessary documents; this brought us undone at my 1st interview,but our 2nd was a piece of cake. Only had to wait about 4 months for it though....

@chris48oconnor CL are the intials of the woman who interviewed us.

@boatman1940 Thanks John. What a great story. It surely is not like that in Montpellier!

@swinn614

It is different by Department. I am in Department 31 I go to Google with   "prefecture haute garonne"

I use Google Translate which is free and works well except for he and she. You load translate in the first tab Perfect in the next tab. For me https://www.haute-garonne.gouv.fr/ and just follow the Online procedures. Here there is no calling them or going there without an appointment which is only when they say so.  If there is no web site try www.impots.gouv.fr  You are migrating so would maybe still dealing with OFII.  That would be www.ofii.fr

With the information you have given me it is hard.

@swinn614

I just tried prefecture herault offii contact in Google

About 31,700 results (0.42 seconds)

September 16, 2020: Hello aa1963, For your information, the OFII is open to the public without an appointment from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. except Wednesday afternoon. ;You can also contact him by phone at 04 99 77 25 50 on the same schedule as indicated above or by email at ...

OFFII OF MONTPELLIER WHO DOES NOT RESPOND TO ...

Ministry of Transformation

https://www.plus.transformation.gouv.fr › experiences

About featured snippets

Feedback

Territorial Direction of Montpellier (dept. 30, 34, 48, 66)

directory-administration.com

https://www.directory-administration.com › ...

·

Translate this page

OFII contact details ; Opening hours, Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Telephone, 04 99 77 25 50; Fax / Fax, 04 99 77 25 ...

Geopostal address: Le Régent; 4 rue Jules-F...

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 04 99 77 25 50

Opening hours: Monday to Friday from...

The next page

OFFII DE MONTPELLIER WHO DOES NOT ANSWER THE PHONE OR EMAIL

User feedback: Negative

Hello I would like to say that since February 2020 until August 01, 2020 I have not been able to reach OFFII de Montpellier by phone or email. I took the initiative on July 09, 2020 to go and see on site in Montpellier: it's written in black on white that they only receive visitors by appointment, but they take care of people in exile. Question that arises how to have an appointment or they do not answer the phone. How do we do for our file? Sincerely, thank you.

yy1963 on 04/08/2020 at

Posted by a relative of the person concerned

15 people had a similar experience.

Have you had a similar experience?

Response from the service (Prefecture of Hérault)

Hello aa1963, Thank you for your testimony. Your story concerns the OFII, the French office for immigration and integration. The OFII is a State operator and partner of the prefecture. The OFII has been asked to provide some answers to your request, which will be published as soon as possible. September 16, 2020: Hello aa1963, For your information , the OFII is open to the public without an appointment from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. except Wednesday afternoon. ;You can also contact him by telephone on 04 99 77 25 50 at the same times as indicated above or by email at the following address ;: ;[email protected] .Bien cordially.

Sincerely,

Quality Referent

Date of the 1st answer 08/09/2020

4 people did not find this answer helpful.

How did you find the answer?

Useful

Not useful

Search result

Consult other experiences on the same themes

Accessibility

Phone

Organization:

PREFECTURES

Phone :

Negative

E-mail :

I do not know how mobile you are.  Try Your Mayors Office if you are in a village they can be very helpful. Or any other French Government office that is close, ladies are more understanding than men and more helpful. That is a general statement based on my experience as a man. 

https://www.plus.transformation.gouv.fr … C3%A0%20l'

Tell me more ( if you want to ), and will see what I can find. I am married to a French Citizen born in England with a foreign father and a French mother born outside of France with French Parents. We live in the house that my wife grew up in, which she now owns. And I am American which has been coming and going since 1979. And it has not been easy to get information. I just got my second Carte Sejour. I started the paperwork in 2018 when I was told at the EU border that 90 days was my time limit per year and they may ban me if I did not have a Long Stay Visa. I did that and found that I had emigrated when I got to France and found out what OFII meant.  So I will help if I can.

John