Moving to France with dual American/Irish citizenship

Hi - I would like to move to France within the next couple years  and become a French citizen. I am an American but also have dual citizenship with Ireland, and I have a current legal passport from both countries. Would I be able to enter France using my Irish passport, and then live there as an EU citizen without having to get a visa, and eventually apply for French citizenship?
I do see a lot of info for expats on the web but the comments are usually for UK citizens. Thanks!

Nancy

hi, maybe a good link to start your search :
https://www.ras-group.ie/moving-from-ireland-to-france/

Marcel

another site :

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra … country_en

I suppose the best and easiest approach will be as an Irish citizen

You're in luck, Nancy. Being Irish makes you an EU citizen so yes, you can come over and stay as long as you wish. You will alos want to get your carte de sejour, which will entitle you to apply for a carte vitale and government-subsidized medical care.

As for French citizenship, I don't have any information. I'm wondering, though, why you would want it except to be able to vote or run for public office.

We are Belgians living here and have no carte de sèjour (but we live here on retirement) ... We have our carte vitale (medical care) via documents of the Belgian office for medical care so maybe you can inform yourself in the Irish office ...

Hello Nancy,

I can confirm what some predecessors say. My client, Irish-American, has been living in France for a long time on the basis of his Irish passport and does not need a visa.

I regularly assist him with organizational matters and he has never had any problems with applications, etc.

Warm regards,
Claudia

Yes.

You would be able to move to France with your Irish passport without having to obtain a visa. However, I would recommend speaking with your local French consulate when you get closer to your anticipated move to confirm.

@nmfarano

If you are an EU Irish, you can travel anywhere in the EU. The UK (Northern Ireland) but I think you are still stuck with the 90-day rule in any EU country. I think you have Imagrate with Long Stay Visa and get a third Passport.

@nmfarano
If you are an EU Irish, you can travel anywhere in the EU. The UK (Northern Ireland) but I think you are still stuck with the 90-day rule in any EU country. I think you have Imagrate with Long Stay Visa and get a third Passport.

-@boatman1940

This post is from September 2021