My life in Chile SA

2 years in Chile and I have to say, it gets beter everyday. Born and lived in South Africa for 50 odd years and travelled to many countries since 1994 looking for greener pastures, including Mauritius, Australia, Europe, and lately South America, Costa Rika and Panama.
Started off in Puerto varas for a year. Beautifull city but to cold to my liking...and yes now in Quillota approx. 2 hours north from Santiago..I so love it here..the weather, the town and the people...working with my hubby in the Solar business that we and  2 locals started, installing solar panels and water heaters accross Chile. Aswell as making furniture and fixing houses mainly in our spare time.It has been an amaizing journey and still going strong.

Hi Yolanda,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for sharing.

I wish you all the best,
Christine

Great to hear that you work in renewable Energy Business in Chile!
Best to preserve the beauty of these country

In case of Flora and Fauna Chile is Really one of the prefered Destinations
Hopefull i ll be able to travel there again next year
Greet the Vicunas and Guanacos! ;-)

HI Yolanda,
I'm curious; is your husband Stephen? We are a Canadian couple looking to relocate to Chile and we had a response from a gentlemen by the name Stephen who has a solar business North of Santiago. Just curious if you are related. If not, can you answer some of our questions about Chile?
Cheers,
Lucie and Jiri

Hi Lucie,

We have moved from New Zealand to Chile. We know Whangerei very well and have been there very often.

How can I help you????

Kind regards

Monika

Hello Monika,

Thank you for your reply. We are currently in Canada and very much considering our options. The one we were thinking of was moving to Chile. Where in Chile are you and do you like it? We are a middle-aged couple, documentary filmmakers and we are looking to find a place with a mild weather and decent infrastructure, preferably close to the ocean. We are not sure if we are perhaps romanticizing the idea of Chile and the reality is very different. We have travelled quite a bit in the past, from South-east Asia, to Ecuador, Peru, NZ, and a handful of countries in Europe and somehow, South America retains a lot of appeal. We would very much appreciate any feedback, information, suggestions, or your experience in the country.

We have many questions about Chile:

-we would like to know what is the situation in Chile right now with Covid, (is it strict, do you need a vaccination passport,...,
-can expats own a property/buy a house or land or do we have to wait to become citizen,
-we are documentary film makers (not the Hollywood kind), would there be any possibility of work for us, being our own employers,
-are there any areas where we could own a nice house with (hoping for) view on ocean with some kind of tranquillity or are all communities/houses very close to each other,
-is it safe for expats or do we become targets?

We will have many more questions! Thank you all!

Thank you,
Lucie and Jiri