South Africans living in Chile

hi there,
i am planning on buying property in Chile and would like to hear from south Africans living in Chile. that would not mind answering my stupid questions about best places to buy/best places to fish/clean water for diving, etc.
best regards
ian

Why don't you ask your questions here? The responses may be useful for others as well.
Remember, when you are new in a country, no question is too stupid.
:)

i see property prices are go mad! where is the best place for an English speaking family to settle in Chile. and can you recommend an real estate agent that can be trusted.

I think Santiago, the capital, can be a good choice for an English speaking family, because it is where more English speakers live in the country..

Any doubts about Chile, get in touch with me,
lajospp hotmail.com

Hi Ian

I have only been in Chile for 2 and a half months, but I can give you my input at least! :)

I would definitely suggest that, if you want to live in Chile, you should come to Santiago.  It is the capital city and where everything happens!  I have travelled a bit in the south of Chile, and I find the small little towns just that - too small!

If you have a family, you should probably consider finding a good school first and then buying a home/apartment close to it.  There are 2 International schools that I know of where they teach in English,Lincoln Academy and Nido Aguilas.  Not sure of the name of the suburb they are in, but I know they are pretty far from the metro and in expensive neighbourhoods.

The metro and bus systems are great and super efficient, but it takes long to travel this way in peak times.  Owning a car would be another possibility, but they drive on the right hand side of the road here, so it might take some adjusting.. And believe me when I say that traffic can be an absolute nightmare and most of the drivers here act like the typical South African taxi driver!  It's pretty scary! LOL

About the best places to dive, etc. I have no idea!  Neither do I know any real estate agents!  But I hope the bit of info I could provide has helped.  Feel free to ask any other questions and I will gladly answer as best I can!

Best regards,
Cheryl :)

Hello Cheryl,

Thanks you for your contribution :one

Hi Ian.
I send you a link here very good about buying property in Chile and other matters on chile.
http://www.allchile.net/chilewiki/index … s_in_Chile
Beside also something to learn Spanish.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Tokerov
regards
claudio.

You can get help with relocation to Chile and buying property there at spencerglobal.com

am chilean and i can tell you stgo not the best option for a family life if you want something more safe and calm for a family living and not so expensive definetly concepcion it has everything that santiago has but safer also valdivia or talca are good options, santiago its now full or protest and riots i moved away from there when i got  pregnant cause its absolutly air polluted and not what i want for my baby