Possible move to La Serena/Coquimbo area

Hello All,

We are seriously contemplating a move to La Serena/Coquimbo area as soon as this summer.  Although I speak Spanish, my wife and children do not. My priorities are security and education. I was hoping someone could give me a little insight into schools in the area the teach in English. Are they quality schools? Also, what are good areas to live in?
I noticed there are expats living there...how is the expat community there? I hope someone can give us some insight. Any other commentary would also be greatly appreciated.

My name is connie and I am interested in asking you if you relocated from the US to Chile?  How has the adjustment process been for your family.  Have your children adapted to the school system.  How is the cost of living for a family there is it reasonable or expensive.  I have two children and I am contemplating on relocating to chile.  I am considering concepcion as I understand that it is better and cheaper than Santiago.  Any feedback or information on this subject would be appreciated.

Hi Connie--I have not made it to Chile. Like you, we are trying to make that decision ourselves. We hope to have many of the same questions answered. Good luck to you and your family.

I am going to chile to scope things out this March and plan to be there till the end of April, I will let you know how I make out, I plan to visit Santiago, concepcion and la serena.  I also plan to check out schools.  Where are you and what made you think of chile out of all the countries out there.  How old are your children, I have a 15 and 11 year old.

connie

That's great, hope the trip is successful! Hope you can get some good insight for the both of us. Chile has always been a place I wanted to go, and have an opportunity to go through work. Kids are 7 and below, and schools are at the top of our priority. Look forward to hearing about your experiences, especially about La Serena.

Hello! Coquimbo/La Serena is a nice place to live.. my family has a farm there, i know the area a bit. You will find good private schools there, but not good universities.
Safety is not a problem… it does get very busy and the traffic is not good in summer, remember it's known for their beaches.
There is a school there… The International School La Serena, I'm sure it's in the top 50 school ranking of the country.
Hope this helped u… and good luck its not easy being expats.