What is the best make for snorkelling

Had a great days snorkelling today but struggling for good quality mask and snorkels that fit well.  Any recommendations?

Cheers chaps.

Lucyanna,

I am a diving instructor and really the only thing I could suggest is a proper diving mask and Fins.  Mares is a very good make and i have had my X Vision Mask for about 6 years (and i have taught and dived a lot since then...)  Give Cresta Diving a ring or pop in to them in St. Julians and they will sort you out a decent set at a reasonable price... mention my name (Julian) to them....

crestadivecentre.com/Contact.aspx for there contact details ...

There are other dive centres out there its just that I know these people and they are really freindly and helpful.

Charlie (Charlotte) is a great girl who will look after you and wont rip you off.

Regards

Julian

out of curriosity, what is a decent price, because I am interested as well, but don't want to get bent over the table by a local trying to make extra money off tourists.

Prices can vary, if you do a cheap ALDI type range you could pay 25 euro for the lot... although they will not last a year...

The Mask i mentioned costs around 45ish euros but will last and last and last.

The people at the one i mentioned ... Please don't take this as advertising... just trying to assist... are English and Maltese and they know there stuff will not rip you off but will give you options i.e. do you want cheap but low quality or more expensive higher quality.

Are you just looking for just snorkelling or do you think that you will possibly go on to diving in the future.... as the fins side could also be cheap or expensive... EG my fins were £100 and I also have to wear boots with them that cost about £40.  So depending on what you want to do it could cost a bit more than you envisage... BUT GOD IS IT WORTH IT :)

Julian

Thanks for that.  When trying masks, how is it best to judge for fitting.  The ones we have 'fit' but have slow leakage which is a pain as we have to keep stopping to empty.  Its probably something to do with face shape etc but how do we ensure we get the right size?

thanks
J

The standard way of trying on a mask is to put it on your face without the strap around the back and breath in through your nose to get it to stick on you face.  If the mask falls off its not the right shape for your face. Although i find most of the time that people pull the straps to tight which in turn allows water to flow in through the movement of your face and the seal of the mask.  Try to loosen the straps of the mask of slightly and see if it helps.  The pressure of the water will also help it against your face.

Excellent,  thanks loads.
xx