Buying used - Online. What platform is used in Malta.

Hi everyone!

I am just in the research stage of planing a move to Malta and I joined this Forum because there are some questions the Internet just can't answer. :)

One of them is: what platform can you use in Malta if you are looking for used cars, furniture, electronics, etc.

In Canada it was Craigslist, in Germany: Ebay and in Austria it's Willhaben.

I'm hoping that Malta has a similar platform...

Thanks so much!

facebook or maltapost are most used, everything though is rubbish and best avoided :P

They will claim something is "new" when its an antique (literally, 60 year old X with new accessories) or "slightly used sofa" means its been torn to shreds by a dog etc and should be thrown away.

Same goes for cars etc, there's no concept of when its been bought - even years ago - that its now somehow worth less than when it was bought etc.  I've seen 5 year old second hand camera for sale for more than the equivelant new one - when asked wtf they say they paid that much therefore thats what its worth.

This does not even mention the scams and lies and general thievery, I know its everywhere and by no means a malta thing but it seems exceedingly common here.

Be very careful and know what you're looking for a what its worth.

Oh jeez, that doesn't sound great.....

So overall, you just buy everything new?

NilaMcC wrote:

Oh jeez, that doesn't sound great.....

So overall, you just buy everything new?

Mostly yes, but I do have a old car so its unavoidable :)

Here's a recent story:

I want to buy a bullbar for my 25 year old 4x4, I see one including a picture, contact the guy sure I can come buy it.  Have to meet him after dark due to work - seemed normal.  We go I meet him, I cant really see the thing as it's dark though I do notice more rust than expected but decided to buy it anyway as it was cheap.

He says its from his car and is a factory model and will simply fit on my car.

In the light of day:

* It's not the item in the picture
* It was cut off his car with the fittings simply cut off with a angle grinder and there's no way it can fit again anywhere
* 2 of the 3 bars are nearly rusted off and he hid this with a quick fill up job and some paint

I contacted him about it not being the one in the picture and basically got a "meh" back since what will you do, its certainly not worth trying to chase for a refund and they know it.

Anyway it was super cheap and my metal guy fixed it and after fixing was still a bargain and is now good as new - which is why I didnt look at it that closely on the day.

Everyone who buys 2nd hand things will have stories like this.

Yikes.

Volcane meant to say maltapark not maltapost in his first reply. Deception is widespread here regardless if you're buying new or used. Honest people struggle to fit in. The more deceitful, cheeky and selfish you are the better you'll blend in.

That's unfortunate....

All sounds rather depressing, doesn't it? On the other side of the coin I picked up a bargain E100 mountain bike from a request I posted on a local facebook group. In fairness and full disclosure, they were expats Brits heading back to the UK...

Not everyone is out to rob you but, like anywhere, you need to have your wits about you buying second hand. Word of mouth is a good way to find bits and pieces and getting involved in the local facebook groups helps.

Yeah to be clear I am not saying don't do it. There are good stuff out there. More saying don't trust it will go well. Check and double check and know things worth.

There are a number of boot sales too around. Not been to one but might be worth it

On the flip side, I sold the contents of the farmhouse I bought on Maltapark and facebook's 'facebay' since I brought my own furniture when I moved here.  The furniture was all in very good but used condition and went for prices that were between 1/10 and 1/20 of the price of a new item - ie a 1000 euro dining set went for 50-100 euro - the people who bought all that stuff got great value.  I would have gotten 5 times the price for the same items if I had sold them in the USA.  The prices are very low for used items because people in general seem to have very little money.

You can definitely find very good value on the used gear sites if you pick through all the junk.

Well, nice to hear it's not all bad! :)

I would look at Maltapark. Just like I'm sure you'd find people trying to rob you on Craiglist, it happens but you do find good deals