Where to buy rhubarb in Malta.

Does anyone know where I can get rhubarb here ?  I have been looking all week in various supermarkets and grocers with no luck . Thanks :)

cailineire wrote:

Does anyone know where I can get rhubarb here ?  I have been looking all week in various supermarkets and grocers with no luck . Thanks :)

Only seen it in the summer, perhaps its the wrong time of year.

I always thought rhubarb is a spring (or early summer) vegetable, so I guess you might have to wait till next year...
(I even remember a storybook from my childhood where there was a short story called the "Rhubarb Lady" - supposedly a farmer who sold this vegetable - and she was only there in May, as by June, rhubarb time was over)

And I just checked on a website for amateur gardeners... there it said that after the middle of June, rhubarb develops toxic chemicals, so it's no longer edible. It was a German site, though, so I don't know which time is rhubarb time in Malta

bernie_iris_fabian_david wrote:

I always thought rhubarb is a spring (or early summer) vegetable, so I guess you might have to wait till next year...
(I even remember a storybook from my childhood where there was a short story called the "Rhubarb Lady" - supposedly a farmer who sold this vegetable - and she was only there in May, as by June, rhubarb time was over)

And I just checked on a website for amateur gardeners... there it said that after the middle of June, rhubarb develops toxic chemicals, so it's no longer edible. It was a German site, though, so I don't know which time is rhubarb time in Malta

I grow rhubarb, only the leaves are toxic, the rest is not.  About now, it is "out of season" as harvesting usually needs to stop late summer so the plant can build up and store energy to carry it through the winter

Thanks for the replies. We just fancied an old family favorite dessert , rhubarb crumble . i looked for tinned rhubarb too for the filling but still nothing,  We did however find strawberry and rhubarb herbal tea to satisfy our rhubarb craving :)  tastes delicious !
The rhubarb crumble will have to wait :)

Try "Miracle Foods"! They sometimes supply frozen rhubarb. Which is excellent for a crumble ...

Fantastic ! Thanks Christiane69. I'll give that a try .

Saw some rhubarb in Arcadia Gozo today so they might have some in their Malta store.

Thank you , GozoMo 😀
Hopefully  I'll  be having rhubarb crumble later !