Retirement Visa for Brazil

@viajanete Yeah, I missed the part about the apostille for proof of income. At least for me this was confusing since it wasn't required when I received my initial CRNM, and after contacting the consulate it still isn't required for the initial application but is required for a renewal which seems a bit counterintuitive.  I wish I had understood that ahead of time, but it is what it is.

Unfortunately, the obtainment of the notarized pension letter, then receiving that notarized letter and then mailing it to the Secretary of State of the notary jurisdiction, then receiving it back and then getting a Portuguese translation takes alot of time, potentially up to 3 months, depending on mail delays, backlogs, holidays, etc.

For example, my former employer only has notary services available once a week. The backlog for the Secretary of State of Texas is 30 working days, or 6 weeks. While I suppose it is possible to do this from Brazil, I believe it would be extremely difficult. I agree that it requires a return trip to the United States.

As I mentioned, once I get through all this I'll be writing up a guide - but in the meantime I would warn anyone who is contemplating a renewal be aware that you need to get this done - and the letter needs to be current, so you can't do it a year in advance. It needs be done about 3 months before you apply for renewal, further complicating the situation.

06/12/23 For example, my former employer only has notary services available once a week. The backlog for the Secretary of State of Texas is 30 working days, or 6 weeks. While I suppose it is possible to do this from Brazil, I believe it would be extremely difficult. I agree that it requires a return trip to the United States.
-@mikehunter

Notice that the Texas Secretary of State apparently has walk-in service, although you have to be in Austin to use it:

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/authinfo.shtml

In Illinois, the Secretary of State has regional offices for a range of walk-in services, including authentications; I'm surprised that Texas doesn't. 

Notice that the Texas Secretary of State apparently has walk-in service, although you have to be in Austin to use it:

https://www.sos.state.tx.us/authinfo.shtml

In Illinois, the Secretary of State has regional offices for a range of walk-in services, including authentications; I'm surprised that Texas doesn't.
-@abthree

Thanks I saw that, but I'm in California so that's not really feasible - and I don't plan on returning until October, so that gives me time to mail the documents back and forth.  I'm going to have to wait and then re-apply.

@mikehunter

Yes, in my case, all the required documents (except my birth certificate) had to be current.  I was able to get my SS proof of retirement/proof of income apostilled by the local secretary of state's office (Missouri) by submitting an affidavit (prepared by that office) testifying that I was presenting a true and original statement from Social Security (which was actually a downloaded printout). Same with the FBI report.  But all updated with current information.  For me, well worth the trip home. I can't imagine trying to accomplish the same from here in Brazil.

@Viajanete Thanks for the update and information.

@mikehunter I got the translations done in Brazil after I returned to Brazil with the current documents. I wanted to be sure the translator would be acceptable.  (They have to be officially certified.)  Is that your plan?  My translator took about 10 days to translate all the required documents.

@Viajanete Hey, hope all is well, thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct, the translations have to be done in Brasil. I have a service I use in Sao Paulo that accepts submissions via email, so once I receive the apostilled proof of income (will probably take until mid-august to receive), I'll then submit those electronically to the service in Sao Paulo and receive the reply electronically within a week or so. Then, I'll attach those documents to the application and resubmit. Hope to submit everything while I'm still in the USA and then return to Sao Paulo in October to go to the PF (assuming they approve me this time). While I'm here in the US, I also got fingerprinted and am redoing my Police clearance in case it is needed. It's not required for the renewal, but since I'm here I figured better to be safe than deal with another potential delay. I won't translate the police report unless they want it.

I'm still a little perplexed that it requires a trip back to the US to get a CRNM renewal - but it is what it is.

My report of (lack of ) criminal activities was required for me, as I've not lived in Brazil 5 years yet. (The PF has access to any criminal activity I  might have committed over the last two, but I  printed out a copy just to be safe, and took it with me to my interview with the PF. They did not ask to see it, but they did take the apostilled FBI report for copying. )  It sounds like you've got it all under control.  Yes, I agree, the renewal process is not as easy as it first appears.  Your summary,  when you've finally succeeded,  will be invaluable!

Good day to everyone.

I have, after a 2 month trip to Brasil, decided to try to emigrate to Brasil, probably on the Pension / Digital Nomad visa.  My Brasilian partner actually asked me to enter into a stable relationship with a view to a civil marriage while I was there, which would mean being able to apply for a Family Reunion visa, but as we haven't actually lived together, I doubt it would even be considered by the consulate, let alone the PF.

The documentary requirements on the  pension visa aren't exactly self-explanatory, and was wondering if anyone in the forum has emigrated to Brasil from South Africa (or elsewhere) on a retirement visa, and might be able to offer some advice about some of the documents required by the consulate please?

1.     Documents that can confirm the means of entry in Brasil.

I am not sure what is required here, as the information page of the website says: "It is recommended to not pay for travel arrangements (e.g., air ticket, hotel) without having a visa in your possession."   Any idea what it is they want?  An airline ticket?  If so that is a bit confusing!

2.     Health insurance valid in Brasil.

As I wish to settle permanently in Brasil, I would naturally be taking a Plano de Saúde from one of the healthcare providers in Brasil, but would be unable to do that without a bank account, CPF or RNE, which I would only be able to obtain once I am in Brasil, and have registered my arrival with the PF, to the best of my knowledge.  Would a standard 90 or 180 day international travel health insurance be acceptable, as I would be able to obtain this from my present healthcare provider? 

3.     Proof of retirement or receipt of death pension.

I receive a retirement income from a private pension fund (Living Annuity), is there some specific form of letter I should request from the investment company to prove this, or would a statement of the investment be considered as proof? Any ideas?

4.     Documents that prove the capacity to transfer to Brasil, in a foreign currency, the minimum monthly amount of US$ 2.000,00 (two thousand US dollars).

Do the words: "prove the capacity to transfer to Brazil" mean just that, to have the capacity to do so, or must one actually have to do so?  As my income is derived from both a Living Annuity and investments, do I just need to prove that the combined income reaches the minimum requirement?  Also, I receive my pension payments annually not monthly - would that be an obstacle also?   Does this proof have to be obtained again at time of renewal of the visa?

A final question, if my partner and I decide to either form a stable relationship or get married, do I need to change the type of visa at renewal time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

12/12/23 @kilobravo.  Are you currently in Brazil, or in South Africa?  That will make a big difference in the answers.

Several of our members have applied successfully for either Retirement and Digital Nomad visas, and can respond on the documents. 

After arrival in Brazil, if you and your partner decide to either form a União Estável or to get married, you can do either at a cartório, and the Polícia Federal will accept the resulting certificate from the cartório as proof of the relationship.  If you're in Brazil at that time under either a Retirement or a Digital Nomad visa, then my advice would be to accumulate the documents that you'll need to apply to the Polícia Federal for Reunião Familiar status based on your relationship, and to make that application a month or two before your existing visa would be set to expire.

@abthree  I'm back in S.A. right now, sorting through 54 years of accumulated junk and preparing to sell my apartment.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I'll apply for the visa here in S.A. from the consulate - who apparently don't need apostilles or translations - but should I still get a set of documents apostilled and translated for the PF do you think?  Or will the PF accept the documents as they come because the consulate accepted them?

Hopefully someone on here will know the correct documents I need to get together.

I already have the unabridged birth certificate, and a police clearance will have to be properly timed, in this country it can take 6 months to get one, and which has by then already expired!

12/13/23 @kilobravo.  In principle, the Polícia Federal should accept your Consulate-issued visa with little or no additional paperwork, the Consulate already having vetted you.  The PF can demand any additional information that they want, however, so I would recommend having duplicate originals of your Birth Certificate and your Police Clearance, with apostilles, just in case.  Have a complete set of the other documents that you present to the Consulate, but I would not bother with apostilles for them.  You can get Sworn Translations done here with a pretty quick turnaround, so plan on only getting them if the PF require them.

The website for the Brazilian Consulate that will process  your request should have a list of the documents required for each.  Both the Retirement and the Digital Nomad visa fall under the visa type VITEM XIV, so look for that. 

I have always found that if you take additional paperwork, over and above what they might appear to require, then they never need it. However, if you take nothing, then they always seem to want more...!

@Peter Itamaraca

It's like they know. Anytime I forget documents of any kind they request it. Any other time everyone ignores me when I have a bag full of paperwork haha

12/16/23    I have always found that if you take additional paperwork, over and above what they might appear to require, then they never need it. However, if you take nothing, then they always seem to want more...!        -@Peter Itamaraca

This is why I always advise people to have at least one entire duplicate set of documents, maybe two extras of the more important ones.  Because the PF don't always ask for everything, but they can ask for anything.  I strongly suspect that a lot of times it amounts to a sample check:  they ask for something, and if you just reach into your folder, pull it out, and hand it to them with a smile, they give it a cursory look and that's the end of it.  But look scared, fumble, complain, or any mixture of those, and then they'll study it, and it will be one document after another.  And no one should  volunteer unrequested documents just  because they have them.  Keep them in the folder and just take the win!

Having extras also reminds you what you'll need next time.

My retirement visa was just approved!… HOWEVER,  I'm in the US and not allowed to return to Brazil  for 180 days because I extended my tourist visa in 2023 while waiting to be approved for the retirement visa.

I am now told US consulates do NOT issue retirement visas and I must wait 180 days and then using  a tourist visa to return , go to the Federal Police for processing.

Would anyone know if there's some workaround given I've been approved?

I'm just not in Brazil and apparently the US Consulate only deals with non-retirement visas. Perhaps some documentation would suffice? I'm at a loss. Thanks,

@Gerard Nardini

I think your experience makes a salient point to others who may seek to apply for permanent visas in the future - and this is not to criticise you in any way.

If you think you may consider applying for a permanent visa, then get all your ducks in a row BEFORE you come to Brazil on a tourist visa. Research all the documents you might need, and have them to hand when you travel here in the first instance. If you do not use them, then it has only cost you some time and a little money.

But it is all too easy to be here relaxing on the beach, in the sun, drinking caipirinhas, enjoying life, etc - and then sudenly realise time is passing, and you are now rushing to collate everything, if you actually can. Bureaucracy is very slow here, so start your process as soon as you can after arriving, and give the authorities plenty of time to process your application and acknowledge receipt of it, approve it and give you a protocol.

12/24/23 @Gerard Nardini.  Last night I detailed all the workarounds I could think of for you in your other thread.  Please see them there.

For future applicants, I can only second what @Peter Itamaraca wrote above, and add this:

If a consular visa exists that fits your purpose and for which you qualify - e.g., Reunião Familiar, retirement, Digital Nomad, Education, Employment, and others, arrive with the right visa from a Brazilian Consulate in your country of origin. That will always make your process much easier than trying to retrofit a tourist visa.   In some cases, the retrofit won't even be allowed.

My retirement visa was just approved!… HOWEVER,  I'm in the US and not allowed to return to Brazil  for 180 days because I extended my tourist visa in 2023 while waiting to be approved for the retirement visa.
I am now told US consulates do NOT issue retirement visas and I must wait 180 days and then using  a tourist visa to return , go to the Federal Police for processing.

Would anyone know if there's some workaround given I've been approved?
I'm just not in Brazil and apparently the US Consulate only deals with non-retirement visas. Perhaps some documentation would suffice? I'm at a loss. Thanks,

-@Gerard Nardini

Can you clarify a few questions:

Did you use an immigration attorney? In Brazil or the US?

Did you apply for the retirement visa in Brazil or in the US?

How did you find out you have been successful? Were you given a protocolo or other documentation?

What dates exactly were you in Brazil this year?

These answers may help us give more advice...

Good morning all,

Just a quick update on my story...

After having my e-mails pretty much ignored by the Consulate in Pretoria, I took a chance and contacted the Consulate in Cape Town.  Within a day I had a friendly, full and detailed e-mail telling me exactly what documentation I needed to make the Visa application and a link to go and obtain a CPF.

I filled in the online CPF request form, submitted the online documentation and within 24 hours received an e-mail asking for some additional information, which I provided, and asked if they would like a copy of a document to prove the information.  Less than 24 hours later, another e-mail with "Yes please, send the document, it isn't necessary, but helpful". 

Also, "You will need to bring the attached form to the consulate to sign in our presence along with your identity documents to obtain your CPF - but don't do that now, you have a long distance to travel to the Consulate, so rather do that at the same time when you come for your Visa interview".

Pretty considerate if you ask me!  Saves me making two 3000km journeys and the costs attached.

I will keep this updated as things progress.

@abthree

Sorry for bringing this up again.

But is there now a permanent (or indefinite temporary) Visa for retirees?

What about the age limit? It seems it's only about income.

Settling in Brazil on a temporay visa (e.g buying a house), appears scary if they can just change regulations and all of a sudden you need 6k USD per month or whatever to renew.

If anyone can direct me to a comprehensive (post 2017) overview of investment and retiree visas, that would be great. Google kinda fails me on that.

@Kronner

Do you think you might qualify for the so-called Golden Visa?

Invest at least 1,000,000 reais, (or just 700,000 reais in NE Brazil), in residential real estate, and you can receive a permanent visa without any income requirements...

02/19/24 @Kronner.  Welcome!  No problem:  this subject is as frustrating for old Brazil hands as it is for newbies.  I'll never understand why they didn't just carry the Retirement Visa over into the new system the way they did the Family Unification visa, but they didn't, and that's something that sovereign states get to decide for themselves.

I am not aware of any comprehensive overview of the retiree visa.  Don't trust any retirement visa information you find that's dated prior to 2017, because it will refer to the former retirement visa, which was quite different.

Historically, Brazil has been attentive to grandfathering current visaholders when regulations change, so I wouldn't be TOO worried about becoming unable to renew an existing visa because of new regulations, although I can't guarantee it.  This concern is probably why the financial requirement is now expressed in USD; for the former visa, it was in BRL. 

Identity cards (CRNM) for resident foreigners in Brazil traditionally have stopped requiring renewal after the holder reached 60 years of age.  Eventually I hope that this practice will apply to holders of the current retirement visa as well, but again, there's no way of knowing.

I believe that all new permanent visas granted, (with the exception of the Digital Nomad one), will now be for a period of 4 years, and then made permanent at the first renewal. Those who have the old visas, however, (for example granted last year), will still have to adhere to the old conditions until they have passed the 4 year mark, then they will be made permanent.

If i already own property of R$400,000 can i obtain resident visa? How?

@Peter Itamaraca I received my retirement visa a few months ago. My understanding is that it is temporary or two years, after which I can apply to make it permanent if I have been a good boy.

What are the requirements for retirement visa?

@detebari

On your local Brazilian consulate website (consular services / visas) you'll find a list of requirements for a visa application - your consulate's requirements may differ from mine.  You'll be looking for information for a VITEM-XIV (retirement / digital nomad visa).

I'm in South Africa and have two consulates, the one never bothered to reply to my request to clarify the documentary requirements (which are as clear as mud), for example; you need to provide proof of method of entry into Brazil (plane ticket) but on the same page they say "Don't buy a plane ticket until you have a visa" which is *so* useful.  In this country, a registered travel agent will (for a price naturally) issue you with a letter stating they will be making transport arrangements on your behalf and provide an itinerary, which is apparently acceptable by the consulate - this I have yet to confirm.  The other option was to book a refundable flight, get the e-ticket issued, and then get the flight refunded - quite an expensive process in this country, as only about 70% of the costs get refunded.

The Cape Town consulate however, were exceptionally helpful, and I have inserted their response to my queries below, hopefully these will help you also.  Take careful note of section 2) about applying for a CPF if you don't already have one.  You will need to apply online and then go to the consulate to collect your CPF and to be interviewed for a visa.  The consulate in Cape Town, knowing it is a 6000km round trip for me, kindly said they would retain my CPF until I come for a visa interview. 

You must have an unabridged birth certificate that shows your mother's maiden name.  Brazilians find it confusing that we don't retain our mother's maiden name as part of our surname.  I also had to provide a copy of my mother's identity document and death certificate - you may or may not have to do the same.

I have done everything thusfar on the e-Consular system, which is pretty straightforward, but be warned, if you don't speak Portuguese, you'll need someone who does to give you a hand - the website still has a lot of stuff in Portuguese even with the English language option selected!

I have just received my police clearance and have uploaded it to the e-Consular system, and have a few more documents to gather before I complete my application.

How much of what you see below will apply to you, I don't know, as this is from the Cape Town consulate, your consulate may have different requirements, but maybe it will be of help.  I have pasted it verbatim, so there are some spelling errors, the consulate were kind enough to respond in English although I had offered to correspond in Portuguese if they preferred it.

Good luck with your application.

===================================================================================================

Please find below the answers to your questions:

1)   A simple reservation for flying tickets is fine, even if you change it later. No sworn declaration is required. This is just to stablish the parameters of around when you intend to enter Brazil.

2) You can apply for a CPF here at the Consulate, it is free of charge. Please check [link under review] for more information.  It is possible to get a "plano de saúde" without an RNE, you can use your passport and CPF.   

3) A letter from the private pension fund attesting you are their client and is currently receiving a pension of (or equivalent to) XXX US dolars (whichever ammount is your pension), and mentioning for how long you are entitled to receive it, together with the statements of the investment for the last 3 months prior to applying for the visa is enough to be accepted as proof.

4) The documents mentioned in the previous answer, plus your bank statements for the last 03 months showing you have enough available funds to transfer two thousand US dollars monthly (or the equivalent to it at once) will suffice to attest your capacity tho meet this requirement. In other words, your bank statement must reflect a regular monthy income of at least two thousand dollars (or the equivalent to it in rands) OR have an available balance of 24 thousand dollars (or the equivalent in rands).

5) Documents in English, French or Spanish do not require translations, but if they are issued abroad, they have to be apostilled. South African documents do not need to be apostilled nor translated to be accepted by this Consulate.

6) The authorization of residence is valid for two years, but the visa itself is valid for one year, which means by the end of the first year you must go to the federal police to have it extended for another year.

Once the visa is issued by the Consulate, you have up to one year to first enter Brazil, and once there you have 90 days to register to the Federal police - this is when you get your RNE/RNM. Upon completion of the first year of your stay, you must come back to the PF to have the visa extended for the second year granted by your authorization of residence.

If i already own property of R$400,000 can i obtain resident visa? How?

-@detebari

Depends on location - if in NE Brazil you will need to purchase more property of at least R$300,000, or in the rest of Brazil the extra value will need to exceed R$600,000. (This assumes that you initially transferred your funds through the Central Bank of Brazil, and you have the escritura process completed.)

Providing the purchase(s) meet the legal requirements, then previous acquisitions may be considered towards the Golden Visa.

@Peter Itamaraca I received my retirement visa a few months ago. My understanding is that it is temporary or two years, after which I can apply to make it permanent if I have been a good boy.

-@ibdegen

It is possible a visa might require renewing after 12 months, or after 2 years, but then again they may make it permanent at any renewal. My understanding is that they are now moving to 4 years initial grants, but that does not mean that all visas will be like that yet...

I think part of the challenge for us to understand these visas is that this it is all relatively new, and although the law exists, different Policia Federal offices may interpret it in different ways.

So, to be honest, I do not think you will know for sure until you go to the first renewal... Your immigration attorney may have more recent experience of this nearer the time, and be able to advise you of the current position at that time.

@kilobravo

Thank you. very useful information

03/11/24 Ensure to make copies of all passport pages for processing. Fees may apply; consider local payment options like grocery stores.

-@ddj102135

When I was in the immigration process, I scanned my entire passport one two-page spread at at time, including covers, and put the resulting images in a Word document.  Then, when I needed to submit a copy of either the whole passport of selected pages, I printed off what was required.

When the copy needs to be authenticated, it's still  necessary to pay the cartório their authentication fee for each page, but not the copying fee.  And you control the quality of the copy.

An update on my story if it may help anyone.

I received an e-mail from the consulate in Cape Town last week requesting I make an appointment for a personal interview, which I did.

Flew to Cape Town yesterday, went to the consulate and was greeted by a very pleasant and entirely professional lady who asked for my passport and requested I take a seat as I was 30 minutes early for my appointment.

10 minutes later, she re-appeared, called me over and handed back my passport with a smile and a "I hope you will enjoy living in Brasil" - she had the passport open on the page with a brand new VITEM-XIV visa affixed to it, valid for 2 years and renewable thereafter.

She then gave me a document to hand to the Polícia Federal upon my arrival and then called a colleague to witness my signature on the receipt and my CPF application form.

It seems if you follow the consulate's guidelines precisely, have the correct documentation and pay your fee, the process is pretty straightforward.  I will say that the staff at the consulate in Cape Town have been extremely helpful, professional, thoughtful and kind throughout the entire process, and I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

As soon as my apartment has been sold, I am off to Brasil to start anew in the final years of my life, and I am very much looking forward to being near my friends.  Speaking Portuguese fluently will come in time I hope.

I will keep this topic updated as things progress, in case my experiences are of assistance to anyone else.

Thanks to everyone on this site for their advice and encouragement.

On a final and totally separate subject, after asking around and making my own sly investigations, it has, for me anyway, worked out that air freight is the best (and most cost-effective) option for me to move my household goods to Brasil.  I'm not taking furniture or large appliances (wrong mains frequency) so everything I want to take will fit comfortably in an LD9 container (5.5m³ / 600kg), and possibly even in an LD3 container (3.7m³ / 416kg).  It works out cheaper for this quantity by air than by sea, an no chance of the dreaded "demurrage charge" pirates at the dock making things cost more than you bargained for.

Watch this space!

03/13/24 @kilobravo.  Congratulations.  Well done!  Have a great move to Brazil.  With your motivation, I'm confident that you'll master Portuguese in no time.

@abthree  Thank you very much.  I do speak very basic Portuguese, my friends understand me for the most part, the learning curve will be the colloquial stuff.  A friend used "te daria um salve" the other day, and I didn't have the vaguest idea what it meant.  Anyway, learning a new language is supposed to help fend off Alzheimer's - so here's hoping.

@kilobravo

Congratulations... This was fast - only took from Dec 23 to Mar 24....

Please let us know about your air freight experience.  This is also a hot topic for expats.

One additional question: since you are from SA, I understand that the Afrikaans language has a dutch influence.  How easy is it for SA citizens to pick up Portuguese?

I agree with you.  Learning a new language is a great way to force the creation of new neuron connections in the brain - albeit much slower than in a younger brain....  This is also my plan.

Thank you for sharing your journey.  I am sure that others will benefit from your experience on the post.

Parabéns

@Pablo888 Thank you, I'm amazed at how quickly it has all come together, and very thankful too!  The staff at the consulate in Cape Town were really amazing.

Afrikaans is a weird mixture of Dutch and Flemish which has morphed over 400 years into the Afrikaans we speak today.  I'm an English speaker, but I'm fluent in Afrikaans (it's a very expressive language in which to swear!) and can speak Italian reasonably well.

A Brasileiro friend and I always spoke to each other in Italian, he couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Portuguese, and I just found it weird to be unable to speak his home language, especially on my first visit to Brasil where I was somewhat out of my depth with the language, so I decided to learn Portuguese, but the Brazilian version.

I had learned Italian for work using the Michel Thomas system, and decided to try the same system for learning Portuguese knowing that the Michel Thomas course is European Portuguese, but offers an additional set of modules for Brazilian Portuguese.  The next visit to Brasil was MUCH more fun and I surprised my friend by being able to converse (albeit basically) in Portuguese.

My visit to Brasil a few months ago was easier still, being able to talk to strangers and have them understand me was fun, although I still believe it humanly impossible to learn to conjugate verbs!  I think it all comes down to practice and not becoming too serious, just relaxing and enjoying the experience of learning what is a really beautiful language.

For me the best part was discovering that I could appreciate humour in Portuguese, and make people laugh - not at my gringo accent or abysmal grammar - but at the actual content of what I was saying.

Because Afrikaans, and English for that matter, use the neuter form, getting the hang of everything being male or female is a mind-bender.  But what I like to point out is that English and Portuguese have around 20.000 words in common, with either slight differences in spelling or pronunciation, so you already have a vocabulary base from which to work.  Afrikaans, unfortunately isn't based on a Romance Language, so the change to Portuguese might have a slightly steeper learning curve.

I must admit, I still get hung up on knowing which vowel to stress, but I think total immersion will help with that.  Practice makes perfect.  And those blasted verbs....

I think people worry too much about being embarrassed by their accent, lack of vocabulary, faulty grammar or whatever, instead of just trying and failing.  One thing I found with Brazilians - they NEVER laugh at your language mistakes - you might get a smile, but the usual reaction is to repeat what you just said, but with the grammar, vocabulary or accent corrected, which I find a very gentle and kind way of teaching you.

I can listen to a Brazilian speaking English all day, the accent makes even English sound sexy.

I will update my post with experiences going forward, especially with the air freight.

Just find it weird that I can take two cases of booze in my luggage and not have to declare them, but no way can I send it as part of my household goods!  And for some unknowable reason, candles aren't allowed either.

@Drjmagic Obrigado, eu aprecio muito.

@kilobravo thank you for explaining the relationship between the Afrikaan, English, Portuguese, and Italian languages.  You seem to have navigated this maze quite expertly.  Great job.

Re: I can listen to a Brazilian speaking English all day, the accent makes even English sound sexy.

Yes, I also like the almost-singing flow of English words.  Native English speakers always converse in such a boring monotonic fashion - intelligently but the sound contents do not have a lot of frequency diversity.

In your search for the best place to settle in Brazil, I would be interested in knowing where a lot of South Africans have landed in retirement.  The reason for my asking is that - until last June, I planned to retire in Mauritius - where many South Africans are based nowadays.  However, I now find that the small island - although as close to paradise on Earth - feels too small and confining as I am now used to living in large continents.

Welcome to a new adventure....