Retirement Visa for Brazil

Moose
No, I just overwhelmed them with documents. Medicare and VA rarely cover overseas medical. As Abthree says do not provide information unless asked.
I had a 90 day travel medical policy when I came the 3rd time.
I now have friends in the PF and all went well as said I walked over to the RF and got the CPF and then to the SUS and show my protocol granted by the PF. I had to get the FBI report, they would not allow the Texas State Police report. Basically, I was prepared (did work in Brazil on and off) My protocol was for 90 days (normally 10 to 30 days), I was approved without a home visit (no longer required). All were approved in 40 days, except the "hard CRNM" from Brasilia.
Bank even allowed opening an account, but again I used HSBC before they sold to Bradesco, they pulled my US HSBC information and copied my protocol.
Today this is not the norm.
The hardest part was the BR driver's license. The clinic said I could not get a license without speaking Portuguese!  PRF helped me there.

Where did you get this FBI Criminal Background check done in 5 minutes?

I'm beginning this process now of applying for a Retiree Visa...

rraypo wrote:

I had my FBI background check in about 5-minutes. It took longer to fill out the online form and to pay the fee than to get the report, (last month).  The PF is currently waving the 90-day expiration because of COVID

Thank you!

02/10/22

In 2017, and again in 2018 for my naturalization, I got a 24 hour turnaround from a FBI Approved Channeler, with both hard copy and electronic versions.  I understand that the FBI has improved its act considerably since then, and Channelers are more costly, but they're still a viable option.

abthree wrote:

01/18/22

mooseheadlaw wrote:

so I meet that requirement with two pensions, but is that for a married couple or 2k for each spouse? We are both sixty but I'm the only one collecting pension right now.

US$2000 covers you and your spouse.   If you have additional dependents who qualify for Brazilian residency as part of your household,  e.g., aged parents, minor children, disabled adult children dependent on you for support, the requirement is higher.   Guidance should be available on the Consulate website.   If your local Consulate hasn't updated their information, check others.  Last time I looked, Chicago and San Francisco were up to date.

On your other question, you have to prove that you can bring US$2000 into Brazil every month.  If you find once you're here that you can live comfortably on less, you're not required to transfer that much every month, but to qualify for the visa, you are required to show that you have that much available to transfer every month.

Hello from South Africa,

I was wondering if anyone knew, with respect to the above quote, if the income requirement for a Retirement Visa is $2.000 a month for a couple, is it any different for a single retiree?  If I query this with the local consulates, I get the R$6.000 requirement from one and the $2.000 from the other and the consulates don't appear to know if there's any difference for a single retiree.  A bit frustrating to say the least, but I'm sure you're all used to that.

I'm also considering the so-called 'Golden Visa' option, but I'll post about that in the appropriate forum, as it's requirements are also as clear as mud!

How does one go about finding a reliable and trustworthy immigration lawyer / service?  I have looked under 'Services' on here but don't see anything.

Any advice on the single retiree and immigration service questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin.

02/20/22

Hi, Kevin,

The $2000 is per retiree, and includes a spouse if the retiree has one, with no additional requirement.   There are additional requirements for additional dependents.

Unlike the previous one, the current requirement is defined strictly in USD, so don't let yourself be confused by BRL conversions, which can and do change constantly.

Kind of you to reply so quickly.

A single person can live pretty well on almost R$11.000 a month at the latest exchange rates!

Probably the best if I go to the PF in João Pessoa when I'm there, with a pile of Apostilled documents and see exactly what they want for which visa.  Doing it through the local consulates is not going to work too well.

Thanks very much, the information is greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone
I hope someone will be able to provide some advice.
I am a British citizen and national residing in the United Kingdom. I am a pensioner (over 70 years old) and receive my pension paid into my UK bank account in the UK.
I initially arrived in Brazil in December 2020 and intended to return to the UK in February 2021. However due to COVID the return flight was cancelled and the UK imposed a hotel quarantine and payment ca GB £2,000.00 (BRL 14,000.00)  for the duration of the stay in the quarantine hotel. I decided to stay in Brazil until such time the hotel quarantine is lifted by the UK government.
I obtained a CPF and applied at the FP for an extension and thereafter for permanent residency which was granted in May 2021. I obtained my COVID vaccinations in Brazil during the following months.
I departed from Brazil at the beginning of October 2021 and returned to the UK.
In January 2022 I returned to Brazil.
Unfortunately I did not check or realize that the United Kingdom does not have a double taxation treaty with Brazil in order to avoid double taxation on the same income. There is a reciprocal tax agreement in place only.
I do not intend to spend more than 180 days a year in Brazil.
As I understand the situation due to the permanent residency I had become a tax payer whereas if I remained a tourist and non resident I would not be classified as a tax payer and would not need to file a tax return.
How do I avid paying tax in Brazil?
Do I have to become a non resident?
How can I revert to a tourist and non resident?
Any advice and assistance would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

FR267,
What PR did you obtain? This will help answer some questions,
Before you jump the gun, find a tax attorney/account. Everyone's situation is different.

02/20/22

Kevin,

Keep in mind that US$2000 is a minimum requirement, and effectively, the maximum that you're required to prove.  You're free to transfer more.  There's a limit (US$4000 the last time I checked, but it may have risen) above which additional documentation will be required, but if you can prove that the funds are legally earned and you have legitimate reasons to transfer them, you should be good to go.

Aside from a Family Reunion case, the Federal Police ordinarily will not let someone bootstrap a tourist visa into an Authorization for Residency.  If you try, expect the first question to be, "why don't you have the required visa?"  You'll need a very good answer, and expect them to confirm it with the Foreign Ministry.  Some Brazilian Consulates have completely stopped issuing visas of any kind because of the pandemic; if that's your case, you may have some luck.   If you're successful, please let us know how you did it.

As for your other questions, only about 2% of the population of Brazil was foreign born the last time I checked, so Immigration Law is not the attractive, remunerative field here that it is in North America.  It might be possible to find an immigration lawyer or two in São Paulo, Rio, or Brasília, but it's highly doubtful in a small , out of the way capital like João Pessoa.  My usual advice is to find a good, smart general attorney who enjoys learning on the job if you need legal help with immigration.  A younger one who recently went into practice will probably have more current knowledge, better research skills, and is more likely to speak at least some English.  The best way to find someone is by referral from Brazilian family and friends.  If that's not possible, you can identify people to interview through www.jusbrasil.com.br.  You should schedule in-person interviews for when you're in Brazil:  this it not something to try to accomplish remotely.

To the best of my knowledge, Brazil does not have a "Golden Visa" program, in the classic sense of the small countries, usually islands, that are willing to sell a passport to a very rich person for a large "contribution" or "investment".  Brazil is fairly permissive with its permanent residents, but pretty tight about passports. 

Brazil does have an investment visa, with financial commitment requirements that vary according to region, lower for the Northeast and North, higher for the Southeast and South.  Technically, an investment visaholder can be approved for temporary residence, but there are no limits on renewals, so it amounts to permanent residence.  Passports only come through naturalization, which is another, complicated, process.

MA22 wrote:
rraypo wrote:

I had my FBI background check in about 5-minutes. It took longer to fill out the online form and to pay the fee than to get the report, (last month).  The PF is currently waving the 90-day expiration because of COVID

Thank you!

___

Good morning and I am very sorry for my delay, I simply did not see your reply until just now. The FBI background check was absolutely fast and easy. Their fingerprinting can be completed is several ways, including going to one of about a hundred USPS locations to have digital fingerprinting done, which makes the process instant.

Here is the link to the U.S. Department of Justice, FBI, for all of your information.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident … ary-checks

Here is the specific link to begin your FBI background check process.  I filled in their application online and paid my fee online.  There is a link to make an appointment with the USPS to have your biometrics done just as soon as you pay your FBI fee for the background check. For me, my nearest USPS that was set up to do the fingerprinting was about 275 miles each way.  I made the drive to Portland, Oregon, had mine done, and as soon as I paid and the gentleman clicked "ENTER", my phone buzzed with my competed FBI results emailed to me. I had a hard copy in the mail about a week later.  In my initial list of questions to the Brazilian Consulate, I was working with, I had asked if they wanted the hard copy or a printed one from the emailed copy.  They happily accepted my computer printed version. I found the entire VITEM XI process to be simple and the Consulate was VERY professional and fast. Just complete the Consulate checklist and mail it all in, nothing more. 

https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/

Hi Texanbrazil

I received an Indeterminado Residente with Residente Card and RNM number.

I have consulted lawyers and accountants but nobody seems to know what the best solution would be. As a precautionary measure I have filed on line the CSD  Comunicacao de Saida Definitiva do Pais bearing in mind the end of February deadline.

This is no surprise about knowledge on this subject.
Does your card have an expiration date?
I was told if I was out of BR for 2 years, then return it would be under review.
I am no expert on BR taxes. Brazil does recognize that federal taxes paid in the UK, Germany, and the USA can be used as a relief to tax which may be payable in Brazil. However, non-disclosure of that income can lead to issues and penalties.
What they are, I am not sure.

Hi this is my integration lawyer phone number +55 91 9124-9210
He is based in North Brazil - Belem in Amazonia. They do the practice online. You can mention that you have his number from Joanna. He is dealing with my case now. It's not a retired visa but maybe he could help. There is a bunch of lawyers dealing with my case.

Hi Texanbrazil and Jawaf
Thank you for your replies.
There is no expire date on my card.
I am in the south east of Brazil R.S.
The basic tax in the UK is 20% and in Brazil 27%.
I guess my best route is to return to a tourist visa and have an accountant file the definite exit declaration DSDP and Income tax DIRPF. 
The question I have is how do I return to a Tourist status?
Do I have to go to the FP and declare I no longer wish to be a Residente?

FR267
If you return to the tourist visa you realize your under 90 days stay with a possible extension?

Hi Texanbrazil

Thank you for reminding me of the limit. That is a good point.

I understand there is a limit of a total of 183 days per year. 90 days plus an extension.

However how does that work?

If I wanted to stay 180 days spread over to parts in one year. Let's say 90 days at the beginning of the year January (31 days) February (28/29 days) and March (31 days) and 90 days at the end of the year October (29 days) November 30 days and December 31 days.
Would I have to start with my stay as a tourist in October and apply for an extension in order to carry on with my stay into January, February and March or can I obtain an extension in January and leave the country in March and return in October of the same year and use up the remaining 90 days?

It is a rolling calendar year
For most with a visa, this is 180 days within a 1-year window. Meaning, from your first entry, you have a MAXIMUM of 180 days to spend in Brazil in the next 365 days. After 365 days have passed, you get to start over.

02/21/22

Texanbrazil wrote:

It is a rolling calendar year
For most with a visa, this is 180 days within a 1-year window. Meaning, from your first entry, you have a MAXIMUM of 180 days to spend in Brazil in the next 365 days. After 365 days have passed, you get to start over.

To say the same thing in a way that you might find helpful to your planning,  every time you enter Brazil, the Immigration system looks BACK over the past twelve months, totals the number of days that you were in Brazil during that time, and deducts that number from 180.  The result is the number of days that you have available.   As Texanbrazil said, it's a rolling twelve month cycle, so the oldest month drops off on the first of each month, and any days spent in Brazil that month become available to you again.

For most citizens of EU countries, the backward look is six months rather than twelve, and the available days are 90 rather than 180, but it still comes to a maximum of 180 days a year, just distributed differently.

Great explanation abthree

Hi Texanbrazil a& abthree

Thank you for your explicit  explanations with regard to how the days are counted.

02/22/22

FR267 wrote:

Hi Texanbrazil a& abthree

Thank you for your explicit  explanations with regard to how the days are counted.

Sure thing.  :top:

We both spent considerable time working in Brazil on temporary business visas.  In that context, counting days becomes a job skill.

The time limit on a VITEM II visa is similar to a Tourist Visa  - 180 days in every 365, max, and you're constantly balancing project schedules with available visa time for maximum productivity; being denied admission for running out of days is flat unacceptable.

What if you are married to a Brazilian with dual citizenship? Does that make a difference?

06/30/22 What if you are married to a Brazilian with dual citizenship? Does that make a difference?

- @56tbourne

No, as long as the spouse has not renounced his/her Brazilian citizenship, and is a resident of Brazil.   If s/he has claimed to be a non-resident of Brazil for tax purposes and plans to maintain that status, however,  the couple should consult with a Brazilian attorney to understand any implications for the non-Brazilian spouse's residency application.
So I would still apply for a visa regardless?
06/30/22 If your plan is to live in Brazil, sure. 1f600.svg
Sorry to hijack the thread I'm in a bit of a bind. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get the family reunion visa while in Brazil. I tried to get one in the US but they asked for a stable union which I didn't have until now. My partner and I are expecting a baby in December and I'm hitting the limit on the 90/180 days. I plan on going to the federal police to get a 90 day extension to buy me some time. Also how long would it take to get the visa? Thanks
06/30/22 Sorry to hijack the thread I'm in a bit of a bind. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get the family reunion visa while in Brazil. I tried to get one in the US but they asked for a stable union which I didn't have until now. My partner and I are expecting a baby in December and I'm hitting the limit on the 90/180 days. I plan on going to the federal police to get a 90 day extension to buy me some time. Also how long would it take to get the visa? Thanks
- @vtu

Hi, vtu,

Resident visas are only issued by Brazilian Consulates abroad.  When you're already in Brazil, you apply to the Federal Police for an Authorization of Residency.  Although Authorizations of Residency ordinarily won't be granted to people in the country on tourist visas, there's an exception for applications based on family reunion, for which you may qualify.  You definitely should extend your current visa before it expires:  being in the country illegally will make everything much harder for you, so you need to avoid that.

You say that you now have a "união estável":   does that mean that your relationship has been registered in a cartório?  If so, you should be able to apply for an Authorization of Residency, if you can assemble the required documents from the US.  If not, you should consult an attorney about getting your partnership registered.

If your relationship is registered, you should get started on your residency application and get it into the Federal Police before your visa expires.  The checklist for the documents you'll need is here:

US documents will require apostilles and Sworn Translations.  Feel free to post any questions. 
abthree has given you important information.
Yes, you are in a timeline bind!
You are now dealing with a government that is not proactive and the US where you need documents translated and apostilled. (You may need the help of an electronic  company similar to Apostillepro, They accepted electronic documents and translate and submit them for apostille.)
You must get the marriage accepted at the cartório to begin working with the PF. Is your partner Brazilian? You will need to take her with you to verify all information on the application and work with the cartório. With the birth coming in November she may not feel like going everywhere.
Do not forget the Federal Background check. You may require another "channeler" to help get this in a timely manner.

@abthree @Texanbrazil

Thanks yes I'm in a bit of a bind. My partner is Brazilian and we got our stable union done at the Cartorio recently. I went to the federal police today but my partner forgot her ID card and couldn't come in to translate for me. I talked to a lady that spoke passable English but was told they couldn't extend my stay and told me to leave by July 10 and come back July 14 and my stay will reset. Not sure how that works since it's suppose to be a 90/180 rolling calendar. Or I can overstay come back pay a fine and she'll give me a 60 day extension. I do have my fbi background check but it's about 1 week past the 3month limit and a copy of my birth certificate. But neither are translated and apostilled
In my opinion, I would not overstay and raise any red flags,
Could you go to Chile or Argentina and stay a few days. You do not need a visa for Chile or Argentina. This does not help in obtaining the US documents
You can fly to Foz do Iguacu and cross by land, but be sure to have your passport stamp when leaving BR.
07/01/22  vtu -- ok, you're not in terrible shape.

I would recommend going back to the Federal Police again next week and trying again, this time WITH your partner.  From now on, she should plan on being glued to your hip every time you go to the Federal Police until you have your CRNM -- if she forgets her ID, you two need to go home and get it.  That is one corner that does NOT get cut.

During the period counting back twelve months from TODAY, how many days were you in Brazil?  If it was 180 days or more, you're going to have to leave and come back;  in that case, Texanbrazil's ideas on that subject are worth checking out.  If it was less, you may be able to work something out.  If the PF won't budge, this is the point where your partner takes over the conversation and says, "we're having a baby in December and I really need him here.  Can't he apply for residency now, please?"

Being a few days over on your FBI Background Check isn't necessarily a problem, if the PF thinks that you're a nice, respectful guy and your request is totally legit -- which the presence of your partner helps prove.  You'll need Sworn Translations of your documents.  Get copies and scans made, if you don't have them already.  You can do a web search for "Tradutores Juramentados" in São Paulo (or wherever you are) and start calling them if you want to deal with someone face to face.  If you're comfortable working with an online service, I've been very happy with fidelity.com.br   They can work from scans, and will give you a quote for all the documents you need.  You'll need to be able to print out the translations, and they'll have electronic signatures, which are legal but the PF may need to have explained to them.

For apostilles, contact https://www.nationalapostille.com/ to see what they can do for you, and how much it will cost; I believe that they will work with scans as well.  They may need to obtain new documents for you as well as apostilles, since I'm not sure that they can just obtain the apostille, but I believe that they do both.

Remember that Monday is a big holiday stateside, so don't freak out if you don't get immediate answers, although you may.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
@abthree
Thanks much appreciated. I just counted all of the days I've been in brazil for 170 days this past year. We plan on going back on Monday to ask about the family reunion visa and try to see if some extension is possible.
My experience was years ago for the same permanent residency. As suggest your partner need to be there because your status is not married it a agreement between you and in Brazil eyes she is sponsoring you for your residency. This is what the Federal Police said if we split up I could loose my permanent residency. I not sure how true this is but when I got approved they gave me a 6 month extension. They said it could take 3 to 4 months to get my card. This is where you not having your partner there they didn't process you.
@abthree I would appreciate some help re residency and the retirement visa, is this classed as residency or a visa. I have permanent residency in Portugal although I have a UK passport. I would like to spen a year or so in Brazil and don't want to lose my rights in Portugal as I have assets there.
Thanks for any help
Last November, the rules for getting a retirement visa changed with the passage of RN40. Now, retirees get a temporary visa. And instead of just cash, other sources of income such as bonds and stocks can be used to meet the financial stability requirement.
The other general requirements to get the visa are the same. You have to go to your local Brazilian consulate and ask for your visa. There you'll fill out a form, pay the fees, and provide documents such as your passport, certificate of criminal records, and proof of retirement.
If you're already in Brazil, the process changes slightly. You'll have to ask for residency and provide the same documents to the Ministry of  Justice. The application is also a little different.
The initial term of the temporary visa and residency is up to two years, as decided by the Federal Police. If two years isn't enough, you can always request to renew the visa or even ask for a permanent visa.
07/15/22  @abthree I would appreciate some help re residency and the retirement visa, is this classed as residency or a visa. I have permanent residency in Portugal although I have a UK passport. I would like to spen a year or so in Brazil and don't want to lose my rights in Portugal as I have assets there.
Thanks for any help
- @ltoby955

Welcome, Itoby955!

That would depend completely on the terms of your Permanent Residency in Portugal.  Brazil would extend you temporary residency as a retiree that seemingly can be extended indefinitely under the current rules; once extended, you can be out of Brazil for up to two continuous years without losing it.  If your Portuguese Permanent Residency enables you to be out of Portugal for the length of time that you plan to be in Brazil, I don't see any reason that you couldn't keep the two by balancing your time between them to avoid deadlines.

@Texanbrazil Do you know where to start this process for the retirement visa if I'm already in Brazil? Is the end result the same if I was applying at a consultant outside of the US or am I actually applying for residency when I apply inside of Brazil? Would it be better to hire someone to do it for me here in Brasília? Would it be an immigration lawyer? Thanks!

@Texanbrazil Do you know where to start this process for the retirement visa if I'm already in Brazil? Is the end result the same if I was applying at a consultant outside of the US or am I actually applying for residency when I apply inside of Brazil? Would it be better to hire someone to do it for me here in Brasília? Would it be an immigration lawyer? Thanks!

@jasonlovesdogs
You need to begin at your PF office along with all documents. I have never used a third party to assist with a visa. If you read and gather all documents required, it is my opinion there is no need for a lawyer.

@abthree  Hi thanks for the reply, I have permanent residency and I can leave for up to two years, it is my intention to go back to Portugal for 2 months per year maybe three and that would start tyhe two years again here I guess. Can I also declare tax in both countries, not sure if anyone has done that?