Retirement Visa for Brazil

07/19/22 @abthree  Hi thanks for the reply, I have permanent residency and I can leave for up to two years, it is my intention to go back to Portugal for 2 months per year maybe three and that would start tyhe two years again here I guess. Can I also declare tax in both countries, not sure if anyone has done that?

- @ltoby955

Neither country should object.  It would be a good idea to discuss your situation with your Portuguese accountant at some point in your planning, and with your Brazilian accountant after you get established here, to ensure that you're not overpaying in either place.  Enough Portuguese and Brazilian citizens move back and forth between the two countries that there are probably standards already on place for analyzing their relative tax liabilities.

@abthree  Hi thanks for the reply, I have permanent residency and I can leave for up to two years, it is my intention to go back to Portugal for 2 months per year maybe three and that would start tyhe two years again here I guess. Can I also declare tax in both countries, not sure if anyone has done that?

- @ltoby955

I think you will find that a lot of us do this. I too have Brasilian Residency but split my time still in the USA

@rraypo I asked on a Portuguese forum and the admin said no, I wasn't going to argue, I checked with our Frontier rules and it says two years without any permission and there is no time limit for being back in Portugal, so I guess a month or two will suffice. I will pop in two tax returns one in Brazil and one in Portugal, do you have to do the same re tax?

@abthree Ok thanks my pensions are tax free in Portugal for the next five years so its only tax on my salary from my teaching that I will pay tax on there, and then pay tax in Brazil. Thank you for the advice I will talk to my Accountant. I believe that the only document I need to get done in Portugal is the criminal record? is that correct?

07/19/22 @abthree Ok thanks my pensions are tax free in Portugal for the next five years so its only tax on my salary from my teaching that I will pay tax on there, and then pay tax in Brazil. Thank you for the advice I will talk to my Accountant. I believe that the only document I need to get done in Portugal is the criminal record? is that correct?

- @ltoby955

The documentation requirements are summarized here:

You'll need a criminal background check from every country where you've lived during the five years previous to your application.  If that's only Portugal, you'll only need Portugal.  If you've been in Portugal less than five years, you'll need one from the previous country as well.

@abthree Hi yes I have been in Portugal for just over seven years, My partner lives in Brazil so its a case of requiring a visa that exceeds the 180 days, I see you have to have in excess of 2,000 Us dollars per month as income. I have over two thousand  but that includes salary. If I bring proof of last years tax return in Portugal along with proof of pensions would that suffice?

07/19/22 @abthree Hi yes I have been in Portugal for just over seven years, My partner lives in Brazil so its a case of requiring a visa that exceeds the 180 days, I see you have to have in excess of 2,000 Us dollars per month as income. I have over two thousand  but that includes salary. If I bring proof of last years tax return in Portugal along with proof of pensions would that suffice?

- @ltoby955

If your partner is a Brazilian citizen or permanent resident, you should seriously consider residency on the basis of family reunion rather than retirement:  there are fewer restrictions and no income requirement.

If you think that retirement is the way to go, you should apply for the VITEM XIV retirement visa at the Brazilian Consulate closest to where you live in Portugal.  They'll probably accept your proof of income, and with the visa, you should have no difficulties with the Federal Police.

@abthree Many thanks, is there a minimum time you have to have been together to get a family reunion, here it is two years.

07/20/22 @abthree Many thanks, is there a minimum time you have to have been together to get a family reunion, here it is two years.

- @ltoby955

If you're married, there's no time limit at all:  we were married in the US, and as soon as the County Clerk issued our marriage certificate, we registered it at the Consulate, applied for my visa, and we were on our way.  Same for a legally registered Domestic Partnership/ "União Estável".

For an informal União Estável, the authorities usually look for evidence that the couple has been together for at least a year.
Okay thanks, I think the retirment visa is the way ahead. Can I ask, once you have submitted the form for the retirement visa in your own country can you travel to Brazil or must you wait here as I am in Portugal?
Once the visa is granted, you may enter Brazil. Go to the PF office and complete the visa. The PF has the final say on immigration.

@abthree Hi yes I have been in Portugal for just over seven years, My partner lives in Brazil so its a case of requiring a visa that exceeds the 180 days, I see you have to have in excess of 2,000 Us dollars per month as income. I have over two thousand  but that includes salary. If I bring proof of last years tax return in Portugal along with proof of pensions would that suffice?

- @ltoby955

If you base your income on a salary and that job is gone, You may have an issue with receiving a retirement visa or renewing the visa in Brazil.
I may be misinterpreting the issue, but you may have to renew a retirement visa and provide proof of cash, bonds, and 
stocks.
07/20/22 Okay thanks, I think the retirment visa is the way ahead. Can I ask, once you have submitted the form for the retirement visa in your own country can you travel to Brazil or must you wait here as I am in Portugal?
- @ltoby955

I would think that you can apply for the visa at the nearest Brazilian Consulate there in Portugal, as long as you have the necessary documents.  It should only take a couple of weeks -- I doubt that they're processing very many there.  The Consulate will keep your passport in order to insert the visa, so you're stuck there until your passport comes back.

As Texanbrazil says, you'll need to complete the process at the Polícia Federal when you arrive in Brazil for the first time on the Retirement Visa, so be sure to do that ASAP.  Your partner should go with you.  They'll need a set of the documents listed on their checklist, and in a couple of weeks, you'll go back to pick up your CRNM, your ID Card.   

@Texanbrazil Ok thanks for your help.

@Texanbrazil On Salary I am self-employed, I teach English online and have last years tax return. I guess that will be OK?

@abthree Thanks very much for the inforamtion you have been very helpful.

@NewBrazil
They told me to come back after my visa expires so they can give me another 60 days the last time I went with my SO and said I could come back. Today, they gave me the 60 days as expected and the fine but when I asked again if I can leave in three weeks and come back a few weeks after she said she wasn't sure. We have an appointment for the family reunion visa in one week but my fbi check is about 4months old now, I was born in another country and don't have the original birth certificate I have a feeling I'll need to go back and get it apostilled. Anyone know if I'll be likely turned away from reentering and what I can do to avoid it since my SO is pregnant.

@vtu What are the requirements for a family reunion visa?

@Viajanete  try these guys
World wide animal travel
animaltravel.com

There is a video on youtube about a guy who has a small alligator that he has recently registered as a support animal.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall on the day he decides to try and fly with it......
There is a video on youtube about a guy who has a small alligator that he has recently registered as a support animal.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall on the day he decides to try and fly with it......
- @Inubia

Having been a landlord in the USA for almost 35 years, your comment is absolutely 100% believable. Just when you think you have seen it all, something yet more shocking happens. Isn't the very idea of having a pet, any pet, emotionally supportive? Of course, it is, that is why any of us have pets, any kinds of pets, to begin with.

I grew up in Guide Dogs for the blind and completely appreciated what animals can do to help us. However, this has all be so abused lately, it makes me so sad.

youtube.com/watch?v=0TDYDNTK_oo

I wanted to know if anyone can provide first-hand experience on the renewal of their retirement visa? I'm an American expat living in Rio de Janeiro (since May 2021) on the most recent retirement visa. My visa/CRNM expires in April 2023 and so I'm just trying to gather information to ease the process. I understand that I'll need to go back to the same Federal Police location (Santo Domingo Airport) that validated my visa and issued my CRNM. However, I haven't yet seen anyone (on this forum) mention their experience in the renewal process.

As aforementioned, I'm just trying to gather info if anyone is willing to share their experience. I still have nightmares (j/k) about the experience of getting the CRNM... specifically the repeated visits over about a two-month period due to poor customer service and often inaccurate/conflicting information provided by immigration representatives. That said, I'm trying to avoid those issues the next time around.   

10/20/22 @dgwarmyman.  Hi.  I normally don't respond to posts if I don't have definite information to offer, but I just noticed that this post has gone unanswered since August, and I don't want you to think that it's being ignored.

The problem is that I don't think anyone has a good answer for you yet:  this iteration of the the Retirement Visa is still so new that the first ones are probably only starting to come up for renewal about now.  In fact, you're close enough to the head of the line that when you go to renew, chances are that you'll be advising the rest of us about how it's done.

I hope that now you're settled in, and your experience of Brazil is improving after that rough start.

I am not sure as to Santo Domingo Airport<But my guess is you will need to show your fund showing proof of income and address would what they need. If nothing has changed. You should be good to go.

10/20/22  The PF office in Rio that processes CRNMs used to be at Santos Dumont Airport; probably still is.  I imagine that's what he means.  😉

Greetings from Governador Valadares!  Haven't been on in a while, but I'll add a quick reply as well.  I will also be due to renew my retirement (temp) status, expiring in March 2023.  When I was approved for the first two years, they told me that I would be able to start the renewal process online (although a personal meet-up would be necessary to confirm/verify it all before March).  The officer suggested I start the process in January, i.e., within the 90-day window for the background check.  I haven't yet looked online to see what forms will be needed, but I will check back here again to share what I learn.

I will soon be moving to Brazil with the goal of obtaining a retirement visa. I would appreciate any advice as to how to go about it. For example, should I start the process at a Brazilian consulate in the US, or should I order my FBI report shortly before I leave for Brazil so it arrives shortly after I do, and then start the process in Brazil? Is this something I will need a Brazilian lawyer for?

Thanks in advance.

It is easier to obtain documents, plus notarization when required, apostille when required, and even certified translation, while still in the USA.  Some of these can take many weeks to accomplish.

10/28/22 I will soon be moving to Brazil with the goal of obtaining a retirement visa. I would appreciate any advice as to how to go about it. For example, should I start the process at a Brazilian consulate in the US, or should I order my FBI report shortly before I leave for Brazil so it arrives shortly after I do, and then start the process in Brazil? Is this something I will need a Brazilian lawyer for?
Thanks in advance.
-@ibdegen

You should get the retirement visa through the Brazilian Consulate while still in the US, then go to the Federal Police with the visa and your documents shortly after your arrival in Brazil.  Everything that you present to the Federal Police, especially your proof of income, will come under far less scrutiny with them if it's all been vetted by the Foreign Ministry through the Consulate first.  As Inubia has said, it's much easier to obtain any missing or additional documents requested while still in the the US than it is from Brazil.

In fact, I agree with everything that Inubia said about documents, except regarding Sworn Translations.  You won't need translations for the Consulate but you will for the Federal Police, and you should have your Sworn Translations done in Brazil, unless you can be certain that the translator has satisfied the requirements of Brazilian law, and his/her authorization by the Junta Comercial of a Brazilian state appears on the Sworn Translation in a way that the Federal Police can cross-check it.  Without that authorization, the Federal Police will reject the translations without reading them.  If they're done in the US, ask upfront for a money-back guarantee if your documents are rejected:  that will separate the real Sworn Translators from the "just as good" translators.

10/28/22 @Viajanete.  So glad to hear that things are going well for you in Minas!  We'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress in renewing your Retirement Visa -- we're already starting to see questions on that, so I know that it will be very helpful.  Good luck, but having navigated the system successfully once, I'm sure that you'll do it again. 👍🏻

Follow up- @abthree Thank you so much for your advice. I tried to contact the San Francisco, CA consulate, but they are not taking calls because of Covid. Its website has an informational document about retirement visas, however, which has stricter requirements and higher fees than those I have read about on Brazil's websites. So I spoke to a wonderful attorney in Brazil who was recommended through this forum who tells me it is easier, faster, and cheaper to wait until I am in Brazil to process the application. I am informed that the local consulates often inflate the charges and fees required by Brazil law, and add requirements that aren't needed in Brazil.  Therefore, I will gather the required documents and bring them with me. It will be worthwhile using the Brazilian attorney for the peace of mind to know it is being done right.

-@ibdegen

The SF Consulate has been absolutely excellent with us in replying to our direct emails, often within minutes, even during weekends. They have provided explicit answers to our questions, (my Brasian wife has needs their help too).

If anything Covid really improved their level of service.

11/01/22 Follow up- @abthree Thank you so much for your advice. I tried to contact the San Francisco, CA consulate, but they are not taking calls because of Covid. Its website has an informational document about retirement visas, however, which has stricter requirements and higher fees than those I have read about on Brazil's websites. So I spoke to a wonderful attorney in Brazil who was recommended through this forum who tells me it is easier, faster, and cheaper to wait until I am in Brazil to process the application. I am informed that the local consulates often inflate the charges and fees required by Brazil law, and add requirements that aren't needed in Brazil. Therefore, I will gather the required documents and bring them with me. It will be worthwhile using the Brazilian attorney for the peace of mind to know it is being done right.
-@ibdegen

Thanks for the follow-up.  If you're going to try the Authorization for Residency route through the Federal Police with a tourist visa, I think that you're very wise to be working with an attorney.  Just make sure that you have all of your documents before you come to Brazil, and don't let the time get away from you -- 90 days can pass faster than we think.  Best of luck.

@dgwarmyman Did you mean Santos Dumont airport?

@dgwarmyman Yes, Please keep us up to date of the renewal process. I will be visiting the PF at Santos Dumont Rio for my first CRNM/RNM in December. Using the guidelines from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and University of Sao Paulo and references along with the PF checklist.

@Texanbrazil I believe that he means Santos Dumont. The PF imigration office was moved from GIG to Santos Dumont in Rio de janeiro.

I would like to know more about Brazil and USA taxes once in Brazil on a Retirement Visa living only on pension not working either place.

Ron

Its complicated.

We advise you to obtain the services of a competent Brazilian tax accountaint familiar with the expat laws.

Basically, both Brazil and the USA will levy taxes on your entire worldwide earnings.

The rates of taxation are generally significantly higher in Brazil, but mostly, Brazil will give you credit for the taxes you paid in the USA so do your USA forms first.

There are a lot of peculiarities in both countries, so if you plan in advance, there are ways to reduce your taxation exposure.

For example, where is your legal address now?  As in, where does your pension account have your address? 

Your banking accounts?  Because if you can demonstrate residence in Brazil then you can escape state income taxes in USA.

Its good you are starting to think about this .....it requires considerable attention, its a difficult subject and there are not very many real experts anywhere......

@Inubia

Thanks for the information, I will become a Brazil Resident under the Retirement Visa. ( and just renew when required) I actually spoke with some ex pats in Rio from USA using the Retirement Visa - they are living also only on pension not working and they stated they have no clue they just file USA returns and don't deal with the Brazil Tax stuff. They said when they renewed their Retirement Visa no tax papers were needed from either country.

My address will be in Brazil. Living only on my pension benefit from USA.

I heard just the opposite to do Brazil first then USA claiming the Foreign Tax credits .

Its all pretty confusing because one is relying on the other.

But I don't want trouble. I will talk to a Brazil Tax person to see if that is possible to just deduct the taxes paid in USA on the Brazil return.  Off course the Brazil tax is 27.5 percent my USA is like 12 percent....

All the ex pats in brazil that live only from pensions ( not working) are all very confused so they only pay USA taxes and say its never been an issue.