Are there any paper specifications for the form FD-258?

I am wondering if there are any paper specifications for the form FD-258 since most fingerprint card papers are thicker and heavier.
I am on a tight time frame, ordering forms online and have them delivered would take a lot of time, printing is an option but I have read that there is a high rejection rate. 
Does anyone know how long it takes to process history summary check?
Thank you in advance.

I ran into this problem before with another member who needed a Form FD-258. The member insisted that she was told that the California DOJ only accepts the original "hard card", and will not process the downloadable form available on the internet. She actually had a family member obtain one from the DOJ and FEDEX one to her here in Brazil.

While I have sent an e-mail to them asking for clarification on the matter, requesting that they respond to 3 specific questions:

1.  Do they accept the downloaded form?

2.  If not, then WHY is it even available as a download?

3.  If not, the WHY isn't it available at every US Embassy and Consulate worldwide?

To date nobody at the California Department of Justice has seen fit to answer my e-mail.

I'd suggest that you do exactly the same as our other member if you have the time. Have a family member pick one up and FEDEX it to you here. Just remember that you must have your fingerprints rolled by an (on duty) law enforcement officer who must stamp and sign the form. This can be done either by the Policia Federal or Policia Civil, but I would recommend the former.

Cheers,
James          Expat-blog Experts Team

Just got an e-mail reply from the California Department of Justice.

The FBI will accept the downloadable version of the FD-258, but remember that your fingerprints MUST be taken by an (on duty) law enforcement officer, stamped and signed by him/her. If possible it should be printed on slightly heavier paper than ordinary copy paper, possibly business card sheets that are available would be good for this.

The California DOJ stated emphatically that THEY do not accept anything but the original "hard card", but added that if you wanted to send them your mailing address they would mail one out to you upon request.

Their e-mail address is      [email protected]

thank you so much James, I called the FBI office and they said that I could print it (FD-258) on a regular copier paper. I actually sent two copies of form FD-258, one with a regular copier paper and the other one was with a paper meant for calling cards which is much thicker. i'm hoping that they would accept the forms that i sent.

obet quicho wrote:

thank you so much James, I called the FBI office and they said that I could print it (FD-258) on a regular copier paper. I actually sent two copies of form FD-258, one with a regular copier paper and the other one was with a paper meant for calling cards which is much thicker. i'm hoping that they would accept the forms that i sent.

Obet quicho, how quick is the turnaround for an FBI background check?  I'm the other poster that James was referring to...and yes,  I had to go through a lot of hassle to get my background check from the California DOJ ...but luckily, the turnaround was less than two weeks.  My sister in the U.S. sent off my fingerprint card on a Tuesday and she received my background check the following Saturday, so it took 11 days. Now, she is getting it legalized for me at the local Brazilian consulate and then she'll FedEx it back to me here in Brazil. Good luck and you can PM me if you have any questions. Hopefully, I can be of assistance since I've been through a similar process.

hi victoria, I called them up and told me that they are processing a lot of applications right now. it will take them at least 16 weeks to process my request. they are not allowed to expedite any applications for some reason they did not say, but most probably because of the many applicants; backlog perhaps. how I wish that turnaround time for me is also two weeks ;)  thank you for offering assistance, you will definitely hear from me if I have questions. God Bless