Retirement Visa for Brazil

Can anyone here provide a link to the formulário used to request an  extension of the retirement visa (VITEM XIV, most recently,  apparently, of 18 July 2022). My google skills and emails to the local  PF keep taking me to the formulário for an initial request for renewing the digital nomad visa (also a VITEM XIV), with questions as to my professional certifications and experience. Advice?  And thanks. My collection of documents and comprovantes is (barring any surprises) nearly complete, ready to be sent to the certified translator. Just need that dang request form.  Again, thanks.

02/06/23 Hi, Viajanete -- so good to see you again.  Glad that things seem to be going well.

I would recommend starting with the "Navegação Guiada" here:

https://www.gov.br/pt-br/servicos/prorr … no-brasil#

After you respond that yes, you're in Brazil, hit "Eu quero obter, renovar, alterar, ou registrar AUTORIZAÇÃO DE RESIDÊNCIA no Brasil.

YES, you have been conceded an Authorization of Residency

Check the Documentation page, and go to  "Registrar-se como estrangeiro no Brasil"

Fill out the form on the basis of "Registro com base em publicação no Diário Oficial da União"; that will be your choice on the electronic form under "Type of Registration".

I can't go any farther on the form, but I think that should work. 

Thanks so much for the step-by- step.   I'll give it a try tomorrow and keep you posted on the results. 

Yes, found the formulário  as described (thanks again), got my oficial translations of birth certificate,  proof of finances, and FBI background check today (originals apostilled of course), and am ready for the photo (remind me of the size?) and payment and the setting up of the interview with the Fed Police.  My status is good until 10th of March. Should be good, even with Carnaval.  Funny how quickly 90 days can pass, though, right?  Thanks again everyone! 

02/14/23  @Viajanete.  photo should be 3 cm x 4 cm., white background.

Great job so far -- good luck with the rest!

One little comment related to prior posts:

When I inquired the San Francisco consulate specifically advised that there is no minimum age requirement for the retirement visa despite mentions of a 60 year old requirement here.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

02/15/23 One little comment related to prior posts:
When I inquired the San Francisco consulate specifically advised that there is no minimum age requirement for the retirement visa despite mentions of a 60 year old requirement here.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
-@thetravelfox

That is true.  The old Retirement Visa had a minimum retirement age, but that visa was terminated  for new applicants when the current visa scheme went into effect in November 2017.

The present Retirement Visa was created in 2020.  It is not a continuation of the old one, but an entirely new visa, and does not retain the age requirement of its predecessor.  The government could reintroduce an age requirement at any time, but has not up to now.

Help me out with this...

I'm filling out the formulário to renew my temp resident status due to retirement.  I'm stuck on the box 3.10 on the 3rd page (#3 Imigrante, just in case anyone is actually familiar with the form) that asks for Número do Documento de Viagem.  I've tried all kinds of configurations, starting with my p.p. number, and in response to error messages (i.e., "Document with type passport must have country," also, "Tipo documento NÚMERO DOCUMENTO VIAGEM é obrigatório. Deve possuir no mínimo 4 e no máximo 18 caracteres. "

I've played with putting USA and P (type of my passport) along with the number, sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes with spaces,  sometimes not. Any suggestions?   Has anyone run into something similar? Thanks!

03/03/23 @Viajanete.  "Documento de Viagem" normally means Passport Number.  Does that not work?  Have you tried putting just "US" either before or after your passport number?  Just guessing here.

Yup. Thanks. I've tried everything/ way I could think of, starting with just the number. Then with error msgs saying stuff about the type and the country, I started scrambling the order: P USA  #,

P #, P# USA, etc. I tried Estados Unidos,  EEUU, all to no avail. I was hoping someone else had confronted this issue on some formulário or another. I kind of think it might be a computer glitch, but it shows I haven't fully completed formulário,  and i worry that's grounds for denial (or a fine ... i have only a week to get it submitted to the DoJ ).  Again, thanks.  If the question stumps YOU, i know it's not just my Portuguese! 😁

03/03/23. And just "US"? In a lot of systems, country codes are two letters.

Hmm. I'll try. Thanks

03/03/23 Viajanete, is this what you're looking at  on your screen?

https://portaldeimigracao.mj.gov.br/ima … -%20MJ.pdf

That's the site, but we're up to version 2.0 apparently.  Those pages aren't exactly what I'm dealing with, but it's the general idea.  I do think it's a glitch. I took your advice and just used US.  No error message on THAT. Instead, it claimed I couldn't go forward until I entered my nationality in another box - which, of course I had done.  The frustrating part is that if shut down, that page and all the correct info gets erased. Thank goodness the other pages still retain their saved info. I did find an email address and ph number to call if there are questions. I'll try again tomorrow after my computer gets a rest.>

03/03/23 That's the site, but we're up to version 2.0 apparently. Those pages aren't exactly what I'm dealing with, but it's the general idea. I do think it's a glitch. I took your advice and just used US. No error message on THAT. Instead, it claimed I couldn't go forward until I entered my nationality in another box - which, of course I had done. The frustrating part is that if shut down, that page and all the correct info gets erased. Thank goodness the other pages still retain their saved info. I did find an email address and ph number to call if there are questions. I'll try again tomorrow after my computer gets a rest.>
-@Viajanete

What browser are you using?  Some Brazilian government websites work better on Firefox than on Chrome -- I keep a copy of Firefox on my computer for just that reason, although I use Brave (a more secure Chrome clone) 95% of the time.  Sometimes that solves a problem.

Thanks. I was using Chrome, as the site indicated Chrome was preferred. I should háve thought to try another browser.  Anyway, the request is in. Once things "turn out ok" (because I'm assured they will), I'll post a summary of the experience.  It's been "interesting."

03/07/23 Thanks. I was using Chrome, as the site indicated Chrome was preferred. I should háve thought to try another browser. Anyway, the request is in. Once things "turn out ok" (because I'm assured they will), I'll post a summary of the experience. It's been "interesting."
-@Viajanete

Fantastic -- so glad that you could make it work! 

03/13/23 @Viajanete.  Just a funny additional note.  A few weeks ago my bank's site, which had let me connect through Brave (Chrome-based) for years, suddenly wouldn't load its security package on Brave anymore.   No problem with Firefox, though.   Crazy!

Good reminder to just calm down and try another way in instead of blaming the site. (That can come later, if necessary 😄 )  Thanks again.  Please see  PM from me.

@abthree Hi, I have a question, hopefullly you can help. I went to renew my CRNM today and was told I needed "publicação no Diário Oficial da União". I have no idea what that is, they told me I needed to contact people in Brasilia, and I sent an email and waiting a reply. When I first got my CRNM I did it by getting the temporary visa and they gave me some paperwork to show to the PF and all was good. I never dealt with the "publicação no Diário Oficial da União".  Is it possible that the PF was confused and didn't realize that I went through the consulate for the VISA and used that for the CRNM.  I'm thinking that the publicação no Diário Oficial da União is used if you skip the consulate and do everything at the PF, but that is just a guess.  I did check the DOU for the time periods when my original CRNM was approved, and found nothing.  I just figured that was because I used the VISA method. 

@Viajanete If you're asking about the country, USA for the passport, you should be able to page down in the pull down and see Estados Unidos.  Or just hit E over and over until it shows up.  One other tip, for employment or job, if you are retired you need to select:  906 - APOSENTADO, PENSIONISTA, OU ASSEMELHADO

it took me ages to figure that out...

Hi Mike - Thanks for the message. My request was submitted on the 6th, 5 days before deadline (with no less stress than I  remember having when those end-of-semester term papers all came due at the same time). My problem with the site was that some of my answers were not being saved even after my hitting the save button. But it all seems to have gone through. The site shows my request as "pending" as of the 7th.  I have written to MigranteWeb to try to get an idea of the timeframe for the evaluation and decision.  As far as I can tell, it's now just a matter of waiting.

@Viajanete Good, glad it worked out for you.  I'm dealing with my CRNM renew and ran into a roadblock with publicação no Diário Oficial da União".  I have no idea what that is...I had just gotten a visa from the consulate in the US when first applying for my card. 

03/14/23 @abthree Hi, I have a question, hopefullly you can help. I went to renew my CRNM today and was told I needed "publicação no Diário Oficial da União". I have no idea what that is, they told me I needed to contact people in Brasilia, and I sent an email and waiting a reply. When I first got my CRNM I did it by getting the temporary visa and they gave me some paperwork to show to the PF and all was good. I never dealt with the "publicação no Diário Oficial da União". Is it possible that the PF was confused and didn't realize that I went through the consulate for the VISA and used that for the CRNM. I'm thinking that the publicação no Diário Oficial da União is used if you skip the consulate and do everything at the PF, but that is just a guess. I did check the DOU for the time periods when my original CRNM was approved, and found nothing. I just figured that was because I used the VISA method.
-@mikehunter

It sounds like they're looking for a copy of the official publication of your CRNM in the Diário Oficial da União. I have no idea why they'd need that if they already have a copy of your CRNM itself, but it should be easy enough to get at this site:

https://www.in.gov.br/inicio

In the Search ("Pesquisa") box, type in your CRNM number exactly as it appears on your card. In the roll-down "Pequisa avançada" menu to the right of the box, mark "Resultado Exato". Leave all the other options unchanged. Hit the "Pesquisa" button at the bottom. It should bring up the publication of your CRNM, probably in a document with others that were issued the same day. You can save that document as a pdf and/or print it.

It sounds like they're looking for a copy of the official publication of your CRNM in the Diário Oficial da União. I have no idea why they'd need that if they already have a copy of your CRNM itself, but it should be easy enough to get at this site:
https://www.in.gov.br/inicio

In the Search ("Pesquisa") box, type in your CRNM number exactly as it appears on your card. In the roll-down "Pequisa avançada" menu to the right of the box, mark "Resultado Exato". Leave all the other options unchanged. Hit the "Pesquisa" button at the bottom. It should bring up the publication of your CRNM, probably in a document with others that were issued the same day. You can save that document as a pdf and/or print it.
-@abthree

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated. I did the search with the CRNM number, my name, my passport number and found nothing. I did a test with other passport numbers that I had found and they showed up successfully, so it seems that the search function is working.

I'm really just confused about this whole thing. The renewal process seemed straight forward - and when I got the original CRNM using the temporary VISA I was told, just save all the documents, bring in the new application and pay the fee. Nothing was said at all about the DOU. If you have any more information or thoughts about this, I would be grateful to hear them. I'm simply perplexed. The PF in Sao Paulo gave me a piece of paper saying to contact Justice in Brasília so I sent them an email and am waiting for a reply - but tick tock, my CRNM expires in May.... ugh...

Here is the website I used for the application: https://www.gov.br/pt-br/servicos/obter … migratorio

03/15/23 @mikehunter.  If you like, you can send me your CRNM  number and the issue date printed on the card in  direct message, and I'll see whether I can find it.

In your place, I'd take a screen print of the page with the requirement, and go to the PF office with your CRNM to ask the question.

@abthree Thanks, sent you the DM.

I'm wondering if I'm going about this wrong since my original application was using the temporary visa.  I trying to use the CRNM renewal form.  I went back to the original form I used:

https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … arios/capa

for those holding a temporary visa, and one of the questions is do you currently have a RNM, which I do.  I'm wondering if I should be using that same form for renewal.  What do you folks think? 

Wondering about this also.  But my Retirement Visa is good through next May, 2024....

03/15/23 I'm wondering if I'm going about this wrong since my original application was using the temporary visa. I trying to use the CRNM renewal form. I went back to the original form I used:
https://www.gov.br/pf/pt-br/assuntos/im … arios/capa
for those holding a temporary visa, and one of the questions is do you currently have a RNM, which I do. I'm wondering if I should be using that same form for renewal. What do you folks think?
-@mikehunter

Sounds like it's worth a try.

@MA22 Hey, so did you do anything or know anything about the DOU when you went through the process?

@abthree Yeah, the only thing that is concerning me is that the temporary visa has expired - however it's still in my passport and I still have the signed document from the Brasilian Consulate. I've been looking and see nothing about the DOU process, i.e. how to make that happen.  I'm beginning to think that they haven't done many renewals and haven't instructed staff on the proper procedures.

Mike - you say you want to renew your CRNM. Is it perhaps it's your "authorization to stay"?  Are you currently in temporary resident status?  If that's the case (that's what I myself am dealing with), then yes, it's the Ministério de Justiça that you start the process with, through the site MigranteWeb (version 2.0). 

I don't want to add to your confusion. Lord knows, I  got steered down many paths trying to figure out what MY requirements were. So I'm just wondering. My own carteira shows "RNM", not "CRNM", so it might be something totally different in your case.

Back to my personal situation,  I  did get a quick reply from MigranteWeb about how long the process is to get approval to extend my temporary residence.

"We take up to 30 (thirty) days to carry out the analysis, if the order is not properly instructed, a notification is triggered to the email registered in the MigranteWeb system."

Abthree - I might be mistaken.  Just wondering if the acceptance by Justiça triggers an entry into the DOU and THAT is what the PF are/will be looking for along with the other original documents.  Maybe?

03/15/23  Abthree - I might be mistaken. Just wondering if the acceptance by Justiça triggers an entry into the DOU and THAT is what the PF are/will be looking for along with the other original documents. Maybe?
-@Viajanete

That's what I thought, too, but since Mike wasn't able to find notice of his CRNM in the DOU and I wasn't either, it seems that was a wrong guess.  The search comes up "no matches".

@abthree Hello. Do you know if the terms and conditions for renewal of a temporary visa for retirees have been published? And can permanent visa be obtained based on retirement?

03/15/23 @abthree Hello. Do you know if the terms and conditions for renewal of a temporary visa for retirees have been published? And can permanent visa be obtained based on retirement?
-@soliloquy2020

Welcome!  As you can read in this thread, the very first people who received the current Retirement Visa are just beginning to renew their Authorizations for Residency, so they're learning by doing, and we're all learning with them.  I'm not aware of any instructions that have been published:  renewals all seem to be done now through the MigranteWeb system, following the procedure there.

There are no more permanent visas:  they stopped being issued in 2017, when the current Law of Migration went into effect.  All of the visas in the VITEM temporary visa series, except the ViTEM II, are immigrant visas, and most of them are eligible for an Authorization for Residency, evidenced by a CRNM, from the Polícia Federal when the visa holder arrives in Brazil and registers with the PF.  As long as the Authorization for Residency is renewed by the expiration date of the CRNM, it can continue to be renewed, apparently indefinitely, and the person's residency continues to be legal.  It's not necessary for people who renew with the Polícia Federal also to renew their visa at a Consulate:  even though their visas may have expired, they can still re-enter Brazil with their passports and valid CRNMs.

Just a comment on vocabulary that can sometimes lead to confusion:

Technically,  a "visa" is that stamp or page in the passport issued by a consulate outside of Brazil that that gives you permission to enter the country under a certain "status."

Once arrived, you are approved for that status, registered, and given authorization to stay for a certain period of time.

Confusion comes when we talk about obtaining or renewing our visa, versus renewing or extending our current status.

My passport, for example, shows both a valid visa showing permission to enter as a tourist (issued back in the day but still valid), and also an expired visa for temporary residence as a retiree.  However, my RNM (obtained when I reported in with the local PF after my visa let me enter the country) is what confirms I have permission to reside here for two years. 

I used to work with foreign students in the U.S. and the confusion between visa and status was rampant.

Hope that helps.

03/16/23 @Viajanete. Perfectly explained.  Thanks! 👍

Mike - you say you want to renew your CRNM. Is it perhaps it's your "authorization to stay"? Are you currently in temporary resident status? If that's the case (that's what I myself am dealing with), then yes, it's the Ministério de Justiça that you start the process with, through the site MigranteWeb (version 2.0).
I don't want to add to your confusion. Lord knows, I got steered down many paths trying to figure out what MY requirements were. So I'm just wondering. My own carteira shows "RNM", not "CRNM", so it might be something totally different in your case.

Back to my personal situation, I did get a quick reply from MigranteWeb about how long the process is to get approval to extend my temporary residence.

"We take up to 30 (thirty) days to carry out the analysis, if the order is not properly instructed, a notification is triggered to the email registered in the MigranteWeb system."
-@Viajanete

Thanks for the reply.  When you first obtained your CRNM/RNM did you do so under the new law: https://portaldeimigracao.mj.gov.br/ima … %BA_40.pdf

and second, and I think most  important, did you obtain a temporary visa from a consulate/embassy abroad to start the process - or did you apply here in Brasil?