Brits living in Hungary

What Brexit now means. The UK Government has updated its Website  Living in Hungary.

Page summary
Official information for UK nationals moving to or living in Hungary, including guidance on Brexit, residency, healthcare and passports.

Change made
Brexit update: includes further details on passport validity, healthcare rights and State Pension updating if the UK leaves the EU with a deal.

This LINK will take you there.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

It's not very clear on the DLs.  It says on the one hand:

"If you are a resident in Hungary, you must exchange your UK licence for a Hungarian driving licence before the UK leaves the EU. You can still use your Hungarian licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test if you return to live in the UK"

and then a bit further down says:

"Holders of UK driving licences who are resident in Hungary may use their UK licence for a period of one year from the date their residence in Hungary began. After one year, they should exchange their UK licence for a local driving licence. There is no requirement to retake any exams during this process, both for EU and non-EU citizens."

So which is it?!!!

It also isn't really clear you'd get your DL entitlements back or continue to get them on a straight swap basis in either direction.

BTW, this is a similar thread to the other one about Brexit implications.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Thank you. Its been posted on pretty much all EU countries. Not just Hungary.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Thank you. Its been posted on pretty much all EU countries. Not just Hungary.

I meant the thread here in these here forums.

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's not very clear on the DLs.  It says on the one hand:

"If you are a resident in Hungary, you must exchange your UK licence for a Hungarian driving licence before the UK leaves the EU. You can still use your Hungarian licence in the UK for short visits or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test if you return to live in the UK"

and then a bit further down says:

"Holders of UK driving licences who are resident in Hungary may use their UK licence for a period of one year from the date their residence in Hungary began. After one year, they should exchange their UK licence for a local driving licence. There is no requirement to retake any exams during this process, both for EU and non-EU citizens."

So which is it?!!!

It also isn't really clear you'd get your DL entitlements back or continue to get them on a straight swap basis in either direction.

As usual, official messages are not easy to understand.
With US residents which are non EU, we have one year to exchange our US driving papers but it seems you must take a driving exam in Hungary as well.
My husband took a professional driving course in 1968 in Hungary.
When we moved here his driving papers were still valid in Hungary but he had to turn in his US driving license.
He had to take a medical and eye exam every 2 years here because he carried a professional license.
This last time he just went with your normal everyday driving papers for HU.
He has no plans on driving a semi-truck or bus here in Hungary or a taxi or 9 passenger van or mini-bus for hire.
I think getting your HU driving papers can cost a bit with going to school and getting their English language books.No impossible though.More money to spend here that's all.
My guess would be if anyone wished to keep their UK driving papers valid then to drive in Hungary after one year from being a resident then they woud have to start a driving course in HU. If they wanted to turn in their UK papers then they may be able to exchange for a HU one but my guess is they would probably also need to pass an exam maybe just the written section but not sure.
When my husband got his HU pro papers it took several days of practical driving with his instructor and being graded on each vehicle in turn. Also there was no written test, just a long verbal one in front of a board of several men firing fast questions at him.Think it is easier these days to pass judging by the drivers here!