Asking a girl out in Hungarian

Sziasztok! I would like to ask a quick question about the grammatically correct way to ask a Hungarian girl in my University to go out somewhere.

What I basically want to say is "Would you like to go out with me this weekend?"
What I found on the internet was: "Szeretnél randizni velem ezen a hétvégén?" - Is this a correct way to say it?

If it is possible I would also like to say something like "I would like to get to know you better" - if possible in a BIT of a flirty way. :) And maybe something that HINTS that I like her.

Köszönöm!

Zeppelin_Beatles wrote:

Sziasztok! I would like to ask a quick question about the grammatically correct way to ask a Hungarian girl in my University to go out somewhere.

What I basically want to say is "Would you like to go out with me this weekend?"
What I found on the internet was: "Szeretnél randizni velem ezen a hétvégén?" - Is this a correct way to say it?

If it is possible I would also like to say something like "I would like to get to know you better" - if possible in a BIT of a flirty way. :) And maybe something that HINTS that I like her.

Köszönöm!

If she speaks English, then just ask her if she wants to have coffee. You can say that you are interested in life in Hungary, Europe and so on.  Then just see where it goes from there.  But do some reading on Hungary so you can ask interesting questions and give her an opportunity to talk. 

Interestingly, Mrs Fluffy didn't speak much English when I met her but she was nice and we had interesting chats using a dictionary.  Two kids and 20 years later she's absolutely fluent.  I'm not of course.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Interestingly, Mrs Fluffy didn't speak much English when I met her but she was nice and we had interesting chats using a dictionary.

That is kind of sweet. Like Jamie and Aurélia in Love Actually

Try this:

Go to the girl you like, tell her there is a girl you like and and ask her how to say it. That way you will get the correct pronunciation as well. Then when you got it all correct and properly pronounced repeat it to her, and say she is the girl you like.

She will either then totally melt that she was able to help you with such an intimate issue, or she will think you are the biggest dork on the plant.

If the first, you win. Enjoy your date together.

If the second.... well, at least you know how to say it to the next Hungarian girl you meet and like.  :D

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Interestingly, Mrs Fluffy didn't speak much English when I met her but she was nice and we had interesting chats using a dictionary.

That is kind of sweet. Like Jamie and Aurélia in Love Actually

I suppose it is kind of sweet.  We just muddled through and as we were both interested, and we'd both been married before, we put a lot of effort and determination into really making it work. 

She's always thanked me for expanding her horizons and I of course, thank her for putting up with me and my odd foreign ways! 

We're not the same but we're complimentary, like salt and pepper, cheese and onion, errr....fish and chips....ok, I'll stop there before the hole gets any deeper....

Be careful who you ask for a translation and declaration of love.
I had 2 HU girlfriends in Calif who "helped" me translate something from English to Hungarian for my husband, then just my new BF.
I was 19 and trusting.
They told me a phrase to say next time I saw him.
They were giggling while teaching me so I should of had a clue it was not going to be anything nice.
I went up to my husband and proudly told him this cute little phrase in Hungarian.
He faced just dropped on the spot!
He asked who taught me such a dirty thing.
I told him and he just said they were crazy girls having a laugh at my expense.
I will not translate or say what it was but just thinking about it makes me blush.

Yes you have to be careful!

My father phoned a woman about a flat to rent in Hungary. She said she did not speak good English. Ok so she sends an email. The email had some odd words in it. So we used google and a dictionary hmm no we must be getting this wrong? Something about black men no she does not seem racist.

Ok so we went to this Hungarian and Polish market that is here where the people are natives. The guy laughs. We ask ok what is this, he says she wants to rent to you so she can see a black mans member and that she has never seen one. so please tell me when your daughter is not home so i can see it. He called her back and she  was like yes yes that is correct, he could not believe it! He nicely said sorry not interested! She thought that was normal cause she watches a lot of movies with black Americans!

it was so funny

OMG Felica, so insane, sorry this women had to be off her rocker!!
So stupid and rude of her, even I am ashamed for her.
Your poor dad!!
We have a real "dumb a** of a neighbor living on one side of us in HU.
His lovely old aunt died and left him her flat,poor us.
He speaks English well enough but not interesting enough to actually talk with.
He found out when he first moved in that we were from the US.
Guess what dumb a** thing he said to me/ He said oh in American the black man is King.
Too many movies under his belt for sure, what a dip S*** thing to say!
I don't know many stupid people, stay to ourselves allot but I really hope this is not a "normal" reaction in Hungary to people of color.
I do know several years ago a lady from my gym in Budapest asked my background, I told her all my heritage and mentioned I was part Mohawk, her eyebrows raised so high I thought she had surgery!
Stupid people can be anywhere at anytime. In Europe in general I do not think they actually get it about the melting pot from the US.
I hope you do not experience any more idiots while in Hungary.
You may wish to contact a legit rental agent in HU, even if they cost a bit more, at least they will be more professional.

That is cute about you and your Hungarian wife, sounds allot like me and MY Laszlo.
He is solid and true and I am the space case Cal. gal.
In many ways he selfishly enjoys that I do not speak Hungarian, he says he always has a piece of the US with him when I am nearby.
I am sugar and he is vinegar!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Stupid people can be anywhere at anytime. In Europe in general I do not think they actually get it about the melting pot from the US.

No, many people do not get that at all here particularly in Hungary. Insulated by language and bombarded by state owned propaganda does not help one bit.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I hope you do not experience any more idiots while in Hungary.

Pretty much impossible. Idiots are everywhere......  :(

I really do wonder at times why so many Hungarians in my experience can not understand people who have parents and family that are a "mixed" background.
Suppose all those years of living in a vacuum does not help.
I read old letters that were translated into English by my cousin.
They were communication from my Rusin ( eastern Slav from SE Poland) grandfather to his aunt.
He was looking for a new wife after my granny died, told his aunt to ask around for him, he said he was only interested in meeting another Rusin women but in a pinch, a Pole or Russian would due!
What an ego!! Only want their own culture. In his many letters he expressed his disappointment with his 9 children for marrying outside the Rusin culture, 7 of them were born in the US, what did he expect wold happen?
I know he referred to my mother only as the "German"! Made me laugh reading that bit!
Even my own MIL asked my husband right in front of me why he had not married a Hungarian women!!
Boy, I sure loved that women...
Totally crazy idea considering he was a immigrant to the USA! Like HU women were just lined up waiting for him over there!!
What can I say, been together for 41 years, I had the last laugh!!
In the end my grandfather married my grandmothers first cousin, a widow! All in the family, so red neck!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Even my own MIL asked my husband right in front of me why he had not married a Hungarian women!!

Tell me about it. 

The passport guy at Budapest airport once said to Mrs Fluffy, "Why marry a British person, not enough good Hungarians?".

Who is a Hungarian anyway? 

Mrs Fluffy has a Slavic name, German grandparents and so on.

I have German ancestors, Australian siblings and Kiwi nephews and nieces.   

We're all mongrels.

Like we say in the good ol' USA, we are all Heniz 57!!
Just like the magic mix that makes catsup!
I doubt anyone on earth is pure anything these days unless they have been on an Island for the past 500 years.
My father was born in 1921 in a tiny and I mean tiny village in SE Poland where most everyone was related by at least being a second or possibly a third cousin, made for some super emotional people that had short fuses.
Intermixing of families, real "hillbilly" stuff!
My mom is half German with a equal amount of English and Mohawk, a strange mix but makes for one tough person.
You should of punched the passport dude in the face!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....You should of punched the passport dude in the face!

We've actually heard that statement in various forms from several people in Hungary.   In my area - even my street - there are quite a few mixed nationality couples.  I expect the passport guy had lived a sheltered life and didn't get out much.  In any case, it was none of his business!  Who asked him anyway?!!

fluffy2560 wrote:

In any case, it was none of his business!  Who asked him anyway?!!

Hungary: where even with just two people in a room there will be three opinions. And they both have to openly express all three opinions, even if just to the walls.

In our building, I think I may be the only "foreigner" certainly the only American.
No worries, if you punched the guy they would probably take his side because he was an employee of the airport.
My German grandparents refused to ever met or have any contact at all with my mother and aunt even as children. They did not approve of him marrying a half native American women, is that insane or what?! Sort of was hard on them as they were very wealthy in the US, owned a textile factory in the 1900's and my mom was born into poverty and grew up during the depression years.
Grandfather was out of the family for the rest of his life, he lived until age 94 too.
He mother died when she was a small kid and they still would not reach out to help them. Their loss I say.

First, I hope you have taken the plunge and asked your interest out in English. Makes no sense to go on a date if you can only say one sentence!  But hey, as some of the others have noted, maybe that makes it cuter.

As for the phrases you used, randizni, can be meant to hook up sexually and could easily be taken poorly.  There are many ways to flirt in Hungarian, and many ways to insult someone. Start with English and see where it leads.
:-)

Good advice, speak in a language you are comfortable with.
My husband's English was really poor when we met. Made for some strange situations, neither exactly knew all the time what the other was talking about.
Case in point, I was 19, he 26 when we met.
I was a busy young lady living with my older sister in Hollywood, Cal. worked full time and only had gone out a few times with my husband when he asked me to a huge concert.
My sister was going with her HU boyfriend and a huge group of other Hungarians to the Calif. Jam concert back I believe it was in 1975.
My husband didn't know how to ask me to go with him so he put it this way," Are you going to the Calif Jam concert"?
He should of said ,"do you want to go with me "not make it seem like he wasn't really interested in taking me.
I told him, no I was working because I couldn't be sure if he wanted me to go or not and I didn't want to be pushy with him.
I missed out on a great time because of his language skills. He even had a ticket for me to go with.
Believe me make things as clear as you can after 41 years together sometimes he still gets it wrong.

Genius 😊