Looking for India equivalent salary in Euros

I am getting an offer from a Berlin based company. They are offering me a salary which would amount to 3000 euros per month (after tax). I currently earn around INR 185,000 per month (after tax). I wanted to know whether these two salaries are comparable to each other.

€3000 is more than INR360k according to www.xe.com.
It is a good salary for fresh graduates in a technical field - you normnally need a few years working experience to achieve this. For comparison: The German average household income is around €2500/month.
According to numbeo.com, however, the cost of living in India is 63% lower than Germany (and the average income only INR31k/month). Thus you cannot expect to afford a similar lifestyle here.

Hey, thanks for your response. So basically if I am earning around 1.85lakhs per month in India, I cannot have a same lifestyle with €3000 per month in Berlin. Correct?

Since all countries differ from each other, you can never have the same lifestyle after an international move. There will be positive and negative changes and it's up to you to decide what you want and need. Germany ranks far higher than India on quality of life indices, see https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/ … ountry.jsp

Some examples of positive aspects Germany that no money can buy you elsewhere:
- Germany has no dangerous or no-go areas, so your kids will be able to play outside and go to school alone without worries.
- You are never far from greenery and nature, wherever you may live. And the environment is clean.
- Public transport in the cities is very efficient, so you don't need to waste time in traffic jams. (In fact, you don't need a car at all - car sharing schemes are available everywhere.)
- Very good schools and universities are available free of charge.
- A wide range of cultural events are available (and affordable due to public subsidies), from open-air rock concerts to opera houses, theatres and excellent museums.

On the other hand you will not have a household helper, driver or in fact any private employee. Nobody has them here!

Yes I agree. But one of the major reasons I want to move out of India is to earn more. Now if with this salary I am not able to save in Germany what I am able to in India, then this would turn out to be a major setback for me financially.

If, for you, money is more important than anything else (incl. learning and growing from all the new experiences while living abroad), then Germany is not the right place for you anyway - we are not that materialistic here!

Well money isn't the only important thing to me. Learning and experience are equally important which is the reason I am choosing to leave my home country and go elsewhere. However, if my life priorities lead to sub standard lifestyle for my family, then I am going to think twice obviously. I have 10 years of experience and the salary I am being offered is for a 2-3 years experience individual (as you said in your first response).

Hello,

You know, there's a saying that says you're not buying a cat in a bag.

In Europe, unlike India or the English-speaking countries, we do not look at the amount of diplomas a person has. But to his skills.

So prove to the employer that he was right to give you a chance and after a while you will be able to ask for a salary renegotiation. But if you hope that a European employer will roll out the red carpet ...

Everyone wants a better life for their family. But you have to see in the long run

And do not forget that there are many potential candidates in India.

So you claim that, for the sake of your family (and not just money), you forgo an above average salary in a highly developed country with top quality of life, and rather live in a third world place with known problems?
I question the wisdom of this!
But you make your own life decisions.

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your response. I completely agree with you and I wasn't even expecting a red carpet response from a European employer. The only reason I am apprehensive is because of the family. I already left a comfortable job in the US because of family and my own professional aspirations. Came back to India and started from scratch. I am in a much better position now, even better than what I would have been in the US. So the skillset is there, what is lacking is opportunity. But yes, as you rightly mentioned, I can always show my worth to the potential employer and then do a salary renegotiation. Thanks for your inputs both of you. It clears my mind somewhat. :)

OMG man, you are so much full of yourself !!! I am so thankful that I came on this forum to have come across people like you. I agree that Germany is a developed country but I think you are underestimating India a bit too much. You think I am planning to come to Germany for the quality of life it has to offer me?? let me tell a NO outrightly. I am well settled here and leading quite an amazing life here. And whatever Germany is offering for free, Yes I have to pay for it here but it's available. And you know what, I can afford it. I just want to have an experience of working in a European country, that's it....
Certainly you are proud of your country but I am equally proud of my motherland and I can't let an outsider talk rubbish about her. We have got everything your country offers and not everyone who wants to come to your country from India are looking for a better lifestyle. Some are in search of only experience. I would better stay in a third world country as a top grade citizen rather than staying in a topmost country as an above average citizen.
Hope this clarifies !!!
Thanks for your responses though. It is helping me decide.

Sorry to see things escalated here on this thread. I think the idea of saving money in a country is legitimate and not the only factor the OP is concerned with. I'm not expert in this field but have heard that in the US or some other counties the salaries for such jobs might be higher. Thus Germany might not be one's first choice to save money.

The pay is more than average but it is hard to predict one's real expenses will be. The most important factor will be accommodation. The housing market is very tight in most cities and even more difficult for foreigners. Companies bringing in foreigners are well advised to provide a professional to help one find a long term place to live – and to line up something for the beginning. The employee should definitely ask about this when negotiating salary and benefits. Although it is an extra cost, it is likely to be seen as cost-effective that employees are not unhappy and distracted from work because they have an inadequate housing situation or are endlessly looking. 

A plus point for the OP is that the child is not old enough to have to go to school yet, which in such cases presents the question of if they go to public school for free or a private one where English is spoken but the costs are 10 to 15 thousand euros a year. But with a child so young, it will undoubtedly be speaking fluent German by the time it is old enough for school if the parents end up staying that long.

But one should not argue about or sling insults about cultures – and I don't think this was Beppi's intention. One just needs to be aware that there are many differences that one should be aware of. But as the OP has lived in the US, the level of cultural difference is not greater. But one should also know that cultural differences between the US and any European country also exist.

Apologies for the outburst. I'm sure that response wasn't to insult anyone's culture or country. But the way it was written portrayed so. I hope that I am able to get through the other rounds of interviews and land in Germany so that I can experience the culture of another developed country of another continent. I've traveled Europe a lot, almost 9-10 countries now and loved each one of them. This was the major trigger to look for a professional opportunity in Europe. I know European's respect other cultures to a great extent and I and my family will learn a lot of good cultural values when we end up staying there.

Thanks for clearing the air.

@Malay2503- saying that your family would potentially live a sub standard life should you wish to come to Germany is a bit of a stretch. If you want to save a little more, then maybe your wife can work from home as well to add extra to the fold. There are pros and cons everywhere, but an international experience is worth it, if you are financially savvy. If you want to increase your income, whether in India or Germany, investing might be a better route than just saving. Germany has a lot more to offer if you are willing to meet him fully. But! learn German :-)

All in all, being a global citizen is more fun that being in one country alone.

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Doesn't contribute positively to the thread
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I am getting 16 LPA per annum in India. If I want to move to Germany then what should be my equivalent salary expectation.?

@Liya Jose The answer to your question is "As much as you can get!"

What do you expect?

I am getting 16 LPA per annum in India. If I want to move to Germany then what should be my equivalent salary expectation.?
-@Liya Jose

1 euro = 89.6 Indian rupees (INR). A Lakh is a measurement only used on the Indian subcontinent and equals 100,000. So 16 Lakh = 1,600.000 INR or 17,867 euros. This would be a very low annual income in Germany, so most professional jobs should way considerably more.

But income is only relevant in context of cost of living. And this varies not just from country to country but place to place. I imagine that such an income might provide a decent standard of living in India that would cost much more in Germany. Then one has to look at factors like schooling. Sounds like a good education is only found through private schools in India. In Germany, one can usually have an excellent one for free in public schools. But if one wants a school that instructs primarily in English then a private international school will usually run 12 to 15 thousand euros/year per kid. Thus having a handful of kids will mean either saving or increasing cost depending on which school is chosen.