Questions about bakery work in Berlin (moving from UK)

I'm considering a move to Berlin and have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me to answer.

I currently work as a baker in the UK. I have no formal training as I am self-taught but I have set up and profitably run two wholesale bakeries, the latter being the place I currently work at. I'm looking to leave this place to gain more experience and skills by working with people who are better at baking than I am. I am thinking of Berlin because I want to live somewhere cosmopolitan, multicultural and European (as my country is likely to cease being European soon), but moreover because German bread culture is excellent, I admire it and I feel that I could learn a lot from it. The final reason I am thinking of Berlin is that I do not speak German and although I'm prepared to learn, I'm aware that my German is likely to be extremely basic before I arrive and I have been led to believe that enough people speak English in Berlin that there wil be some leeway at first while my German language skills improve.

My idea is to research this plan more by speaking to people who already live and work in Berlin. If it seems plausible to move there then I'll try to arrange spome trial shifts at bakeries and spend a weekend or so there doing the trials and getting a feel for the city. If that goes well then I'll move there.

My questions are

Do I stand a chance of being taken seriously by high qulity bakeries without academic/formal baking training? I am confident in my skills and knowledge, I just don't have any certificates.

What is the best way to approach bakeries to ask them if they would consider employing me?

Am I right in thinking that I can get by with rudimentary classroom German and English at first? I don't want to piss anyone of by assuming that I can just speak English all the time so would be very keen to learn the language asap.

Any extra advice, pointers, websites to check out etc is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Germany's skilled crafts and trades have the world-famous apprenticeship ("Ausbildung") system for training new entrants. You need to have completed  an Ausbildung (or equivalent foreign certification) to be allowed to work in certain professions, including baking (as far as I know - but please confirm this with the relevant trade association or "Innung").
Since you have no formal training, you will probably have to attend the three-year bakery Ausbildung. This is (mostly) practical training on the job, with theoretical lessons in a vocational school typically one day per week. The pay is fixed by regulations and low: First year 470 EUR/month, second year 600 EUR/month and third year 730 EUR/year (You cannot survive on this, so bring enough savings!).
To find an apprenticeship, apply at baking companies that appeal to you. I believe with your background, you stand out from the typical fresh-out-of-school applicant and should have no problem being accepted.
In addition, craftsmen are often not the most educated or cosmopolitan. They won't be able to converse in English, so you certainly need to learn German!

(Remark: Before starting your own bakery business after the Ausbildung, you need to attend another 6 months schooling and pass the test to gain the "Meister" title.)

@pearlyroy Hey, I know this is a long shot to ask, since this post was made 6 years ago, but are you still working in a bakery in Berlin? My partner wants to move to Berlin and become a baker, but doesn't have any formal education. He also doesn't speak German yet. Is there any chance that you would have an open position for a beginner baker? Or any information at all that could be helpful? I would appreciate anything.

I hope all is well for you! Thank you. Have a wonderful day

@jamesmcfarm The user you are referring to, perlyroy, stopped frequenting the forum five years ago. So I doubt that you will receive a reply.

It is of course possible to start a bakery apprenticeship. The industry has a lack of new entrands, so it should not be too difficult to find a training employer. Check ausbildung.de.

However, apprentices are not paid well - do not expect to earn enough to survive! In addition, part of the training are classes at a vocational school, which usually requires a C1 level of German - in special cases B2 might be accepted for entry, but then following classes and passing exams will be a challenge.