Can foreigners pass the Malaysian driving licence?

Hello Guys!
I will be moving to Malaysia during the summer - my contact for the working visa told me that as a foreigner I could not pass the driving licence locally and that I would need to convert my local one to international.
The problem is ... I currently do not own a driving licence (have moved a lot & DL is very inconvienent to pass in FR).
Could you please confirm?
Thks for your help!

The problem is just the opposite. Foreign drivers are now prevented from exchanging their home country DL for a Malaysian one; the only way is to take the local driving test, even if you have been driving for 30 years! Ludicrous, not to mention expensive.

You can drive in Malaysia on a foreign licence (check whether you need an International Driving Permit in addition - depends on your home country), but most countries require one to be resident to hold onto their licence.

As you don't have a DL of any type yet, your only option will be to enrol with a driving school and take the Malaysian Driving Licence test.

The Theory test is available in English in the KL area.

https://www.jpjlink.com/home/2016/06/ca … edure-dda/

This explains the procedure.

There are some Apps these days  - KPP Test - English

Many thanks Cobolin!

& Many thanks Gravitas! Im relieved to know Ill be able to pass the local one :) and drive in MY!

Hi Cihnon,
I am an expat from India and in the process of getting my driving licence for both car and motor cycle. Just like you My country's DL is not valid here so I have to actually apply for a new Malaysian Driving Licence. You can visit the directories to find a school ( Try to find some school near your house or some one who can speak English).
This is my experience so far.
1. It took me SIX months to finish the motorcycle tests completely.
2. I did not fail anything so far , but I only visited in the week ends and I work in the week days. If you can come on weekdays as well you can finish sooner.
3. For car I still have 13 hours left
4. One thing Which I felt , I need to share is try to find out the rules and regulations of the driving test from a friend or your next candidate. Because the instructor "WILL" explain every thing in Malay . This is not your agent who is language friendly. This is the official JPJ staff. I tried asking him to repeat in English twice , and usually ended up in him making a fun about how he can speak Malay and we don't. Just ignore those comments and focus on the task.

All the best.

Update : 24/09/2019
This just happened today a few hours after Typed the above comment.
My bike got dry with out petrol in the middle of a bridge. A passing motorist stopped and pushed my bike with his leg from his bike for 1 whole kilometer until i reached the petrol station. He was a total stranger to me and yet he stopped by to help me. Truly Malaysians are helpful. Even though some of the high officials like the LHDN , and JPJ are not much helpful in terms of language ( I had a tough experience before ) but the local average people are your everyday friendly people. God Bless Malaysia.