Apply for driving license in malaysia by foreigner

Dear to all of you,

I would like to apply for driving license in Malaysia but doesn't work. Can any 1 here help me?

Actually i have asked for the driving academy, everything i can provide (Time, fees, exam.....) except for "VISA" at least 6 months in Malaysia. The reason why is because i dont have permit or visa in malaysia and then accordingly to JPJ, they wont accept only passport. Is that any other way I can get the malaysia license?

Thanks in advise.

XiaoYu

The long term visa is the requirement for applying Malaysia's driving license.
Others are not problem.

No you can't get a driving licence without a reason i.e. an immigration status here. You can use an international driving licence in Malaysia so get one from your home country.

Actually I have Korean license but due to accident with alcohol, my licence has been suspended for 2 years, i only stay in Malaysia 2 months but i found this is so inconvenience if without a transport in Malaysia. I dont have to Visa or Permit right now, is that any way can help me?

Then just use grab car or uber. 😅

Sorry - I really have to laugh at this question.... Let's break it down simply:

1. You do not have a valid driving licence because you broke the law in your home country
2. You think that Malaysia should overlook this and give you a driving licence
3. Your convenience is the only issue at stake
4. The safety of EVERY other driver in Malaysia is totally irrelevant.

WELL I NEVER........

Gravitas

U mind to think this is funny, seriously i am a driver with extra care on the road, that was an accident which other ppl fault in my country but i am the 1 unfortunately. i am seeking for help.

Besides, grab and uber is not so comfortable to me especially some malaya driver. Some of them is totally rude and irreverence.

thanks anyway.

You may be seeking "help" but the law is the law.

You cannot get a license in your situation and if you don't like Uber or Grab, or a taxi, there is always walking.

XiaoYu123456 wrote:

Actually I have Korean license but due to accident with alcohol, my licence has been suspended for 2 years, i only stay in Malaysia 2 months but i found this is so inconvenience if without a transport in Malaysia. I dont have to Visa or Permit right now, is that any way can help me?

Lots of people have accidents with alcohol. Did you try to explain to the Korean authorities that it was an accident?

@Garvitas
I can use International driving license ?
How's the process to buy and change ownership of a vehicle with International driving license ?

Hi
I am sri lankan and i have sri lanka driving license.
Am i allowed to drive in malaysia
I didn't convert my driving licese to IDL so how ?
And i am student at malaysia

Help me

Check the JPJ website for latest rules. A translation if the license is not in English or Malay plus authentication by the home country Licence Authority is usually required. Your embassy will be able to help you.

thanks @gravitas for your information,

and my driving licence is in English language and i found this in JPJ official website

"Section 28 of the Road Transport Act 1987 explains that “a driving licence issued under the corresponding provisions of any law in force in any country which is a party to a treaty to which Malaysia is also a party and which purports to recognize domestic driving licences issued by the contracting countries shall, so long as such licence remains in force in that country, be deemed to be a driving licence granted under this Part."

Pursuant to Section 28 of the APJ 1987 mentioned above, holders of foreign driving license can drive in this country as long as domestic foreign driving license is still valid. In this respect, foreign nationals are not required to hold a Malaysian driving license to drive in Malaysia . However, this section only subject to the countries which are parties under "United Nation Conference on Road and Motor Transport, Geneva, 1949 & 1968". Types of vehicles subject to license owned and only limited to private vehicles only. License owners are advised to bring along a copy of Driving License Confirmation letter from Embassy of the country of origin or translation letter from the Embassy (if the relevant driving license uses language other than English) while driving in Malaysia.

In addition, International driving license (International Driving Permit) holders can also use the license to drive in this country provided the form of driving license (IDPS) follows the specifications set under the “United Nation Conference on Road and Motor Transport, Geneva, 1949 & 1968". International Driving License (IDPS) can be applied according to the country where the original driving license was issued."

can you explain this to me?, and do i need any additional documents?

and my country involved in this  agreement "United Nation Conference on Road and Motor Transport, Geneva, 1949 & 1968".

On 24th September it was announced that there were no longer any conversion to a Malay licence and you can use a valid national licence with an IDL from your country. An IDL is issued for overseas driving and thereby confirms you hold a valid license. Until further notice these are the arrangements with future announcement of changes.

did you mean without IDL im not allowed to drive in malaysia?

a) You can drive with an IDL plus valid foreign licence.
or
b) your national license needs to be authenticated (as per the extract you quoted)

thanks gravitas

@Gravitas ,

Hello, My name is Sri Ram. I'm from India. I have been residing in KL since this August 2018 with a valid E.P (I.T/Software-- Expat).  I request you to please provide me with the below -
1) My employer is Torturing me to pay Taxes every month ( Around 1700 RM) untill this December 2018. So do I need to pay the taxes compulsorily ? Coz i think 1700 RM is very huge amount. As i am searching for job here. Is there any possibility/option to pat yaxes while in the year end? Or any other option to minimize the tax amount ?
2) If i am not paying the taxes which my employer asked me to pay, he is saying that he will be CANCELLING my visa . So how can i know if he cancelled my visa ? Or Can i work until my Visa expires ?
3) I dont know how he cancels the VISA, so as we are not aware whether the VISA is CANCELLED or still VALID, So can we search for work till the last date of my stamping ?

Please do provide me with all you can.

Awaiting for your response.

Thanks bro.

It's the government that requires you to pay 28%. Its because you have to be in Malaysia for 182 days in a tax year which is January to December before you qualify as being tax resident. After that tax rates are much lower.

The bad news is you will continue to pay 28% until July 2019.

But you can eventually get a refund of the difference between resident and non resident rates.

So changing job won't make any difference.

Just be patient and make sure you don't leave the country in 2019 for more than 14 days while you are counting your days to reach 182 of being in Malaysia and thereby qualifying to become tax resident

Thanks for your prompt response.

I agree with your point, But here in my case - Is there any way to pay the taxes once i get a job ?
Because every month i cant pay 1700 RM taxes and my visa is valid till August 2020.

So can i do like this  --  I will pay all my taxes once i get a job. So that i can afford at that point of time as i will be paid.

The employer by law has to deduct the monthly tax that is due.

What you don't actually know is whether the employer is paying what he deducts to the Tax Office?  Hopefully he is honest in this area as he is certainly not in providing you with an EP without any job.

You are involved in a type of job scam.

If the "employer" is not paying the tax to LHDN, then big problems because you will have to pay it all over again if and when you find a "real job".

**I would get your tax number and go to the Tax Office to check the deductions made monthly are actually being submitted. If they are not, then the best you can do is get your EP cancelled and leave the country and apply for jobs again from India.

You don't say what exactly the type of IT "job" is you have, but to be honest, there are only software engineer positions available in Malaysia to foreigners. Malaysians take the jobs for hardware and network engineers.

@ Gravitas,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I feel the same. I paid my self for the VISA (EP) . Employer didn't paid even a single penny from his pocket. He just offered me a VISA from his company.

As he is torturing me to pay taxes, If there will be any problem if i don't respond to his calls/emails ?
Would there be any loss for me, like Visa cancellation, Illegal Stay in country etc ?

The issue is he can report you to immigration as having left your job  so he gets out of the firing line for not deducting income tax. By doing that you would  be blacklisted and he can also cancel your EP in the database. If you try to leave the country you would be deported and banned for 5 years to return to Malaysia. Likewise you would not get another EP with a new employer. However your salary should be being paid into a bank account as to get a new job you have to show your bank statement plus income tax payments.

oh okay.
So in such situation, i request you to provide me with your best suggestion.

Did you see I updated the comment above with info about bank account etc.

Your situation is not good as you have no control. Its messy because even if you decide to 'resign' you need the employer to shorten your EP. In fact they would need to do that even if you found a job plus they would need to give you a release letter.

You know the people you got involved with and how much you can trust them not to completely block a career in Malaysia

Yes, I agree that.
But here in my case, it's entirely different right . He never paid me salary. He took taxes amount from me 1700*2 ( for 2 months), But never provided with the taxes account number and Tax acknowledge .
To hit the point straight - If he do something wrong to me like cancellation of visa or what ever the thing, can i directly walk-in to Immigration and file a complaint against him with all the proofs ?

Can you please elaborate further on this ?

1. I have a valid India license in English.
2. Currently I don't have a international driving   L or permit.
3. I will be in India next month,  and can get this done during my trip.
4. Once I have the IDL  and my driver license am I legal to drive ?
5. Is there any process that I need to follow in Malaysia.
6. I  have explored to sign up for a  Local driving license course but the process is long and takes time.
7.  It's also expensive around RM 2500  from start to finish.

Your feedback will be helpful to plan the best possible way out of this fresh announcement on 24th Sept.

Regards

Malaysia government just frozen foreigner to convert Malaysia driving license even you have a long term visa in Malaysia. For current situation, foreigner who stay in Malaysia would like to drive in Malaysia you can: 1. Get international driving license from your home country. 2. Take the driving course from 0 in Malaysia.

can anyone recommend any driving school in KL.

how long term? more than a year ?

Better visit  JPJ website and clear your queries, or try to get some agent to get your work done.

Also there is ride hailing app it's safe as you mentioned some driver are rude it depends. After Uber now there is Mycar new ride hailing app it's good.

@Rizmanj11

I couldn't find this link in JPJ website. Can you share the official link?

patrick137 wrote:

Malaysia government just frozen foreigner to convert Malaysia driving license even you have a long term visa in Malaysia. For current situation, foreigner who stay in Malaysia would like to drive in Malaysia you can: 1. Get international driving license from your home country. 2. Take the driving course from 0 in Malaysia.

@Gravitas
What as quoted by Patrick137, this is also what I gathered from JPJ official website and a phone call to the hotline. My husband's Italian driving licence has been authenticated by Embassy of Italian in Malaysia recently. Does he still need to have IDP in order to drive in Malaysia legally? He holds one year LTSVP.

Hi , I'm Vinay from India

I hold Indian Driving license in engish

Do I need to have Malaysian driving license to drive in Malaysia

Please advise

Vinay - check at https://www.blsindia-malaysia.com/dl_attest.php for authentication process and international driving permit

VinayWagh wrote:

Hi , I'm Vinay from India

I hold Indian Driving license in engish

Do I need to have Malaysian driving license to drive in Malaysia

Please advise

At the moment foreigners who hold long term visa like to drive a car in Malaysia has to go through the driving course from 0.

Which is goddamn annoying,  timewasting and a lengthy process,  u better off getting an international driver license from your country.

No such thing. The only valid international way is a valid home licence plus an IDP. Some countries I know issue these worthless licences. They are not in the Hague agreements.

An IDP is only valid (usually) for a year and after that you need a Malaysian DL.

Hi my name sunny from India I'm planning to move Malaysia so as I'm job seeker there is any possibility that I can drive for uber on my working visa?i can get Malaysia licenses but I'm not sure for that I can drive uber or not please if anyone knows just help me out of this thank you

No no no!