I am Thai, Can I bring my car to use in Malaysia

I have transfered work place to Malaysia. Does any one know can I bring my car to use in Malaysia.

Hi tongpool!

You have been transfered from where?

I think that if you give this info, other members will be able to help you soon.

Harmonie!:)

Not recommended
The import duty and process is prohibitive in Msia.

harmonie wrote:

Hi tongpool!

You have been transfered from where?

I think that if you give this info, other members will be able to help you soon.

Harmonie!:)

Hi Harmonie, I have transfered to work in KL actually I am now in Netherlands. But I have my car in my hometown in Thailand.

Expatypus wrote:

Not recommended
The import duty and process is prohibitive in Msia
expatypus.com/car-import-malaysia

Is it posible to drive in as a temporary 2-3 months and drive out from the country to Thailand boarder and drive in again ha ha ha..

Just an I dea if it is complicated I will not do that.

Technically you can. The procedure should be close to this this

- Buy insurance & road tax at the Thai border..
- Car Sticker (Number Plate translation)
- You need to decide whether ONE, THREE or SIX month's entry. 6 months are a bit tough to get, as you will be questioned. A foreign car can not stay in Msia more than 6 months in a year
- Once you have all the required documents, cross over the bridge into Malaysia.
- You can not buy RON95 within 50km of a border in Msia and will have to purchase RON97 which is the expensive one.

FYI, your thai insurer will not cover you once you cross the border. Only 3rd party insurance is available for Thai registred cars in Malaysia. So if your car is stolen for example, you won't get a cent.

Welcome to KL. You can find more information regarding that perhaps from the Malaysian Embassy in your country

1. call around- a few International Insurance covers comprehensive for multi-countries.

Expatypus wrote:

- Once you have all the required documents, cross over the bridge into Malaysia.

Bridge?  What bridge?

All the border crossings are land-based.

Expatypus wrote:

Not recommended
The import duty and process is prohibitive in Msia.
For more info: How to import a car in Malaysia

That's true if you want to register it, but if you keep the Thai registration then the process you describe for getting insurance is good enough.

Except for that bridge thing...

And remember this...it's a long haul from KL up to one of the border crossings...6-8 hours to Bukit Kayu Hitam/Danok or 5-6 hours to Pengkalan Hulu/Betong.