Importing a car to Malaysia - worth it? how much import duties?

I have moved to KL, and is planning to import my car to Malaysia, since I had paid off most of it, and it is still very new, less than 10k.

I have done quite a bit of research and quotations, and one question:
*Motor vehicles are subject to import duties and taxes ranging from 150% to 300% depending on the cc.

Anyone has any idea how much it would be for a car of 1395cc?

If anyone has any experience to share of, regarding any aspects of car importing, you are welcome to share. I have to make a decision very soon. Thanks all!

well it depends ru migrating over here..under the MM2H scheme, you are allowed to bring in one car without any import duty, terms and condition applies

cswon15 wrote:

well it depends ru migrating over here..under the MM2H scheme, you are allowed to bring in one car without any import duty, terms and condition applies

I am not Malaysian, not MM2H, on a LTSVP (spouse visa).
Would be easy if MM2H haha :D

If that's the case, i wouldn't suggest you to bring it in. The amount of tax incur on you is more than enough for you to buy another one in Malaysia. Why not just buy one used car here and sell it off when you leave the country? Buying used car doesn't make you lost as much as buying new car, the depreciation is lower.

cswon15 wrote:

If that's the case, i wouldn't suggest you to bring it in. The amount of tax incur on you is more than enough for you to buy another one in Malaysia. Why not just buy one used car here and sell it off when you leave the country? Buying used car doesn't make you lost as much as buying new car, the depreciation is lower.

Thx, this is why I want to locate as much info to help me decided. Looks like a no-no then~~ haha

too much things to consider, not worth it, import duty is one thing, getting someone with an AP cert to import for you is another thing. In Malaysia, not everyone can bring in their car unless they have an AP..and if im not mistaken all MM2H holder will be able to get a "One-TIMe use "AP

Some updates ***

I have checked with Custom, and they quoted the import duty, excise duty and GST only accounts for 30% of my car purchase price, so I would still say cheaper than me to buy a car here. But I am unsure how much it would cost to get AP, or any other hidden charges upon importing, as I can see from Lowyat, can be 150-300% of the car price (the info was in 2007!!), but now only about 30%. Hope someone can share their experience.

There are other issues. The car has to be importable - i.e. have a specification that is acceptable here. I also have heard people who have imported vehicles have had lots of trouble because the fuel here is not compatible with some engine builds.

This gives lots of detail - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian … ort_duties

Thanks, that's good info for sure.
But is the tax calculated based on the car purchase price, or the CIF?

Customs had quoted me based on CIF, which would be much less than my car's original purchase price.
Do you have any idea here?
It would make a hell of a difference, and the tax would still be cheaper than purchasing an identical car here. Thx

Don't know how the discussions have gone, but if you are asking leading questions you will hear what you want..... Just a warning about dealing with officialdom here.  "Yes" can mean yes or no. The best way forward may to be contact the vehicle importer you will have to use (because they have a licence to do this kind of work) and get some information from them. They would be collecting the excise, etc. from you so they should be informed. Check a couple of firms to square the information.

Did you check that spare parts would be available in Malaysia for your particular make and model of vehicle, remembering those that are imported will be also be subject to taxation. Probably worth checking this angle out too.

I also read on the following referenced website, that if a vehicle is imported by a person on a work permit, they have to export it again when they leave the country as they cannot dispose of it as its deemed an import for personal use.  Something else to check out. https://jctjapan.wordpress.com/how-to-i … -malaysia/ It mentions 170% of CIF as the import duty. It does explain the documentation and process. It's talking about Japanese vehicles, but guess the principles are valid and similar for all types of vehicle.

Thanks for your detailed reply, it is just a normal factory family car, and it is serviceable in Malaysia, had confirmed with local dealer.  I will double check with customs still, to see if any other parts are taxable.

The guide is very useful, I will use that as a backbone to check with customs, and hope it turns out feasible. As long as it is a certain percentage cheaper than getting the same car here, it should be worthwhile.

But remember the cost of exporting it as well. By that stage it may not fall into the age of car that can be imported elsewhere i.e. its 5 years in Malaysa. In that case not sure what you would have to do.

So were you able import the car finally ? Let me know how it went through as I am also going through a similar situation and would like to import my personal car to Malaysia.
Awaiting for your reply...please

Even under MM2H the duty reduced benefit has been eliminated.

"ANNOUNCEMENT FOR TAX INCENTIVE UNDER MM2H PROGRAMME

The Goverment has decided to abolish the tax incentive on the purchase of a new locally assembled vehicle or the import of a pre-owned private vehicle into Malaysia under MM2H Programme. Therefore, this tax incentive will be terminated effective from 1 January 2018."

aawun wrote:

I have moved to KL, and is planning to import my car to Malaysia, since I had paid off most of it, and it is still very new, less than 10k.

I have done quite a bit of research and quotations, and one question:
*Motor vehicles are subject to import duties and taxes ranging from 150% to 300% depending on the cc.

Anyone has any idea how much it would be for a car of 1395cc?

If anyone has any experience to share of, regarding any aspects of car importing, you are welcome to share. I have to make a decision very soon. Thanks all!

Thinking of importing my Tesla X into Malaysia. Anyone has any idea where to get the estimated total cost?

I would say that either you can afford it and don;t worry about the cost, or else I would forget it.

Big issues with importing Tesla. No dealers as yet so service in all through Hong Kong (for what that is worth). Then there are the issues of charging stations. Massive documentary requirements.

And the import duties will be exorbitant, even with depreciation of 10% per year calculated of the original price) (be aware that Year 1 = 90%; Year 2 =81%; Year 3 = 73% etc.) X import duty of 140% passenger car of 1799cc or less.

https://www.nst.com.my/cbt/2019/08/5090 … e-malaysiahttps://www.quora.com/Why-is-Tesla-so-e … -marketing

apparently only place on Malaysia you can still import a car with no taxes in Langkawi under the MM2H

The problem with importing through Langkawi (or Labuan) is that you can only use the vehicle for 90 days anywhere else in Malaysia before returning to the island.

At least that appears to be what Malaysian Customs in this rather officious, legalistic response to the urban myth seems to be saying.

https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/categ … -malaysia/https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/categ … isleading/

Admittedly when you get government bureaucrats writing they often sound as if they are saying "you can but you can't".

Are there any restrictions on age of car on registea6in Malaysia. I have an MM2H Visa but have already bought a tax free car in the 1st year I got my visa. Planning to bring my car into Malaysia if costs not prohibitive. Cars fully paid up and can easily get parts in Malaysia. Dont mind paying the tax as the cost of buying a similar car in Malaysia is a lot more than the tax n other charges. Any advise appreciated.

I don't think Malaysia allows the importation of cars older than 5 Years into the country.