Teaching English in Spain...?

Hi,
I'd like to find a job teaching English in Spain, however, I just wanted some advice from anybody who has ever done this before...
What was your experience like of teaching English in Spain?
Any tips/advice?
Do all teaching jobs in Spain require you to stay with a host family? (this is what I've come across during my job search!)
Thanks in advance :)

I'm also curious about this. Marking so I can see any replies. I have a friend who did it in China and I think he had to stay with a host family.

Hi everyone,
I have been living in Spain for 8 years, although I have not taught English (I have thought about it because it must be the most popular job for native English-speaking ex-pats).
I have met many English teachers, and none of them live with a guest family!

If you are from outside EU, you may find a job before you arrive in Spain, and your employer will handle the paperwork, some employers may place you in a "host family", to teach English to members of that family, but that is just one of the many teaching roles.
I know several people who offer English classes privately (from their own home or at the customers'). Also there are many Language Schools who employ many native-speaking teachers with the right qualifications.
US citizens will need a work visa from the Spanish Embassy in the USA.
Anyone working in Spain should be registered with several bodies and you need to be in the country of Spain (i.e. have a Spanish address) to do this paperwork, for EU citizens they are:
1. the local office of foriegners for your Identity document (N.I.E.)   - EU citizens can obtain an EU citizen´s registration instead.
2. the local town hall for resident-status (Empadronamiento),
3. the tax office (Agencia Tributaria)
4. and with Social Security (seguridad social) for public health care (except non-EU citizens who will need to prove their private health cover).

To get the above, you will need to provide other documents (e.g. Spanish bank statements, proof of home address etc etc) but once  you have these documents you can apply for a job in Spain or set-up as self-employed (autonomo).

I hope someone can clarify if I have made any mistakes or left anything out.
Good luck!
Simon
p.s. you can find much useful information in this forum - e.g. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=655208

Hangoverocks.    4  and with Social Security (seguridad social) for public health care (except non-EU citizens who will need to prove their private health cover).

Just to clarify.    Non EU nationals who get a job will also get the medical cover the same as EU nationals