American masters social work/bachelors in psychology work?

Hi I currently got hired to teach English in Madrid Spain for 16-20 hours a week not very much pay. I wanted to know as a American with a masters in social work and bachelors in psychology would I be able to use my degree in any capacity in Spain to find other work? Currently I am a licensed psychotherapist and do lots of clinical mental health therapy providing one on one therapy, group, and family therapy. I am open to other possibilities just curious if there is any insight anyone has? I know with covid things are hard, but I wondered what knowledge I can find on here.

Hi again.

How is your Spanish?  I don't know whether they actually have what you described in Spain, but assuming they do, in general across the EU, you will need to speak the host nation language as a pre-requisite to getting any medical qualification recognised in that country.  They are looking for written proof (exam certificate) of your ability.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi my Spanish is not great I am still learning Spanish. However, I know there are opportunities for speaking English is there any therapist, social work, school counsellor opportunities ?

Hi again.

If your profession is regulated in Spain, then you will need to check with the regulating body whether they will accept "not great Spanish".  Spain isn't a country I know much about, but the 3 countries I "look after", I know would not accept you working in any medically regulated profession without an ability to speak the native language to a recognised standard.  If your profession is not regulated, then no problem, you just need to find a job.

So what to do; there is a European Federation of Psychologists Associations link; their phone number is Tel. : +32 2 503 49 53 and you can email them at head office (at) efpa.eu they should be able to tell you about working anywhere in Europe as a Psychologist and what you need to do, they may even know about jobs.  If they don't know about jobs, this link will take you to a Google search I just did look for psychology jobs in Spain.

One word of warning about looking for work long-range on the Internet, unless your qualifications put you in a very narrow band of skilled people that they are actively looking for and are in short supply, most agencies will rapidly lose interest in you the moment they realise you can't start work tomorrow and don't speak the local language; it's a sad fact of life, they get paid for placing people, the more they place the more they get paid and the quicker you start, the quicker they earn their bonus; so you now know about and all you can do is just keep at it; luck always plays a part in job searching.

One last word - watch out for scammers; anybody who asks you for money upfront is almost certainly a scammer; we see them frequently on here.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi thank you for providing all that information. I wanted to know if you knew of a program called Conversa Spain it's to teach English they have us pay $1,440 to join the program. Would that be a scam ?

Hi again.

I'd never heard of them, but a quick Google search tells me that others who have paid up think it's a scam; read for yourself here.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team