Moving to Spain and keeping my US job


I was born in Spain, and I recently got my U.S. citizenship (I have dual citizenship now). I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out what's the best way to deal with a US remote job from Spain. I have read that it is possible to get paid thru a w-2, but if I do that I wouldn't be paying social security in Spain so I wouldn't have the option to the universal health care (please correct me if I'm wrong).

The other option would be to get paid as an independent contractor, and become an autónomo in Spain, which my employer doesn't want to pay me thru a 1099.

Can anybody guide me here? Are there other options? Do I have the wrong information?

Thank you in advance!

I don't know much but I can tell you this. I am living off retirement money (social security  plus saving accounts) from the US. I pay US tax on my retirement income and on my interest earned from savings. When I transfer some of that for my living in Spain I pay no Spanish income tax because of the law (the income tax has been paid in the US). I have no income earned in Spain so I pay no income tax or social security. When I applied for health coverage I was asked if I received a pension from the US. I said yes and now have health coverage. It might be because my wife is Spanish but her income is from the same sources as mine. So she also pays no income tax or social security to Spain.

@ronjonesnc thank you so much for this!! I don't know if this would apply to me as well since I'm not retiring in the near future yet, but I'm Spanish as well…