Latvian name and English name differences and UK Visa complications

Hi All,

I have recently gained Dual Latvian Citizenship and my Latvian name is very different to my English name which I have had forever.

I am wanting to get a Latvian Passport in wake of Brexit etc however am unsure whether to use the Latvian name or change my name (to English) for the passport. I need this passport to extend my stay in the UK for Brexit as I am from New Zealand.

Does anyone know the best way around this? Does it matter if I have two different passports with two versions of my name?

drilu682 wrote:

Hi All,

I have recently gained Dual Latvian Citizenship and my Latvian name is very different to my English name which I have had forever.

I am wanting to get a Latvian Passport in wake of Brexit etc however am unsure whether to use the Latvian name or change my name (to English) for the passport. I need this passport to extend my stay in the UK for Brexit as I am from New Zealand.

Does anyone know the best way around this? Does it matter if I have two different passports with two versions of my name?

Were you given a Latvian name only after you obtained Latvian passport/citizenship?

Latvianisation of names is rife and occurs automatically.

When I married here - my English Surname - which goes back hundreds of years was Latvianised on the Marriage Certificate.

The Dept offered to state both English and Latvian versions on it - but what actually happened was it Latvianised BOTH ...

What should have been Svetlana Luther if married in UK was agreed to be :

Svetlana Lutere (Luther)

but certificate actually reads :

Svetlana Lutere Lutere

I wish you luck ....

The strange thing is - my Residence Permit has my full ENGLISH name on ... without Latvian version.

@solentlife What do you mean .Resident card your always a British subject in this world .The card allows you to live in any other country but your mane can never alter .Alter it in any way is jail offense

They tried adding an S on my English name .I refused to sign it and made such a fuss .I told the official I am a British subject not Latvian no need to learn it as only a resident .They contacted me to invite me to be a permanent resident but name was my full British name and title .So i accepted as had built a house for us here .