Is 53K enough with 2 kids?

Hello everybody,

Is 53000€ gross salary enough to live in Antwerp, considering that I have two kids (3 & 5) and a wife who probably cannot work at first?

They also offer:
- a full company car inc. fuel
- lunch vouchers
- health insurance
- 63€ per month

Please explain your comments in details.
Thank you in advance.

With also the benefits, thats a nice wage and you will be able to live comfortably.

Thank you for your post.
Is it possible to give some supporting information regarding your comment?

Have a look at this site for cost of living https://www.numbeo.com

I already know that website. According to that website;

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

when I enter my current salary in my country, it says the same life standard could be possible with earning €4826 net salary per month.

So this is the reason that I am trying to understand the minimum salary that I need to have.

Thank you.

If you'd done a group search or google search, you'd have discovered your proposed income is like almost 3 times the average Belgian income.

Survival support for a family of 2 adults and 2 children is less than 2k per month.

You can make charitable donations and declare them on your tax return, it would be wonderful if you could share your good income with those less fortunate, gifting is very easy here.

Thank you for your comment.

According to cost of living comparison result (in my previous post) and your additional comment, should I think that most of the people in Belgium are poor and living in minimum standards etc.?

If you have any additional comments, please share with me. Thank you in advance.

mnktb2 wrote:

If you have any additional comments, please share with me. Thank you in advance.

You have been given the answer, I don't know what more you want to hear?

The answer has been given, and there is plenty of information available in the internet and also in this forum about actual cost of living, which is enough to make a decision.

Hi everyone,
I am still waiting to receive my single permit, but I am supposed to start working at the beginning of August. My company has suggested me to choose Antwerp or Hasselt to live in. Irrespective to the cost of living, which seems to be almost similar, my main concern about Antwerp is the traffic. I have heard that traffic is a big issue in Antwerp and I might stick in it for two hours sometimes. Therefore, I myself am more inclined toward Hasselt because it is smaller and thus have less traffic. For the same reason, I am afraid there might not be so much to do after work. Any suggestions?
I do appreciate if anyone shares his/her insight.

Bests,
Behnam

I personally don't think Antwerp traffic is that bad. I spent probably the past 30 odd years driving through Belgium from England 3-4 times a year. I have been living in Edegem Antwerp for 5 months now. Yes it is busy on the 19 & 17 etc a lot of european freight and holiday makers etc travel through Antwerp on some of the biggest Euro Routes in Europe. However i spent most of my life in London! Hasselt has less traffic yes but what you need to do is look at where your going to be based for work and what routes you would use! As for things to do hasselt will allow you to do more in your private life with your family because it is smaller and easier to get to places in  less time than Antwerp. Antwerp does have bottlenecks around the kennedy tunnel area for sure but normally it is free flowing unless there is an accident, in London, traffic is never free flowing and always stop start.  You need to pin your work location on a map and look for a home with a good route and route options.

michael4012 wrote:

I personally don't think Antwerp traffic is that bad. I spent probably the past 30 odd years driving through Belgium from England 3-4 times a year. I have been living in Edegem Antwerp for 5 months now. Yes it is busy on the 19 & 17 etc a lot of european freight and holiday makers etc travel through Antwerp on some of the biggest Euro Routes in Europe. However i spent most of my life in London! Hasselt has less traffic yes but what you need to do is look at where your going to be based for work and what routes you would use! As for things to do hasselt will allow you to do more in your private life with your family because it is smaller and easier to get to places in  less time than Antwerp. Antwerp does have bottlenecks around the kennedy tunnel area for sure but normally it is free flowing unless there is an accident, in London, traffic is never free flowing and always stop start.  You need to pin your work location on a map and look for a home with a good route and route options.

Thanks for your response. My workplace is Olen, so I should take E313 no matter if I live in Antwerp or Hasselt and Olen has almost the same distance from both cites. I live with my wife, and she is not going to work (at least for the near future). I know Antwerp is better for my wife since there would be more options for her to do while I am at work, but life is too short to waste it on traffic if I am going to spend more than 1 hour per day in it.  life is much calmer in small cities but also more boring, so I think you can understand the dilemma I am facing :D. I am going to receive a company car with a fuel card, so we can plan to travel during the weekends. So if the traffic is not a huge problem, I think Antwerp is a better option because I heard it is a beautiful city. which would you choose in a similar situation?

Thanks so much

I choose Antwerp because this is where most of my work is, however i am not in the city centre but do commute into and around the city most days. Your wife will need to be near good transport without a car, cycling is not always the best way. Check out the suburbs with tram lines etc I am in Edegem which means i am near to main Auto routes and also the countryside. But i am not near a tram way and direct buses are a 10-15 minute walk from me but i do not need either i am either riding a motorcycle or driving a car.

My work will be in  Berchem, Antwerp area. Considering the schools for my children, which area will be the best to stay? Both in Antwerp or outside Antwerp? Thank you.

Which school? One near work and home with a place you like. Only you know where you live and work. It's very easy to find schools. Which area? Well I'd live near work.
https://data-onderwijs.vlaanderen.be/on … spx?hs=bao

My children will be 4 & 6.
At first, I need to find a primary school for the older one.

What are the best websites to find a flat in Antwerp? Could you please share your comments? Thank you.

immoweb.be
immovlan.be

Thank you so much