Calm water

Which part of the Dominican (or other part of the Caribbean) has the calmest water for the longest amount of time each year? I am semi retired and picked up a new sport... Jetsurfing. Actually I've started racing a jetsurf. Since nearly no one knows what a jetsurf is, I'll tell you. It's a motorized surfboard with a 90-100 cc 2 stroke engine that goes 35 mph. 2019 models will be fuel injected. I want to know where the calmest water is so I can set up bouys to practice. A sheltered bay would work, so would a lake. Vehicle access would be required. It would be great if the water is calm enough to leave bouys up permanently. I want to find a location and worry about permits afterwards. And if I could purchase land or a place to live in front of this water in question, that would be even better. Thanks for your help :)

You will need to find sheltered beaches from the trade winds that blow for about ten months of the year from north east to south west and the waves from the open Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea. Being within a reef will also help.

It would also appear that you will likely be wanting to be in or close to an expat community.

Here are a few suggestions of places to research ( I have no ideas on permits etc.):

The west end of Playa Las Ballenas in Las Tererenas

The east end of Playa Bonita Las Terrenas

The most easterly part of the long meandering Playa Coson in Las Terrenas where it is protected by a reef (by Nomads) and there is vacant and in this area.

Playa Sosua

Luperon Bay

Playa La Ensenada  and Punta Rucia with reef, and again land available close to beach.

Boca Chica with reef protection.

Bayahibe

Palmar de Ocoa and Ocoa Bay generally including Bahia de las Calderas

Of course there will be other locations recommended and this is just a few places to research perhaps with comments from others.

The calmest water I have seen in DR is in Bahia de las Aguilas and Playa La Caobita, Azua, but out of the way.

First welcome to the forums! Interesting question you pose.

As a general rule the waters are calmer on the Caribbean side.  There are some stunning bays on the south west side of the country but they have less access and less of an expat community if in fact that is something you need or want

As to permits: not a clue but the Marina De Guerra should know.

Thanks for the reply. I'm here for a month. Just got here. I'm going to rent a car and go on several scouting missions. I'll check out the places you mentioned

What about as far as not too old of expats go? I'm 38, is there an area that expats under 45 flock to?

My Spanish isnt really good so some sort of expat community would be nice but isn't completely necessary. What's more important is meeting people that are close to my age, 38, vs your typical retirement age expats.

I'm making my base camp for my trip in Puerto Plata. I'll be visiting Santo Domingo and the surrounding areas as well, but my guess is that's not where I'll want to be. I've been to Punta Cana before and seems ok but feels kinda fake.

Again thanks for the input :)

What is t about your need or your age group that you require? Active physical  traits? Educational levels, financial status, please defne it for us..  Most expats here are not the south Florida Majong, shuffle board types.  Most are very active people who make use of the gifts that lving here provides. A more convivial sort of folk, golf carts instead of wheelchairs so to speak. JC is an unusual exception.  Cabarete has a more youth oriented group because of the water sports that are world famous.  Much can be enjoyed & learned from others outside you age group. You will see it for yourself.   OH, by the wayI am a 78 year old biker who recently had to get off my ride because of failing eyesight.  Good luck to you & may you see what we see.

When you get to Santo Domingo let me know.

Sports activists generally can be found in Cabarete area.