The must-try activities in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Moving to the Dominican Republic is an exciting opportunity to discover a new culture and try things you might not even have heard of before. To make sure other expats and expats-to-be do not miss a thing, would you be able to answer the following questions on activities not-to-be-missed in Dominican Republic?

What are the activities everyone must try at least once in Dominican Republic?

What are the activities that one should partake in if they want to discover the local culture?

Are there any activities that are characteristic of the Dominican Republic?

Do you have an anecdote to share about any of the activities listed above?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

For someone who has been here for some time and travelled around widely there are so many things to suggest.

But to get the ball rolling, I would advocate everybody tries to experience a typical Dominican Sunday seeing out the past week enjoying themselves.

There are so many examples to be found.

At a colmado in the campo or away from the expat crowd, chatting, drinking, danching bachata or merengue until the wee hours. Even a game of dominoes thrown in.

At a local beach haunt sucha as Nagua, La Entrada, Palenque, Los Patos or San Rafael. Just chilling out with family with food, drink and music and full of merryment. Away from tourists and sheer fun.

At a rio cooking up a meal over wood fire whilst cooling off in the cool waters with drink and family happiness all around. There is such a place just north of Bonao that is a favorite and another on the Rio Bani north of that town.

At the natural spring pool on the outskirts of Limon as you drive from Las Terrenas with plenty of Dominicans cooling off with drink and music until very late with impromtu dance floors alongside the road.

That's just a few ideas for a Dominican Sunday and a bleery Monday.

There is so much to do here that this is a tough subject.

One thing to understand is the size of this island and the country. The diversity runs from dessert to tropical rain forest, from beach to highest peak in the Caribbean.

We have beaches, rivers, pools. 
We have hiking from the novice to expert.
We have  eco sports.
We have adventure sports.
We have the sit and watch others sports as well!  :D

For me we have dancing. Everywhere and anywhere you can  dance. You can dance 7 days a week 364 days of the year.

One cultural experience is Sunday evenings,  near the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo. Starting about  6pm the gov't and ministry of tourism provides this unbelievable event free of charge. Grupo Bonye plays about  4 hours of great music,  merengue, bachata, salsa and son.  Its a wonderful night with a cross section of the culture here!  You will see families, couples,  singles, entire neighborhoods who go every Sunday, work groups, the elderly to the very young.... like in a stroller young.....

I second the comments above, go to the corner colmado. Or the colmadon as I call it the dancing colmado.  Sunday afternoon and evening on the Malecon in any water facing city or town. 

The one thing I do not advise is coming here during Easter....  definitely too many people for me. Actually the big cities are the place to be during Easter....

There are so many great things to see and do in this country!

Sound exactly like my last vaction in the dominican! Locals fishing in the rio. Gatherd as a fmily. Boomboxes on top of cars with different music from each. And cant forget their source of hidration... el Presidente!

Yes. Seeing Dominicans enjoying themselves as family or friends is without doubt a unique experience. On the surface much happiness despite life's challenges.

But as Planner points out, there are so many - maybe too many - other specific experiences to list.

Here's something....

Not so many expats visit Faro de Colon just east of Rio Ozama built after an architectural competition and designed by a British Architect to celebrate Colombus discovering the Americas. An oddity but perhaps wondrous with the light show designed? And to that the history of Zona Colonial and the now revamped Malecon in Santo Domingo and you have a memorable capital city (until you discover the traffic jams!).

DR has so much.

Hello my dear Expats!

Based on experience:

What are the activities everyone must try at least once in Dominican Republic?

I tried 'Los 27 charcos' the 27 waterfalls, it was something to remember, you gotta hike your way up one waterfall after another  and then work your way down one by one by jumping from one to the next. But definitely worth the experience and adrenaline rush! Most people don't make it to 27, we probably only reached 16 or less, it is quite a challenge and the weather must be precise for the waterfalls to be at full throttle! Ask where it is located and you shall find it.

What are the activities that one should partake in if they want to discover the local culture?

For me it was the countryside, you will never know the origin of a culture unless you explore the countryside whether it is located by the beach or within mountains, the countryside is the way to go, You can go fruit picking straight from the trees, horseback riding, or dance your way out in the country clubs!

And if you are in the city, then your local museum and parks should do. I prefer the gym where you get to meet and see diferrent people and stay active!

Good luck!!

Oh yes los 27 charcos also known as Damajagua Falls.  Tourist are generally allowed to climb the bottom 7, I have done this a dozen times.  Each time was incredible.  Going higher requires advanced skills and fitness and is amazing.

I recommend it as well!  Do not go right after a heavy rain!

Playa Fronton - a hidden beach accessible only by boat with a coral garden:

https://youtu.be/-Wdhfg7SRr4

Samana Zip Line and Dominican Tree House:

https://youtu.be/fR-JISYyQMU

Parque Nacional Los Haitises:

https://youtu.be/tl4fVsJBDW4