Punta Cana

GM Expat,
Some friends and I are traveling to Punta Cana in a few weeks and are looking for the local place to see and hang out. Interested in getting feedback. Please reply!

Mike

Make certain you carry a lot of money and hide it in your socks

When I read that reply I think of two things. High prices and sketchy environment.

Sorry I am in the north coast so can't help on you.
However also have a condo in the Knoxville area (Maryville)
Enjoy your trip

Bob K

There are some things you can do in Punta Cana outside the resorts, however, getting round is not that easy as the area is very spread out.

There is public transport - motorbike taxis (motoconchos) - at your peril, and local buses (guaguas) that cover the main routes.
Taxis are very expensive.

If your hotel is within walking distance or a short bus ride from one of the few local commercial centres (Friusa, Cortecito, Los Corales) these are the areas where you can hang out in local bars, clubs, restaurants. There is a town called Veron which is on the bus route, also full of local bars, clubs, car washes.

Los Corales is the most touristy - the bars and restaurants there are geared to expat residents. Cortecito and Friusa are more mixed. Veron is almost 100% local and you have to be a streetwise, seasoned traveller with a good level of Spanish to be safe there.

Here is a light-hearted article I wrote on the subject
http://www.airtranmagazine.com/features … ke-a-local

Punta Cana Village (near the airport) and Cap Cana (on the southern end of the Bavaro-Punta Cana coastline) are on the other end of the scale - middle-class to wealthy Dominicans are the ones you will find there, along with some expats.

I would recommend an outing to the less touristy beach of Macao, where you can eat freshly caught seafood in one of the shacks at the end of the beach. Macao is a surfers beach and is one of the most scenic in the DR.

Ok... Where are u gonna stay here? Then I can tell u where to go.

captsam54
Hate to tell  you but the OP made the trip over a year ago :)

Bob K