Reading habits in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Books can be your greatest companions whether you have already settled in Dominican Republic or are now planning your move. Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

Where do you purchase or borrow books in Dominican Republic (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading?

Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in Dominican Republic? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

Thanks for participating,

Bhavna

Reading is not culturally the norm here in Dominican Republic.

If you want to read in  English or any language other then Spanish, then you need an electronic reader. IF you live in tourist or expat areas then you need to reach out to other expats and share books.

There are no english newspapers,  magazines and very very few english books available here for purchase.

We bring books over every trip and keep them, building a little library. Hopefully I can start a trading club. But our neighbors are from Norway and Russia so that may not work out. Lol...

There is a used book nook in Sosua. It is open a few hours a week.

I load up my Kindle. We do not have a television so we read quite a bit.

When I lived in Puerto Plata there was a group who traded books.  In Santo Domingo that is much more difficult!

Kindle saved me!!!  Lol

There is an annual book fair held once a year in Santo Domingo, but I think most of the books are Spanish based books, but I could be wrong. Does D.R. Even have a national library? I don't recall anyone speaking on that topic. I think reading would definitely expand the mindset of many on the island.

I've been to the book fair a number of times, it's all in spanish!

I encourage reading every chance I get. I give books to kids early and often an talk about the joy of reading.

Here is an interesting article on E books vs Printed books.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8234890/amp