Internet speed

Is internet speed at or above 10 mbs generally available in Vietnam?
I would like to be able to stream NHL games.

Just had a speedtest a minute ago.  It's 28.21 download and 26.31 upload.

I don't live in Hanoi, however.

Careful.  MBps and Mbps are not the same.

Tested again just now. 

Downstairs at the lobby:  39.34 download, 49.10 upload. 
In our apartment on the 4th floor: 18.23 download, 20.73 upload. 
Using our own hotspot, in our apartment:  46.21 download, 31.99 upload.

Small b.

I somewhat doubt with the significance of the speed tests.

I have problems watching movies on the TV (http://www.phimmoi.net/ or http://bilutv.com). But if I use my computer to do this it works very well.
I have run various speed tests both on the TV and on the computer. Both over LAN and over WLAN the speed tests usually indicate about 30Mbps. So there should be no difference between TV and computer (unless a weak processor for encoding the 1080p video signal in the TV is the problem).

Therefore I believe that in practice the speed rate can be very different (even if the speed test says something different). Depending on the website you visit, which servers the data passes through, which internet provider you use and the router and the end device (computer, TV, etc.) use.

I think it has also to do with priorities.
This shows up for example, when you have low speed over the wifi router but over 3G/4G the speed is high. Even though the 3G/4G data has also to run somewhere over the overseas fibre cables.
Therefore I believe that the speed different occurs in real because there are different priorities for different services.
What I could imagine is that the priorities could be assigned in the order (from more to less priority), mobile phone - computer - consumer electronics.

By the way, if you habe an own router you can try to optimice the internet speed by changing the wifi router settings (e.g. QoS settings).

THIGV wrote:

Careful.  MBps and Mbps are not the same.

Mbps (megabits per second) is usually used in speed tests.
The speed in MBps (megabytes per second) is about factor 10 (8 bit + overhead bits) deeper.

Andy Passenger wrote:

I have problems watching movies on the TV (http://www.phimmoi.net/ or http://bilutv.com). But if I use my computer to do this it works very well.
I have run various speed tests both on the TV and on the computer. Both over LAN and over WLAN the speed tests usually indicate about 30Mbps. So there should be no difference between TV and computer (unless a weak processor for encoding the 1080p video signal in the TV is the problem).

Therefore I believe that in practice the speed rate can be very different (even if the speed test says something different). Depending on the website you visit, which servers the data passes through, which internet provider you use and the router and the end device (computer, TV, etc.) use.

This shows up for example, when you have low speed over the wifi router but over 3G/4G the speed is high. Even though the 3G/4G data has also to run somewhere over the overseas fibre cables.
Therefore I believe that the speed different occurs in real because there are different priorities for different services.
What I could imagine is that the priorities could be assigned in the order (from more to less priority), mobile phone - computer - consumer electronics.

By the way, if you habe an own router you can try to optimice the internet speed by changing the wifi router settings (e.g. QoS settings).

I have the exact issue where I have trouble streaming on my TV but on my laptop its very good. I use wifi on my laptop and even tried a HDMI cable to the TV thinking that may help. It didn't change a thing, with lots of buffering and freezing. I have a nice big 48" TV but have to watch sports on my laptop.. LOL
I happen to be just outside Bogota Colombia but will be in Vietnam on an extended stay sometime next year. But it looks like internet is much faster there than I have here in Colombia so I will be OK on that front. Thanks for the info.

NHLFAN wrote:
Andy Passenger wrote:

I have the exact issue where I have trouble streaming on my TV but on my laptop its very good. I use wifi on my laptop and even tried a HDMI cable to the TV thinking that may help. It didn't change a thing, with lots of buffering and freezing. I have a nice big 48" TV but have to watch sports on my laptop.. LOL
I happen to be just outside Bogota Colombia but will be in Vietnam on an extended stay sometime next year. But it looks like internet is much faster there than I have here in Colombia so I will be OK on that front. Thanks for the info.

Does your laptop have an HDMI "out" port?

I have a long cable for my HP Envy laptop.

'Normal' HDMI connector on one end; smaller (not micro) HDMI on the other end.

If I can view something on my laptop I can view it through most older HDMI enabled TV's.

Also, If I connect my ROKU 3 unit to the TV I can "cast" the screen of my laptop to the TV.

Windows 8.1 ~ Don't know about Mac.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Does your laptop have an HDMI "out" port?

I have a long cable for my HP Envy laptop.

'Normal' HDMI connector on one end; smaller (not micro) HDMI on the other end.

If I can view something on my laptop I can view it through most older HDMI enabled TV's.

Also, If I connect my ROKU 3 unit to the TV I can "cast" the screen of my laptop to the TV.

Windows 8.1 ~ Don't know about Mac.

I had the same idea.

I have an older but still fast (Intel i7) Dell laptop with Windows 10.
But it only has a DisplayPort port and no HDMI port.
So I bought a DisplayPort to HDMI cable from Lazada and connected the TV to the laptop.
But it doesn't work that way. Maybe I need an active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.
But first I wanted to try to establish a Wi-Fi Direct (also called Wi-Fi P2P or Miracast) connection between the laptop and the TV.

However, my laptop has an old not Miracast compatible Wifi board.
So I ordered a Miracast compatible Wifi board for the laptop, from Lazada  :),  and installed it. But it doesn't work that way either. Another component or driver is apparantly not Miracast compatible (chipset, graphics card). If I have too much time again I will get to the bottom of the problem.

But for those who want to connect a newer computer or smartphone to a newer TV, try Wi-Fi Direct.
With my already aging Microsoft Surface Pro 3 this works perfectly.

NHLFAN wrote:

If you don't have buffering on your laptop, but you see buffering on the TV when using an HDMI cable from your laptop, there's something definitely wrong with your setup because HDMI is just a reflection of what's being displayed on your laptop, and HDMI doesn't cause bandwidth problems (unless we're getting into 4K HEVC high bandwidth but that's probably not your case).

WillyBaldy wrote:
NHLFAN wrote:

If you don't have buffering on your laptop, but you see buffering on the TV when using an HDMI cable from your laptop, there's something definitely wrong with your setup because HDMI is just a reflection of what's being displayed on your laptop, and HDMI doesn't cause bandwidth problems (unless we're getting into 4K HEVC high bandwidth but that's probably not your case).

I see the mistake I made in my post. I said HDMI and meant cat5 cable from my router to tv. I was thinking it may have been the wifi to the TV was too slow and ran a hard wire from the router to TV with no improvement it streaming.  But my laptop does have HDMI port so I may be able to to try that to watch sports on my TV. Thanks for pointing out the error in my post.

NHLFAN wrote:

I see the mistake I made in my post. I said HDMI and meant cat5 cable from my router to tv. I was thinking it may have been the wifi to the TV was too slow and ran a hard wire from the router to TV with no improvement it streaming.  But my laptop does have HDMI port so I may be able to to try that to watch sports on my TV. Thanks for pointing out the error in my post.

No problem. It should work flawlessly with an HDMI cable. Now, about the cat5 cable, it's still strange but honestly there's a lot of bottlenecks that can happen and it could be the smart features of your TV being on the slow side (very slow CPU and bad software and codecs) or a problem with the network interface of your TV. I've never liked using TVs directly to play streams, and always stream through an external 'computer' like a Shield TV, Vero 4K, Playstation 4 and so on, with an HDMI cable. Much less hassle and much more robust.

WillyBaldy wrote:
NHLFAN wrote:

No problem. It should work flawlessly with an HDMI cable. Now, about the cat5 cable, it's still strange but honestly there's a lot of bottlenecks that can happen and it could be the smart features of your TV being on the slow side (very slow CPU and bad software and codecs) or a problem with the network interface of your TV. I've never liked using TVs directly to play streams, and always stream through an external 'computer' like a Shield TV, Vero 4K, Playstation 4 and so on, with an HDMI cable. Much less hassle and much more robust.

I am streaming off a fire-stick through Kodi. I have Area 51, mainly for live hockey games. I am still going through Kodi on my laptop but without the fire-stick.

@Rachel,
You are replying to a post from 2018, please check the date of last post before posting your answer, the member has not posted for 2 years.
Hello Andybris2020,

It appears that this user has started to spam the Vietnam forum.

I deleted the account and messages related to it.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
Hello Andybris2020,

It appears that this user has started to spam the Vietnam forum.

I deleted the account and messages related to it.

Thanks for the report.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
- @Cheryl

Thanks for that, no doubt they will be back 1f60e.svg