Today's Weather

Dunno what happened here; snow has gone, day temps back in double figures with light rain

We had a bit of snow but didn't last long. 2nd night of winds of 100km/h

Still coming down here and quite thick with large flakes.  I am not sure how long it will last.

I was getting envious of those folks trapped in the pub with an Oasis tribute band.   

But I believe they've all escaped now.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Still coming down here and quite thick with large flakes.  I am not sure how long it will last.

I was getting envious of those folks trapped in the pub with an Oasis tribute band.   

They managed to get out after the 3rd night, which was when snowplough was able to free them. The problem was power lines had come down so roads were blocked.
Not bad, free breakfast, Sunday roast, buffet oh and drinks... They are planning a reunion already.

No fights, all got on, would have been fun to watch, would beat Big Brother

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

They managed to get out after the 3rd night, which was when snowplough was able to free them. The problem was power lines had come down so roads were blocked.
Not bad, free breakfast, Sunday roast, buffet oh and drinks... They are planning a reunion already.

Would have been an interesting little "holiday"  snowed in.  They were in good shape - electricity, food and entertainment.   Like a full board holiday in the snow. 

But in true UK fashion, it took ages for a snowplough to reach them.  Makes it seem disorganised.   No-one probably has winter tyres or chains in their cars. But as it was rural, someone must have had 4WD or the government or Army could have sent in a snowcat.

Snow is melting here.   Gone from the road but still sticking on the car.  Have to brush it off before it freezes on there during the night.

Temp now 4 C, no breeze or chill factor, rained 7mm since midnight, steady pressure. Drizzling a bit.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Would have been an interesting little "holiday"  snowed in.  They were in good shape - electricity, food and entertainment.   Like a full board holiday in the snow. 

But in true UK fashion, it took ages for a snowplough to reach them.  Makes it seem disorganised.   No-one probably has winter tyres or chains in their cars. But as it was rural, someone must have had 4WD or the government or Army could have sent in a snowcat.

Snow is melting here.   Gone from the road but still sticking on the car.  Have to brush it off before it freezes on there during the night.

Temp now 4 C, no breeze or chill factor, rained 7mm since midnight, steady pressure. Drizzling a bit.

Local news tells us they had to clear the snow, then remove all the broken power lines in amongst the mess before they could clear the roads to be used.  They were heard to use that well known Yorkshire saying when presented with their departure bill ........... "How bloody much!!!"

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

1 person was rescued straight away due to medical grounds, 10 others were able to leave because they had 4 x 4's. But it was tricky getting there as more snow was coming and power lines down had to be cleared first.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

1 person was rescued straight away due to medical grounds, 10 others were able to leave because they had 4 x 4's. But it was tricky getting there as more snow was coming and power lines down had to be cleared first.

Judging from the photos of the car park, the 4x4's that left, promptly turned around and came back again.

Cynic wrote:

Judging from the photos of the car park, the 4x4's that left, promptly turned around and came back again.

Maybe they couldn't face life on the outside, realised what they could be facing back in reality and preferred to return to Narnia, oh no, I mean fantasy Noasis* Pub Land.

* that was the name of the tribute band.

Snow, sleet and slight drizzling rain, 0 C but chill factor -2C.

Some wind ~1 km/h from the West variable.

Heavy overcast clouds (hills obscured).

Very damp 90% humidity. Relative pressure steady.

Today sunrise 0720h and sunset 1553h (losing 1-2mins per day until 21 December)

Dog slightly wet and damp but snoozing possibly dreaming.  Cat asleep on sofa  yet again (despite our best efforts to keep it off).

I thought I'd respond with what it's like around here today and forthcoming weekend, so pulled the Windows Weather app, looked at it and thought "that doesn't seem to be right".  So compared it with the Met Office app on my phone and it was way out.  So, a bit of digging, the MS freebie you get with windows is supplied by Foreca and to say it's not highly rated is probably an understatement.  Apparently, the most reliable online weather service for your PC is supplied by somebody called Accuweather, unless of course, you know different.

Cynic wrote:

I thought I'd respond with what it's like around here today and forthcoming weekend, so pulled the Windows Weather app, looked at it and thought "that doesn't seem to be right".  So compared it with the Met Office app on my phone and it was way out.  So, a bit of digging, the MS freebie you get with windows is supplied by Foreca and to say it's not highly rated is probably an understatement.  Apparently, the most reliable online weather service for your PC is supplied by somebody called Accuweather, unless of course, you know different.

I'm often using the forecast at yr.no (no adverts at all), the Norwegian weather service. It's quite good and of course available in different versions of Norwegian and the intriguing Sami languages.  I think it's relatively reliable.

Here I'm using a PWS (Personal Weather Station) which is relatively fancy compared to most people's weather instruments..   

Part of it is on the roof of the house along with a waterproofed weather camera pointing towards a tower on top of a hill

The actual model is made by Bresser.   Measures wind speed, direction humidity, UV, rainfall etc.

The inside unit is connected to the part on the roof by a wireless link.  The display unit is connected  Internet by WiFi.  Once in a while it uploads to the Internet (it can use different weather services)

One complaint I have is the software from the provider is US centric. It takes time to convert to degrees C and also inserts content videos from North American weather.  Like I or anyone cares what the weather is like in Wyoming.  Except people in Wyoming of course.

I am still vaguely planning to feed the weather info to a Raspberry PI computer and to overlay it over the camera view.   The camera is a bit rubbish to be honest.  No zoom on it so the hill/tower is too small but it shows the sky and clouds very nicely.  I just haven't got around to finishing this little project and besides I think I need a camera with a better zoom on it. 

Mrs F also wants a camera in the bird box so she can see the baby birds in the Spring.   Not too difficult to organise.  I just have to do it.

We have passed December 21 - Winter Solstice - days are getting longer again.

Today (22nd December), we have 1 whole minute of extra daylight. 

Now it'll start creeping up a minute or two per day.

Sunrise today 7.29h and sunset 15.56h.

It's pretty cold out there.  Almost -4 C in the burbs with a warning for snow.

The cold wind has at least dried out and frozen some of the muddy patches and a lot of the snow has disappeared except where it's compacted like on paths and in car parks.

We have only 2 days of snow so far, -5°C at the moment no more snow is planned this year. By the weekend it will warm up and will be in the + figures.

SimCityAT wrote:

We have only 2 days of snow so far, -5°C at the moment no more snow is planned this year. By the weekend it will warm up and will be in the + figures.

Since my first post of today, we've got a sprinkling of snow.   Relatively large flakes.   

Now it's -3C, sun is shining and very slight breeze.

Suppose to rain and get up to around 50F,on Sat. so any snow is going to melt.
Slush is more in the forecast for the holiday weekend.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

So no sledging this weekend.   The mud will return.

50 F, now there's a blast from the past.   

That's 10 C in new money.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sometimes my brain dislikes conversion.
Lbs. oz, grams, kilo and now temp. readings...
I always have to double check the  temp. readings on our gauge.
For some reason going from F t C is still confusing to me at times.
It's weird my doctor asks me my weight in kilos, if I don't know they do not bother to check.
One day I was 49 kilos and another 52, big difference to me.
I guess if they don't care then it isn't all that important.
I'm pretty good at conversion of dollars into forints in my head, guess money does talk after all.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sometimes my brain dislikes conversion.
Lbs. oz, grams, kilo and now temp. readings...
I always have to double check the  temp. readings on our gauge.
For some reason going from F t C is still confusing to me at times.
It's weird my doctor asks me my weight in kilos, if I don't know they do not bother to check.
One day I was 49 kilos and another 52, big difference to me.
I guess if they don't care then it isn't all that important.
I'm pretty good at conversion of dollars into forints in my head, guess money does talk after all.

You'd implode in the UK. 

We use both at the same time. Kids only know kg etc but over say, 55, good chance we'll talk in pounds, kg, metres,  ft and inches, pints and miles all at the same time.  All road distances in the UK are shown in miles.  I favour dual distances on road signs but no-one has done that yet.  No-one will do it now Brexit has happened.

We know how to convert weights on the fly if it's small amounts.  Older people asking for a couple of lbs of carrots  at the market wouldn't be unusual but it'd be weighed and priced in kg.  My HU kids know nothing about lbs and ft.

What really annoys me is Googling recipes here.  Because I do it in English, unless I take precautions, it returns US results which displays quantities in cups.  No-one knows what a cup is.  Tea cup? Mug? Espresso cup?   The other thing is a cup of sugar weighs more than say a cup of raspberries.   But how do you know how much that is in proper measurements.  Weird thinking.   Don't get me started on letter sized paper.  Jeez!

New Year's Eve in Budapest:

Way too warm for this time of year at 13 C.  And brilliant sunshine, blue skies and winds of 7 m/s.  Was raining a bit earlier on.   

Not sure why we've got this sudden improvement.  Maybe wind from the Sahara.

Birds are tweeting maniacally and the plants are going to be surprised when it drops back again next week. 

Ideal dog walking day but looks quite wet and muddy as the ice melts.

I had to turn off the heating, it was 15°C yesterday, I just looked now and it's 16°C FFS. This is going to play havoc with the flowers in the garden. They will think it's spring. Then we will have Snow again and heavy frosts.

fluffy2560 wrote:

New Year's Eve in Budapest:

Way too warm for this time of year at 13 C.  And brilliant sunshine, blue skies and winds of 7 m/s.  Was raining a bit earlier on.   

Not sure why we've got this sudden improvement.  Maybe wind from the Sahara.

Birds are tweeting maniacally and the plants are going to be surprised when it drops back again next week. 

Ideal dog walking day but looks quite wet and muddy as the ice melts.

The reason for the climate anomaly atm is the Jet Stream is much further south than normal, so we're all getting the warm air from the Azores; also the flight time across the pond W > E is much reduced.

SimCityAT wrote:

I had to turn off the heating, it was 15°C yesterday, I just looked now and it's 16°C FFS. This is going to play havoc with the flowers in the garden. They will think it's spring. Then we will have Snow again and heavy frosts.

Absolutely.  It's gone up to 14 C and it's looking like it'll last until Monday whereupon it'll drop back.  Could be below zero overnight.    Those flowers, birds and trees are going to be confused.   We've already seen birds checking out our bird boxes.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Absolutely.  It's gone up to 14 C and it's looking like it'll last until Monday whereupon it'll drop back.  Could be below zero overnight.    Those flowers, birds and trees are going to be confused.   We've already seen birds checking out our bird boxes.

Just thinking when I arrived 13 years ago, we had a foot of snow.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Just thinking when I arrived 13 years ago, we had a foot of snow.

About the 3rd winter here in Hungary, I remember a good 50cm of snow on my car.  I stupidly tried to drive to work.  I had to abandon the car and go by foot (and I lived on a big hill). 

I like better weather but it looks like the change is going to be bad for agriculture.  Need cold weather to kill off the insect pests.  Feel sorry for the hedgehogs and others cute and cuddly sleeping over.  They will be awake too early from hibernation.

Amazing weather!

We've been dog walking and it's about 13 C, sunny and rather warm.  Even had to take our coats off while hiking through the forest and we even saw people in T-shirts.  Plenty of others walking doing the same thing hiking about with their dogs.   We took an underused route and even  that was relatively busy.    At our local car/jet wash there was a big queue.

On return to the house, Mrs F noticed the daffodils are coming up!  I checked a couple of other bushes and they've got buds on them and some look like they might get leaves.  I am looking out the window at my cherry tree and it's looking a bit keen  to start up for Spring.  Mrs F says even the flies are getting in on the act - they are back.   Winter should have killed them off. 

This is just weirdness.

Quite a big dump of snow this  morning.  Few cm anyway. 

But there's wind and chill factor going on.  -1C and  3 m/s wind. 

Wind chill is -5C.   Brrr....

I can see blue patches in the sky.  It might brighten up!

Another significant dump of snow today.   

No local government snow clearing going on that I can see. 

Mrs F and I were up at 6am sweeping snow off the cars and Mrs F was clearing snow off the footpaths in front of the house.

Temperature is above 0C so it might start to melt away.

fluffy2560 wrote:

No local government snow clearing going on that I can see.

Stick a gritter on the back of the car and drive up and down the road.

No snow here, keep on saying it will then they change their minds and tell us rain.

0°C at the moment. But at least the wind has calmed down. We have had wnds like the UK, but no damage.

and now hail.....

Thunder and lightning now also it's tipping it down.

And to think I'm soon leaving sunny Florida to move there

lvdesignz wrote:

Oh don't worry, it will soon get better. Its still winter. Wait till summer when we have temps of 104°F (40°C) or more.

When do you arrive?

lvdesignz wrote:

It'll be fine, all the snow has gone now.  We had maybe 5cm and it's all melted during the bright sunshine we had during the day. Spring is nice in Europe. All that renewal.

Warmer weather at last 13°C today but its been raining. I still can't do much with a trapped nerve and a slipped disc.

But poor the UK, they are having their fair share of storms.

SimCityAT wrote:

Warmer weather at last 13°C today but its been raining. I still can't do much with a trapped nerve and a slipped disc.

But poor the UK, they are having their fair share of storms.

it's not looking too clever here either but definitely higher temperatures are returning.  I had planned to take the dog out but we just had a shower and sunshine at the same time plus rainbow.   It was heavily overcast with black clouds and high winds.  Now it's sunny with blue skies.  Like one of those places - don't like the weather?  Wait 5 minutes and it'll change.  Now I don't know if it's walkies or not walkies.

My back is acting up but doesn't stop me moving if I'm determined.   Mainly it's pulled muscles.  Needs Mrs F to get in there and give it some heavy pressure  massage.  Can hurt like hell but the feeling afterwards is like such relief.

What will they do about your trapped nerve and slipped disc?   Chiropractor? Surgery?

fluffy2560 wrote:

What will they do about your trapped nerve and slipped disc?   Chiropractor? Surgery?

On Friday they stuck a needle into my back which has done bugger all. So surgery is the next thing they can do.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

On Friday they stuck a needle into my back which has done bugger all. So surgery is the next thing they can do.

Mrs C had some physio for her back; it worked wonders.  She has it on NHS prescription, so can make an appointment for it directly with the Physio as and when she needs it.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.

Backs are fiddly things to fix. Those disks and nerves are a problem.  Must be a design issue.  Need to complain to the manufacturer.     

That's the thing about the human body, it's obviously a work in progress.  Maybe they will fuse it to prevent it grinding.