Today's Weather

Being stationed on the Cayes sounds like a dream unless ne had to march in the humid weather in full gear.
My bro was stationed in the USAF on Okinawa.
He loved it. Swimming every day and sharing a flat with a couple of buddies...
Too many wild times that he will not share with his older sister, me that is.
We checked out Belize as a retirement spot.
Too well off to live like the locals and not quite well off enough to live there in style and retire early... Too bad, the waters off the Cayes were fantastic.
Not so much though in Belize city, we were warned to stay away because they were full of raw sewage...Yuck!
Trying to figure out the weather here in Hungary is impossible.
Rain or no rain?
My indoctrination to Belize from the guy I replaced there, included a trip around Belize City, which was the capital until Hurricane Hattie flattened it in 1961, then out to Belmopan where the Government moved the capital to in an attempt to prevent a recurrence.  I agree with the warning you were given, I saw it for myself.

I have many stories of my time there (young, free and single), but probably not appropriate for an Expat Forum.

My lasting impression of the place was the Cayes were magnificent, the reefs fantastic, and the rest of it is humidity and bugs with lots of legs.
We checked out Belize as a retirement spot.
Too well off to live like the locals and not quite well off enough to live there in style and retire early... Too bad, the waters off the Cayes were fantastic.
Not so much though in Belize city, we were warned to stay away because they were full of raw sewage...Yuck!
Trying to figure out the weather here in Hungary is impossible.
Rain or no rain?
- @Marilyn Tassy

We've just past the longest day (yesterday) so it's a slow slide to those short days in winter.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to spend winter in Spain or the Canaries - little or no heating bills!  And summer can be back here with the Magyars.   Just need those lottery tickets to come in.

Balaton will be heaving this weekend.
I spent some time on the patio of our hotel room in San Inganico watching a large Iguana.
For some reason it didn't scare the BeJesus outta me as normal lizards do.
We were warned by the hotel manager in Belize city to NOT leave our room after dark.
We didn't, man the noise coming from the st. below us. Friday night, party time!
Next morning there was a slew of empty rum bottles all over the place, a few party people sleeping on the sidewalk as well!
We thought a war was going on all night long!
When we rented the metal paddle boat from the 2 locals guys one told us we could pick up the boat at 9 am because he wasn't given day release from jail until that time!
He said he was let out of jail everyday to do his thing and to smoke his grass but had to get back there by dusk.
Ok, that was,"different".
My husband amazes me, he seems to really know how to deal with people from different backgrounds. He could tell the guys were thristy so before they could hit us up, he suggested that he buy them a 6 pack of beer.
Guess his time surfing with the locals on Maui paid off, he knows what people want.
To be honest, it was a place if on my own would probably be on the bottom of my go to list. I'm not very adventurous. My idea of fun is a nice hotel with pool side service.
Safe and easy.
I was more then happy to just hang all day polside at the old hunting lodge in San Ignacio and never paddle the river or swim with the fishes.
I spent some time on the patio of our hotel room in San Inganico watching a large Iguana.
For some reason it didn't scare the BeJesus outta me as normal lizards do.
We were warned by the hotel manager in Belize city to NOT leave our room after dark.
We didn't, man the noise coming from the st. below us. Friday night, party time!
Next morning there was a slew of empty rum bottles all over the place, a few party people sleeping on the sidewalk as well!
We thought a war was going on all night long!
When we rented the metal paddle boat from the 2 locals guys one told us we could pick up the boat at 9 am because he wasn't given day release from jail until that time!
He said he was let out of jail everyday to do his thing and to smoke his grass but had to get back there by dusk.
Ok, that was,"different".
My husband amazes me, he seems to really know how to deal with people from different backgrounds. He could tell the guys were thristy so before they could hit us up, he suggested that he buy them a 6 pack of beer.
Guess his time surfing with the locals on Maui paid off, he knows what people want.
To be honest, it was a place if on my own would probably be on the bottom of my go to list. I'm not very adventurous. My idea of fun is a nice hotel with pool side service.
Safe and easy.
I was more then happy to just hang all day polside at the old hunting lodge in San Ignacio and never paddle the river or swim with the fishes.
- @Marilyn Tassy

One of my "jobs" in Belize was while in town, to drop off the rations to a couple of British soldiers who were in jail there; we took them Army ration packs, apparently, they were the best-fed guys in there.  They didn't get day release, they were in for some really nasty crime.
One of my "jobs" in Belize was while in town, to drop off the rations to a couple of British soldiers who were in jail there; we took them Army ration packs, apparently, they were the best-fed guys in there.  They didn't get day release, they were in for some really nasty crime.
- @Cynic

They should have transferred them back to the UK to serve their sentences either at the Army detention centre or more likely, in the ordinary prisons.   I read only recently that the Army place in Colchester has no proper controls on releasing errant soldiers back into society.

BTW, I actually liked the field ration packs so I can believe they were the best fed.  Loads of calories in those ration packs but boy did we need those when out on exercises. 
Food rations sound terrible to me.
Makes me think of dyhadrated goods and canned meat...
Still can't think of trying dyhadratd scambled eggs on a camping trip without getting the dry heaves...
But what do I know, never had them.
Must of been a bit bad having other soldiers who did crimes while in uniform, bad relfection on all.
I don't know what that local guy did to get    locked up but day relaease must of meant it wasn't too terrible.
We did reflect on who and where he was getting that paddle boat from the day we rented it from him...
Yes, it should be Balaton time soon.. Have to check the water temps.first.
I think this year we will do mre spa days then lake days.
Hate wasting time traveling to the lakes, the spas are so much closer by .
If they get too busy there is always Lupa lake, not too far out of town and the water is nice for swimming in.
- @Cynic

They should have transferred them back to the UK to serve their sentences either at the Army detention centre or more likely, in the ordinary prisons.   I read only recently that the Army place in Colchester has no proper controls on releasing errant soldiers back into society.

BTW, I actually liked the field ration packs so I can believe they were the best fed.  Loads of calories in those ration packs but boy did we need those when out on exercises. 
- @fluffy2560
They had been convicted of a capital crime in Belize, MCTC doesn't take in such felons except as a place of transfer en route to a civil prison, such servicemen are always discharged from their respective service prior to going on to a civil prison, it happens at the MCTC.  The UK military does not have prison as such, it hasn't for many years.  To quote them (MCTC) it "provides corrective training for servicemen and women sentenced to periods of detention; it is not a prison."  The purpose is to either prepare a soldier to return to which ever Service he/she belongs to in order to "soldier on" or to prepare them for life outside the services after they have served their time in detention, or as a stopping place prior to going to a civvie prison; one of my girls had the misfortune of ending up in civil jail for something she did in Germany.
I'll respond in Anything else...
The FWS (Fluffy Weather Station) is showing high levels of UV at 7.  It was almost 8.5 earlier on.  Humidity is 28% so it might lull people into thinking the sun is not quite as strong.  Temperatures are not too bad and there's a nice breeze.   I was in the car and it's showing 30 C.   House fans are on medium to stir it up a bit.

I am not sure if the doggy is up for walking. I'm thinking of taking her at 16h when the sun might be behind the hills and I can walk under the trees anyway.  So many choices all the time.
I prefer the early morning walk, we live next to a school and some kids are intimidated by a dog, so I like to be back before 8 am.

Currently 25 degs here, breeze from the west, 9 mph; just how I like it.
I prefer the early morning walk, we live next to a school and some kids are intimidated by a dog, so I like to be back before 8 am.

Currently 25 degs here, breeze from the west, 9 mph; just how I like it.
- @Cynic

We have the same kind of issue.  The dog is very interested in everyone and rushes over to be friends.  Little kids (below the age of about 8) are usually frightened as she's so full on.   All the dog is doing is saying hallo and looking for food mainly.  If people have dogs, they usually know these things.   So I usually put the dog on the lead if there are little kids. When we've got well past them she can run free again.   She checks people out and then moves on.   But lots of kids want to stroke the dog and she's always up for that.  When they come past our house, the dog is always there waiting for attention.   We even lend the dog to the neighbours who take the dog walkies.  Their kids like it.

My view is that dogs are pretty much as you see them - wagging tail, sniffing and ears forward. Definitely not looking for doggy trouble. Snapping or barking or growling and being unpredictable is a sure sign.     

We've put a lot of effort into training her but some behaviours seem to be entrenched but one good thing is that she's usually easily bribed but only for small stuff.   Advanced training matched with advanced bribery doesn't seem to work now.   I'm working on her finding things by smell - so sniff a shoe, then go and find it.   The other one is coming back reliably.   She responds to a "come back" whistle like a sheep dog.   We have been working on walking next to me without a lead on.  That seems to have suddenly got better. I wonder if it's an age thing - her not me.
I know they sell ,"dog shoes" which is a good idea if they are being walked on hot pavement.
I had snow boots for my Doberman, he hated them think it's something they have to get used to at an early age.
I would never walk my dog in Budapest mid day in the heat on the sidewalks.
I still am not sure why people have dogs in the city.
Just having no place decent for them to sniff around is the least of it.
What about ,"back splash" when they pee on the sidewalk and it hits them?
Yuck.
Dogs, need  trees and grass!
My Doberman was friendly but as a breed he was typical, Dobbies are a bit aloof and not overly friendly with strangers. Always on guard and watchful.
I know they sell ,"dog shoes" which is a good idea if they are being walked on hot pavement.
I had snow boots for my Doberman, he hated them think it's something they have to get used to at an early age.
I would never walk my dog in Budapest mid day in the heat on the sidewalks.
I still am not sure why people have dogs in the city.
Just having no place decent for them to sniff around is the least of it.
What about ,"back splash" when they pee on the sidewalk and it hits them?
Yuck.
Dogs, need  trees and grass!
My Doberman was friendly but as a breed he was typical, Dobbies are a bit aloof and not overly friendly with strangers. Always on guard and watchful.
- @Marilyn Tassy

We don't really walk our dog in the city so no dog shoes really required.  We're always in the forest.  Ticks are a problem - we had a cheap tick collar on and it was useless.  We bought a proper one and she hasn't had a tick since.   I was out walking yesterday and it was fine even if it was a little warm. 

The training I mentioned has a couple of other things related to it.   So the idea is that she can do a bit of search and rescue.  We're trying to teach her everyone's name.  So the idea is that we can say, go to that person or find that person and she will look for that person.   We could also get her to sniff say, my socks and then find me hiding under the bed.  Hide and seek with a person. It's not really going that well.  For fun, we're trying to get her to roll over but it seems just too difficult for her to get or more likely, she thinks it's pointless so why do it?!  She can roll over any time on her own, we see her doing it in the garden.  Not sure why she won't roll over for us - even with bribes.
In the heat I don't know how one can keep their dog cool.
My one cousin lives in humid Georgia and has now just 2 ofs her 3 dogs in agility trails.
I mean it's her and her husbands hobby that seems more important then their actual jobs.
UKI agility trails,Q Master jumps, BRAC trails, AKC trails, the list goes on and on,Premeir standard trails whatever that is...
She has an entire room full of metals, ribbons ect.
I was glad when my dog didn't dislocate my arm after 2 basic obedience classes. One class was 2 1/2 months long and the ther abut 6 weeks long.
I persoanlly never totally trusted him off lead with heavy traffic around but perhaps it was just my own fear of him running into the road.Those Cali drivers won't stop for nothing.
I'm pretty sure my cousin has a pool for her dogs, I mean she has an entire AKC standard agility station set up in her back yard.
I think she has gone off the,"deep end" with traveling all over and showing off her dogs.
I'm not sure there is any money to be made in that sport/hobby or not. Perhaps only if she bred the dogs out?
My dog couldn't roll over at all, the build of a Dobbie just won't allow fr it, their chests are too deep, at least my boys was.He tried but got stuck on his back, we had to roll him over,like a tank that turned over!
He could eat off of a fork without bitting it and hurting his teeth.
In the heat I don't know how one can keep their dog cool.
My one cousin lives in humid Georgia and has now just 2 ofs her 3 dogs in agility trails.
I mean it's her and her husbands hobby that seems more important then their actual jobs.
UKI agility trails,Q Master jumps, BRAC trails, AKC trails, the list goes on and on,Premeir standard trails whatever that is...
She has an entire room full of metals, ribbons ect.
I was glad when my dog didn't dislocate my arm after 2 basic obedience classes. One class was 2 1/2 months long and the ther abut 6 weeks long.
I persoanlly never totally trusted him off lead with heavy traffic around but perhaps it was just my own fear of him running into the road.Those Cali drivers won't stop for nothing.
I'm pretty sure my cousin has a pool for her dogs, I mean she has an entire AKC standard agility station set up in her back yard.
I think she has gone off the,"deep end" with traveling all over and showing off her dogs.
I'm not sure there is any money to be made in that sport/hobby or not. Perhaps only if she bred the dogs out?
My dog couldn't roll over at all, the build of a Dobbie just won't allow fr it, their chests are too deep, at least my boys was.He tried but got stuck on his back, we had to roll him over,like a tank that turned over!
He could eat off of a fork without bitting it and hurting his teeth.
- @Marilyn Tassy

That's some dog commitment going to all those shows.   I've seen dog trainers on the TV and from what I've seen some dogs can do these things and others just cannot.  There are dogs who can chase a balls all day but others (like ours) who will do it 3 or 4 times and then give up because they are distracted by something else.  In fact anything will distract them.   Those ones don't get to be sniffer dogs or guard dogs as they cannot pass the tests. 

We've got a brand new dog training place here in the village. It's like an industrial building.  We went to look thinking it was like casual dog grooming and sometimes obedience training or possibly a dog hotel.  But it's like a training ground for professional dog exhibitors for shows.  Amazed us to see dog trainers doing the obstacle courses without dogs who were all sitting next to the ring with another handler.   Clearly rehearsing for some big show.  Looked really weird, like we'd stumbled into some secret dog society. The secret part was there were no dogs participating at all!
Have you guys seen the weather forecast for this week? Up to 37°C  (Budapest) 1f912.svg since it's my first summertime in Hungary, I'm curious - are those "normal" summer temperatures here?
Have you guys seen the weather forecast for this week? Up to 37°C  (Budapest) 1f912.svg since it's my first summertime in Hungary, I'm curious - are those "normal" summer temperatures here?
- @Bian_ca6661

It's relatively normal to be low end 30s here.  37C is much warmer than usual but it's been over 40C once or twice since I've been here.  The government will be issuing warnings.

The humidity is quite low here so it doesn't feel that hot, especially with a breeze.   We use our window shutters, fans and airco (sometimes).

The sun though is very strong (UV scale 9 as I type).

It's hats and sunscreen, keeping in the shade and drinking lots of water when it's like that.  We do things outside at dusk and not in the blazing heat.

Obviously it's bad for kids and animals and they shouldn't be left in a car (if it's not obvious).

Make the most of it, because come November, it'll be absolutely freezing again.

@fluffy2560 I guess being born in October makes more winter person ...? 1f601.svg heat doesn't agree with me, I've experienced few heat strokes when younger. Thank God for air con. Are the thunderstorms severe after long period of heat?

@fluffy2560 I guess being born in October makes more winter person ...? 1f601.svg heat doesn't agree with me, I've experienced few heat strokes when younger. Thank God for air con. Are the thunderstorms severe after long period of heat?

- @Bian_ca6661

Yes, the thunderstorms are sometimes biblical with torrential rain.  We live on a slight hill and our street is like a river and the drains can hardly take it.  Weirdly, it all drains away really fast.  Some places here, we can see where rocks, stones, sticks are washed out into lower level streets.

There can be power outages and disturbances on the power lines. If there's one of these severe storms,  you should disconnect the TV from the power/antenna and unplug expensive equipment like laptops or computers.   We've lost things due to lightning strikes in the grid nearby to our house.  TV repair people get plenty of business during the summer.

I'm looking at my weather station now. It's 33C in the sun, slight breeze from SE, 1 m/s, UV 5 (mid-level), humidity 33%.   Sunset 20.35h, sunrise was 4.48h. Barometer is steady.  Some clouds in the sky.  No storms are coming right now.

p.s. Rumors are 40C at the weekend.  Epic.

@fluffy2560 thanks for the advice. Is my practice to disconnect everything during storms. My family loves to tease me for that. Looks like some  nice storm coming our way soon

@fluffy2560 thanks for the advice. Is my practice to disconnect everything during storms. My family loves to tease me for that. Looks like some  nice storm coming our way soon

- @Bian_ca6661

We had thunder and lightning with some rain just now (0800h approx).   Not so much rain, just  2mm.   The lightning was entertaining - I like a good thunderstorm with lots of crashing and banging.   But it looks very cloudy and dull now.  And no action.  Be really good for the garden though - needs to rain a bit more here.  Been too dry for weeks.
We had a little rain last night, other areas had some bad weather.

https://image.kurier.at/images/cfs_landscape_1864w_1049h/7014238/46-188742311.jpg

Arable crops, apples and grassland were massively damaged over an area of ​​around 16,000 hectares.
We had a little rain last night, other areas had some bad weather.

46-188742311.jpg

Arable crops, apples and grassland were massively damaged over an area of ​​around 16,000 hectares.
- @SimCityAT

We had reports a day ago of similar damage in the East of Hungary.   

Golf ball sized damaged houses and vehicles as well. 

At the moment, the temperature is rising and it looks brighter so we might get some sunshine to dry everything out.   

That'll be good as I was thinking of walking the pooch meister.
Weather warning I received:

"As of 29 June 2022 weather warnings have been issued nationwide due to an ongoing heat wave. Red Warnings – the highest on a four-part scale – are in effect for Bekes and Csongrad-Csanad counties, and additional warnings are anticipated in counties throughout central and eastern Hungary through 1 July."
We have heat warnings, 36°C and thunderstorms, yesterday and today some parts mainly the south got really hit hard. Mudslides and the works.

Some towns are still cut off, there are 100 army personnel working with helicopters evacuating people, already one death and several missing.
We have heat warnings, 36°C and thunderstorms, yesterday and today some parts mainly the south got really hit hard. Mudslides and the works.

Some towns are still cut off, there are 100 army personnel working with helicopters evacuating people, already one death and several missing.
- @SimCityAT

Maybe the mudslides were caused by glacial meltwater or snow melting?  Perhaps global warming is causing it?

- @SimCityAT

Maybe the mudslides were caused by glacial meltwater or snow meltinh?  Perhaps global warming is causing it?
- @fluffy2560
180 litres of rain fell in 24 hours

- @SimCityAT

Maybe the mudslides were caused by glacial meltwater or snow meltinh?  Perhaps global warming is causing it?
- @fluffy2560
180 litres of rain fell in 24 hours
- @SimCityAT

Biblical!

I saw it made the BBC news (here).
Heavy rain, 5.5mm, only 19 C outside at 13h.  Big change from days before.  Should warm up in the PM.
Not bad yesterday, bit of rain, nice cool air all night. Today 29° but windy. It's a nice change though
Not bad yesterday, bit of rain, nice cool air all night. Today 29° but windy. It's a nice change though
- @Bian_ca6661

The breeze is nice and cooling.  I was walking in the forest today and I saw some trees are already losing their leaves.  It seems like we only just started summer.

@fluffy2560 true that, I've noticed the same few days ago. The leaves are either turning yellow or already falling. More rain might be beneficial, for grass as well

@fluffy2560 true that, I've noticed the same few days ago. The leaves are either turning yellow or already falling. More rain might be beneficial, for grass as well

- @Bian_ca6661

I'm not sure it's just the type of trees or something more fundamental in a shift in the seasons.   The leaves were piled up like it was a bit of Autumn.

I have also noticed it's suddenly a lot cooler at night.

At least here - in Hungary - we can stretch out summer until mid- to late October.

At least it's sunny today with very blue skies.  Couldn't ask for more really.

@fluffy2560 I must admit that I enjoy the cooler weather much more than the heatwave last week. Driving a car was almost as driving a microwave on wheels. It's an ideal weather for me now, fairly warm and beautifully sunny 1f31e.svg

@fluffy2560 I must admit that I enjoy the cooler weather much more than the heatwave last week. Driving a car was almost as driving a microwave on wheels. It's an ideal weather for me now, fairly warm and beautifully sunny 1f31e.svg

- @Bian_ca6661
I agree with that. It's much nicer driving around with the windows down rather than being in a mobile fridge or sauna.   

We should be grateful to have airco.  It's literally a lifesaver.  When it's quite nice, not too hot like today, we have the windows open and ceiling fans going. 

Makes it very pleasant to be in Hungary.

@fluffy2560 aircon is a lifesaver indeed. I couldn't imagine life on hot days without it. On a days like today I keep the windows and front door open (yard facing door), it makes nice fresh air indoors

@fluffy2560 aircon is a lifesaver indeed. I couldn't imagine life on hot days without it. On a days like today I keep the windows and front door open (yard facing door), it makes nice fresh air indoors

- @Bian_ca6661

Nice through breeze has to be good.

The wind though is a bit of a false friend.   The UV exposure rating today is high.  So even if it feels cooler, the sun is still capable of burning.  My weather station says a high of almost 7 today.  A 9 is extreme and a cloudy day would be about 3.  I've been outside most of today working and I can feel my arms have been "exposed".  Some days I think I can feel the photons hitting my skin.

I'm very cautious about UV - can cause skin cancer and will destroy some plastics but not break it down enough to avoid pollution.  Sunbathing is a very dangerous thing to do.

https://scontent.fvie1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/294437508_10159772148002279_4873703247297105687_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5cd70e&_nc_ohc=tRRrJRCQmvIAX9JIvM5&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=00_AT9YCMvfNiuhQsyFGqo5VPWlLl2pijXU9zaKw6p3icWf1A&oe=62DB0B9D

294437508_10159772148002279_487370324729

- @SimCityAT

Brutal. 

We're down in Balaton for a week and it's just stifling today. Mrs F and the Fluffyettes have gone swimming in the lake but I'm hiding in the shade. It's just unbearable. Got the shutters down and sitting in the dark.  I was sitting in the garden under a sunshade  but it's just awfully hot and I had to come in. I was in the lake for 2h yesterday and I got a bit sunburnt even with SPF 50 on - burnt on the forgotten places!  I'm waiting until it's under 30 C before I expose myself again.

My MIL as usual has come dressed for the Artic - might be dementia related.   She needs to get stripped down and given a hosing down.