Today's Weather

Currently 37C in the Netherlands; NL Government has just issued another weather warning; it's actually warmer in our village back in the UK, that said, I'm about ready to go home, had enough of Holland this time round.

@fluffy2560 looks like you're gonna spend few days indoors if the weather forecast is anywhere close to the one we got here in Budapest, 39°C for tomorrow. The grass is like hay. We got a fire here 2 days ago, I don't know what caused it though, but the dry grass burned really fast

Only 30C today in the Netherlands; storm clouds are massing in the west, so we'll probably be bemoaning the rain tomorrow.

@fluffy2560 looks like you're gonna spend few days indoors if the weather forecast is anywhere close to the one we got here in Budapest, 39°C for tomorrow. The grass is like hay. We got a fire here 2 days ago, I don't know what caused it though, but the dry grass burned really fast

- @Bian_ca6661

It's just too hot at Balaton. I'm not going outside until after 16 or 17h. Even in the shade it's terrible. No air is moving. And the risk of sunstroke when in the lake is too high to take the chance.  I'll put the fan on and watch some movie.
Only 30C today in the Netherlands; storm clouds are massing in the west, so we'll probably be bemoaning the rain tomorrow.
- @Cynic

We need some rain for the plants. I expect we're building up to massive storms soon.  It'll be monsoon levels and it'll just run off in flash rivers inside the villages and towns.  None of it seems to soak in enough.

@fluffy2560 that sounds like a good plan. No point in taking any risks in this weather. I went outside for a couple of minutes and it felt like stepping into hot cotton wool

@fluffy2560
We're staying in a gated community - high-quality housing, built about 20 years ago.  I think most of them are Airbnb lets; there are a lot of Eastern Europeans here at the moment, the temperature has now begun to drop (31C), and storm clouds have just passed over Apeldoorn heading eastwards to the NL/D border, so should be here in an hour (thank goodness).
Hungary: High heat warnings issued nationwide
22 Jul 22

Weather warnings have been issued nationwide from 22-23 July 2022 due to an ongoing heat wave. Red Warnings – the highest on a four-part scale – have been issued for counties throughout central and southeastern Hungary. Less severe warnings have also been issued for other counties nationwide.

Received the above this morning. 

Here in Balaton, just west of Siofok, it's about 35-36C.  The UV is brutal. I'm hiding in a darkened room with a fan on full power.   There's a forecast showing a brief shower on Sunday AM but it'll make no difference.  This looks set to continue into next week. Luckily we'll go home on Sunday and there, we've got airco. Phew! Scorchio!

I'm thinking torrential rain when it breaks and probably some flooding.
@fluffy2560 Airco is/can be great and now we have ourselves, being in Hungary we did not. Can be warm/hot, but we did have an ice machine and spreading the cubes  on the floor helps as well (apart from a big isolated house). Living in Turkey in summer can be hot and indeed in (us living in apartment) airco could be considered to be a blessing (even if i am not 100% convinced, but we use it nonetheless)

The chief medical officer has extended the current heat alert until midnight on Tuesday. The alert was originally issued from Wednesday until Saturday midnight.
The heat is forecast to intensify until
Tuesday, topping 40°  in places.
Then, a cold front is expected to sweep the country from the north-west, bringing highs down to between 30-38° Celsius generally, and between
27-29° Celsius in the west.
The chief medical officer has extended the current heat alert until midnight on Tuesday. The alert was originally issued from Wednesday until Saturday midnight.
The heat is forecast to intensify until
Tuesday, topping 40°  in places.
Then, a cold front is expected to sweep the country from the north-west, bringing highs down to between 30-38° Celsius generally, and between
27-29° Celsius in the west.
- @Bian_ca6661

Amazing to think of  30-38 C as  a low! 

Down here at Balaton, the heat continues and it's like being on the BBQ.  The beaches are packed and the ice cream shops and cafes/pubs are very busy.   Locals really need this business after the COVID disaster.

I think it'll be a relief to get home.  The dog looks unhappy too and spends her time hiding in the shade. I feel the same.
It was 30°C at 9am this morning and a low of 25°C  in the night
- @SimCityAT

I was outside laying on a hammock at about 0530h and it was on the edge of chilly.   
- @SimCityAT

I was outside laying on a hammock at about 0530h and it was on the edge of chilly.   
- @fluffy2560

I was  contemplating on cutting the lawn at 6 am but I am not meant  as I am currently on the sick and knowing my neighbours they would report me.
@fluffy2560 Airco is/can be great and now we have ourselves, being in Hungary we did not. Can be warm/hot, but we did have an ice machine and spreading the cubes  on the floor helps as well (apart from a big isolated house). Living in Turkey in summer can be hot and indeed in (us living in apartment) airco could be considered to be a blessing (even if i am not 100% convinced, but we use it nonetheless)

- @cdw057

In Turkey, I'd have thought airco was almost a  human right.

Not sure about putting ice cubes on the floor - bit hazardous.

Lay on a wet towel and put the fan on you.   Or cover yourself in alcohol based hand sanitiser and stand in front of the fan.  Definitely cool you down.
- @SimCityAT

- @fluffy2560

I was  contemplating on cutting the lawn at 6 am but I am not meant  as I am currently on the sick and knowing my neighbours they would report me.
- @SimCityAT
Would they also report you just for the grass cutting?

In Switzerland, they don't like toilet flushing during the night in apartment buildings. Austrians are definitely interested in what their neighbours are doing.  So many twitchy curtains.   But I also saw lots of Turkish people working on their houses on a Sunday and at weekends.

One weird thing emerging in Hungary is people self-policing and self-censoring their activities on a Sunday.  I wanted to drill holes in my shed and Mrs F was nervous that the neighbours would complain about my use of noisy machinery albeit for short periods.  I think noisy extends to lawnmowers on a Sunday.  In the end I put my shed work off until a weekday.
- @SimCityAT

- @fluffy2560

- @SimCityAT
Would they also report you just for the grass cutting?

In Switzerland, they don't like toilet flushing during the night in apartment buildings. Austrians are definitely interested in what their neighbours are doing.  So many twitchy curtains.   But I also saw lots of Turkish people working on their houses on a Sunday and at weekends.

One weird thing emerging in Hungary is people self-policing and self-censoring their activities on a Sunday.  I wanted to drill holes in my shed and Mrs F was nervous that the neighbours would complain about my use of noisy machinery albeit for short periods.  I think noisy extends to lawnmowers on a Sunday.  In the end I put my shed work off until a weekday.
- @fluffy2560

Its something that they would do, well their Son would. They are Turkish. I would have no issues with my Austrian Neighbours, I get on with them and often have a beer or glass of wine with them roughly the same age as me and both doctors (very handy).  My other Austrian neighbours never see them.
Its something that they would do, well their Son would. They are Turkish. I would have no issues with my Austrian Neighbours, I get on with them and often have a beer or glass of wine with them roughly the same age as me and both doctors (very handy).  My other Austrian neighbours never see them. - @SimCityAT

Here, we don't have Turkish people in such numbers but generally people usually do whatever they want on a Sunday, including mowing the grass.  People might mutter about it under their breath.

But I have noticed there's some self-policing going on.  It's because the religious right is becoming over-represented politically.  There's a kind of fear of conflict with these people even if it means limiting one's own rights.  Must have been like that in communism.  Don't rock the boat etc.

However, locally, some group built a new church but I've never seen anyone going in or out,  standing next to it or parking to visit it.  I believe it was built with government money although it has some English writing/names on it - presumably from a donor.   There are older churches and I hear the bells going but it's at these older churches.   One of these older churches is next to a place I take the pooch walkies. It's a right pain as you cannot get a car parking space on a Sunday. 

Amazing to think of  30-38 C as  a low!

Right! I thought the same. It's lame even as a joke
Its something that they would do, well their Son would. They are Turkish. I would have no issues with my Austrian Neighbours, I get on with them and often have a beer or glass of wine with them roughly the same age as me and both doctors (very handy).  My other Austrian neighbours never see them. - @SimCityAT

Here, we don't have Turkish people in such numbers but generally people usually do whatever they want on a Sunday, including mowing the grass.  People might mutter about it under their breath.

But I have noticed there's some self-policing going on.  It's because the religious right is becoming over-represented politically.  There's a kind of fear of conflict with these people even if it means limiting one's rights.  Must have been like that in communism.  Don't rock the boat etc.

However, locally, some group built a new church but I've never seen anyone going in or out,  standing next to it or parking to visit it.  I believe it was built with government money although it has some English writing/names on it - presumably from a donor.   There are older churches and I hear the bells going but it's at the older churches.   One of these older churches is next to a place I take the pooch walkies. It's a right pain as you cannot get a car parking space on a Sunday. 
- @fluffy2560

Our town is about the only town in the area that doesn't have any restrictions, if I want to I could cut the grass at 2am. No one would be able to do anything and the Police would be powerless. But I would not be best liked by anyone.
Our town is about the only town in the area that doesn't have any restrictions, if I want to I could cut the grass at 2am. No one would be able to do anything and the Police would be powerless. But I would not be best liked by anyone. - @SimCityAT

2am gardening in this heat might be the new norm.

But this is self-policing.   But could you say, do some car repairs on a Sunday afternoon?  Using power tools?
Our town is about the only town in the area that doesn't have any restrictions, if I want to I could cut the grass at 2am. No one would be able to do anything and the Police would be powerless. But I would not be best liked by anyone. - @SimCityAT

2am gardening in this heat might be the new norm.

But this is self-policing.   But could you say, do some car repairs on a Sunday afternoon?  Using power tools?
- @fluffy2560

Yep, (Kottingbrunn) have no restrictions at all. https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/themen/ba … 50490.html
Our town is about the only town in the area that doesn't have any restrictions, if I want to I could cut the grass at 2am. No one would be able to do anything and the Police would be powerless. But I would not be best liked by anyone. - @SimCityAT but this is self-policing.   But could you say, do some car repairs on a Sunday afternoon?  Using power tools?
- @fluffy2560

Yep, (Kottingbrunn) have no restrictions at all. https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/themen/ba … 50490.html
- @SimCityAT

Ah, Kottingbrunn. I know it.    I wonder if we have this kind of table of restrictions for my area.  I shall have to ask Mrs F to do some research.  She can add it to the list of 1000 things to do. 1001 now.

Be useful if they did have this kind of table.  My village is a "German village" but has hardly any information in German - web site has stuff in German.   We have  things like Rathaus on the town hall and German kindergarten etc.  But not much else can be done in German.
Seems like nice storm coming our way. I wouldn't mind raining til morning.
Btw, our neighbors love to mow grass especially on Sundays
We had 10 mins of rain but didn't do much, was hoping it would clear the air. The temperature will drop next week so that's something.
We had 10 mins of rain but didn't do much, was hoping it would clear the air. The temperature will drop next week so that's something.
- @SimCityAT

We had rain for a minute or two, then very high winds. Caused waves on the lake. Then it fizzled out and calmed down. I reckon its around 30C now, down a few degrees. Much fresher than earlier on but still not cold.
Seems like nice storm coming our way. I wouldn't mind raining til morning.
Btw, our neighbors love to mow grass especially on Sundays
- @Bian_ca6661
I hope it drops back to about 25 C so I can go cycling in my usual lake routes. Too hot for real biking like the Tour de France. And definitely too hot for mowing our dead grass.
We had solid 30 minutes of... dripping rather than raining. Air is heavier than before even though the temperature dropped to 26°, no refreshment that I hoped for
We had solid 30 minutes of... dripping rather than raining. Air is heavier than before even though the temperature dropped to 26°, no refreshment that I hoped for
- @Bian_ca6661

Very stormy last night at Balaton complete with thunder, lightning, high winds and rain. 

And today, it's humid sauna, very hot in the sun, sweaty and almost no breeze.

I'm going to the UK soon, so it'll be interesting to experience some coolness again.
Just arrived back in the UK this morning; currently 21C and overcast, we just had a rain shower; gentle wind from the SW, just nice.  The garden has survived the heat holocaust, so brownie points to my wife who planned it all when we moved here 25 years ago - still work in progress.  Looks like more of the same next week; schools are now on holiday, so our street will be really quiet until September.
30°C here today with no breeze, tomorrow it will go up to 34°C. Tuesday will be cooler at 26°C with showers. But then it will be in the 30°C's again.
Just arrived back in the UK this morning; currently 21C and overcast, we just had a rain shower; gentle wind from the SW, just nice.  The garden has survived the heat holocaust, so brownie points to my wife who planned it all when we moved here 25 years ago - still work in progress.  Looks like more of the same next week; schools are now on holiday, so our street will be really quiet until September.
- @Cynic

Come back by car via Dover or other ferry?  Airport? How were the queues?
30°C here today with no breeze, tomorrow it will go up to 34°C. Tuesday will be cooler at 26°C with showers. But then it will be in the 30°C's again.
- @SimCityAT

TBH, I'm looking forward to getting back home and some airco and just being able to get some outstanding stuff done  prior to my UK trip.

It's becoming uncomfortably hot down here by the lake. It's warm in the water but the air is hardly moving and it's well past 31 C.
- @Cynic

- @fluffy2560

We went Hull > Europort; not the cheapest crossing, but the fuel-saving (Hull 50 miles, Dover 275 miles); then on the other side to Enschede (Europort 230 km, Calais 465 km).  Back in the days when I had a company car and fully funded fuel card, I used to use the Harwich > Hoek van Holland route (a much nicer boat) and stop at the Premier Inn in Harwich (company discount) as a break.  But pensioner means a much smaller car, no fuel card etc, so the cheapest crossing by far (especially these days with the cost of fuel), Hull is the cheapest.  I've used the Chunnel a few times in the past, but then we were heading south to Italy, it's OK if you like sitting in your car for a long time, wouldn't do it in our current car - primarily because of fuel cost.

Queues - none; Holland is nothing like France where, to be frank, they are taking the piss and using any excuse to fuck around the Brits.  The Dutch also have to stamp passports and do the same Customs check as the French, they take nothing like the time the French take.  Talking to a family friend who is a Marechaussee Officer (Dutch Military Police do the Border controls in Holland); he tells me that the national police forces across the EU are getting extremely fed up with the French as their actions are also affecting their citizens and truck drivers, causing Drivers Hours and Working Time Directive issues with trucks having to stop in places where there are no facilities for them.

We had our dog with us which as a bonus gives you priority boarding, so you get on and off just after those who have actually paid for it and they have dog-friendly cabins, so we had Boris with us on the outbound trip, but they are first come first served and he had to go in a kennel on the way back, but he's a cool dog and doesn't make a fuss unless you're a Pidgeon, or wearing hi-viz clothing.  Wife wasn't impressed with the dog-friendly cabin (no TV and very basic), but I was quite happy just sitting there playing with the dog.
- @Cynic

- @fluffy2560

We went Hull > Europort; not the cheapest crossing, but the fuel-saving (Hull 50 miles, Dover 275 miles); then on the other side to Enschede (Europort 230 km, Calais 465 km).  Back in the days when I had a company car and fully funded fuel card, I used to use the Harwich > Hoek van Holland route (a much nicer boat) and stop at the Premier Inn in Harwich (company discount) as a break.  But pensioner means a much smaller car, no fuel card etc, so the cheapest crossing by far (especially these days with the cost of fuel), Hull is the cheapest.  I've used the Chunnel a few times in the past, but then we were heading south to Italy, it's OK if you like sitting in your car for a long time, wouldn't do it in our current car - primarily because of fuel cost.

Queues - none; Holland is nothing like France where, to be frank, they are taking the piss and using any excuse to fuck around the Brits.  The Dutch also have to stamp passports and do the same Customs check as the French, they take nothing like the time the French take.  Talking to a family friend who is a Marechaussee Officer (Dutch Military Police do the Border controls in Holland); he tells me that the national police forces across the EU are getting extremely fed up with the French as their actions are also affecting their citizens and truck drivers, causing Drivers Hours and Working Time Directive issues with trucks having to stop in places where there are no facilities for them.

We had our dog with us which as a bonus gives you priority boarding, so you get on and off just after those who have actually paid for it and they have dog-friendly cabins, so we had Boris with us on the outbound trip, but they are first come first served and he had to go in a kennel on the way back, but he's a cool dog and doesn't make a fuss unless you're a Pidgeon, or wearing hi-viz clothing.  Wife wasn't impressed with the dog-friendly cabin (no TV and very basic), but I was quite happy just sitting there playing with the dog.
- @Cynic
I've been on the ferry to Hull a few times.   Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, we went from Amsterdam  to Newcastle.  It was a bit of an adventure for the kids and we went that way as we could sleep on the ferry and avoid that awful drive North from Dover. We went to Center Parcs near Carlisle.   It was OK on the ferry but staying in NL was horribly expensive. Love NL but wouldn't do that again simply due to the crazy high pricing for the 4 of us (dog was at the dog hotel).

I notice the queuing issue at Dover is now headline news.  All of these checks are pointless for the vast majority of people who are travelling for holidays.  Unsurprising they are now warning it's going to be all summer.    That's what people voted for. 

BTW, if you get a new dog now you'll have to call it Liz/Lizzie. Everyone will be thinking, it's short for Elizabeth.  In this case, I was thinking Lizard.
Oh dear revised temperature, its going to 37°C today!
Oh dear revised temperature, its going to 37°C today!
- @SimCityAT

We're forecast heavy rain tomorrow afternoon which will dampen it down a bit to only 30 C.    We're back home from Balaton and now we've got proper shutters, fans and airco again.   It's quite a relief in some ways!
- @Cynic

- @fluffy2560

- @Cynic
I've been on the ferry to Hull a few times.   Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, we went from Amsterdam  to Newcastle.  It was a bit of an adventure for the kids and we went that way as we could sleep on the ferry and avoid that awful drive North from Dover. We went to Center Parcs near Carlisle.   It was OK on the ferry but staying in NL was horribly expensive. Love NL but wouldn't do that again simply due to the crazy high pricing for the 4 of us (dog was at the dog hotel).

I notice the queuing issue at Dover is now headline news.  All of these checks are pointless for the vast majority of people who are travelling for holidays.  Unsurprising they are now warning it's going to be all summer.    That's what people voted for. 

BTW, if you get a new dog now you'll have to call it Liz/Lizzie. Everyone will be thinking, it's short for Elizabeth.  In this case, I'm sorry to say it's short for Lizard.
- @fluffy2560

Queues at Dover have now miraculously all gone.  BBC and Sky were both searching for queues this morning but were disappointed.  I spoke to a former colleague on Eurostar; the story goes that some  "protestors" somehow got into the tunnel.  That morning the French were due to provide 16 border officials, but half then got sent to find these protestors who somehow all managed to evade capture, the result was a 50% reduction in capacity to check and stamp passports and it went downhill from there.  So, if Dover suits your ultimate destination, then why not, it is still too far for me.
Shower rain in Budapest atm. Thank God, it was very much needed. Bit of thunder
- @Cynic

- @fluffy2560

- @Cynic

BTW, if you get a new dog now you'll have to call it Liz/Lizzie. Everyone will be thinking, it's short for Elizabeth.  In this case, I'm sorry to say it's short for Lizard.
- @fluffy2560

Queues at Dover have now miraculously all gone.  BBC and Sky were both searching for queues this morning but were disappointed.  I spoke to a former colleague on Eurostar; the story goes that some  "protestors" somehow got into the tunnel.  That morning the French were due to provide 16 border officials, but half then got sent to find these protestors who somehow all managed to evade capture, the result was a 50% reduction in capacity to check and stamp passports and it went downhill from there.  So, if Dover suits your ultimate destination, then why not, it is still too far for me.
- @Cynic

I'm from the South East so Dover is local to us.   It used to be good because you could turn up and there were so many ferries every hour, you could easily get on and wouldn't have to wait so long for the next one.  COVID and Brexit haven't helped with accessibility and the Nazi passport checks are way OTT.

I don't believe that about the protesters in the tunnel.  I reckon the French  couldn't field enough personnel because of indifference or some collective anti-Brexit huff.

There is no way they don't have emergency resources on hand for mass migration or protest events that they could use at any time. Same for the UK.  These are strategic assets guarded by BTP (British Transport Police) , Kent Police and their French equivalents.  The passport stampers aren't tactical types but paper pushers despite the uniform. It would be laughable if 8 guards that was all that was between a tunnel invasion and protesters.