Today's Weather

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

My last laptop keyboard had a backlight for illuminated keys - was very useful. I spilt coffee on that keyboard and the replacement didn't have the backlight function.  It's really very useful to have it but then again, I can mostly type without looking at the keys.

I am not too bad, but occasionally I will revert back to the UK keyboard layout which is quite surprising as I haven't had a UK computer since I moved over.

I also type without always loking at the keys, no wonder my spelling is such a mess.
My O key has fallen off my keyboard so now I have to hit it hard to make it work.
Sometimes my fingers just don't punch it hard enough so no O's.
Still need my new glasses too, taking forever and a day to get a script for them.
My screen also has a connection issue so if I close the lid it will go go dark. I have a blue screen now with no color.
My husband bought me a new HU laptop but he is using it most of the time, nice buy it fr me in name only!
I'm to lazy though to figure out the keys on that thing so just as well.
Noticed the prices on even used laptops have gne through the roof in the past year or so here.
Yes, it's looking like rain all week lng.

Sounds like cable in the hinges is defective.  If you get a funny screen, just press firmly but not aggressively on one or both of the hinges. Might be enough to bring it back temporarily but probably should be replaced.  If it's modern enough, you can connect it to your flat screen TV using an HDMI cable. Then you can have the screen much larger and bigger fonts.  Maybe use a "0" (zero) instead of an "O" (oh).

Prices might have gone up because of so many people doing home working.  I usually buy secondhand laptops and then upgrade them by taking most of my existing parts out of the old one.  If one gets an second hand officially refurbished machine it might come with the latest Pro Windows and MS Office,

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

My last laptop keyboard had a backlight for illuminated keys - was very useful. I spilt coffee on that keyboard and the replacement didn't have the backlight function.  It's really very useful to have it but then again, I can mostly type without looking at the keys.

I am not too bad, but occasionally I will revert back to the UK keyboard layout which is quite surprising as I haven't had a UK computer since I moved over.

I also type without always loking at the keys, no wonder my spelling is such a mess.
My O key has fallen off my keyboard so now I have to hit it hard to make it work.
Sometimes my fingers just don't punch it hard enough so no O's.
Still need my new glasses too, taking forever and a day to get a script for them.
My screen also has a connection issue so if I close the lid it will go go dark. I have a blue screen now with no color.
My husband bought me a new HU laptop but he is using it most of the time, nice buy it fr me in name only!
I'm to lazy though to figure out the keys on that thing so just as well.
Noticed the prices on even used laptops have gne through the roof in the past year or so here.
Yes, it's looking like rain all week lng.

Sounds like cable in the hinges is defective.  If you get a funny screen, just press firmly but not aggressively on one or both of the hinges. Might be enough to bring it back temporarily but probably the cable should be replaced.  If it's modern enough, you can connect it to your flat screen TV using an HDMI cable. Then you can have the screen much larger and bigger fonts.  Maybe use a "0" (zero) instead of an "O" (oh).

Prices might have gone up because of so many people doing home working.  I usually buy secondhand laptops and then upgrade them by taking most of my existing parts out of the old one.  If one gets an second hand officially refurbished machine it might come with the latest Pro Windows and MS Office,

My cousin in the US brought this over for me 7 years back.
I'm surprised it still works because it was a cheap one from Office Depot in the US.
I was going to purchase another one last time in Vegas but time got away from us.
We have 3 dead machines at the moment. One I use for watching U tube was given to us frm our HU neighbor, she hit it hard and it blanked out on her.
My husband played with it and ordered a new hard drive for $40. and installed it. Now it works pretty good although it has to be plugged in as the battery will not hold a charge.
It's all good for now, I just mess around with this to write letters and such.
I would of picked one up this year in Vegas even though our boy isn't living there now. Dang C-19 put a stop to that visit.
We wanted to clear out our storage units and feel free from paying every month for junk that is slowing getting dusty and old.My boy had a brand new tv set so we stored that, it will probably be outdated by the next time we ever plug it in to use. We we followed our own advice and got rid of everything in storeage last visit. We even have 2 fairly new laptops in storeage, just too heavy to bring in our carry on bag. If I wasn't paying for 2 storeage units in the US, I'd have the latest and greatest computer here and it would cost less then a years storeage payments. So mad at ourselves for not cleaning it out all the way last visit.
My husband was going to order a new screen for this old laptop but they seem to cost more then the machine did brand new.
Think it is going to pour this evening .

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My cousin in the US brought this over for me 7 years back.
I'm surprised it still works because it was a cheap one from Office Depot in the US.
I was going to purchase another one last time in Vegas but time got away from us.
We have 3 dead machines at the moment. One I use for watching U tube was given to us frm our HU neighbor, she hit it hard and it blanked out on her.
My husband played with it and ordered a new hard drive for $40. and installed it. Now it works pretty good although it has to be plugged in as the battery will not hold a charge.
It's all good for now, I just mess around with this to write letters and such.
I would of picked one up this year in Vegas even though our boy isn't living there now. Dang C-19 put a stop to that visit.
We wanted to clear out our storage units and feel free from paying every month for junk that is slowing getting dusty and old.My boy had a brand new tv set so we stored that, it will probably be outdated by the next time we ever plug it in to use. We we followed our own advice and got rid of everything in storeage last visit. We even have 2 fairly new laptops in storeage, just too heavy to bring in our carry on bag. If I wasn't paying for 2 storeage units in the US, I'd have the latest and greatest computer here and it would cost less then a years storeage payments. So mad at ourselves for not cleaning it out all the way last visit.
My husband was going to order a new screen for this old laptop but they seem to cost more then the machine did brand new.
Think it is going to pour this evening .

Laptops don't have much of a lifespan. Mine always get bashed up as I use it all the time and I travel (or used to) quite a lot. I'm always looking for second hand machines 1-2 years old where I can get an extended warranty.  By that time they are 2 years old, they are only worth retail 1/3 of the original price.  Main thing I do is to make sure it's high end spec on the processor and video as these cannot be changed easily.  Things like drives and memory are easy to install.    Anyone can do it and they are really cheap now.   I've got about 7 laptops stacked up in the cellar.  I'm going to send them for recycling (I take out the disks and anything useful in them like memory).  Recycling is a serious problem here.  We've got 3 broken dishwashers stored for some reason.  We need to get rid of them.

Restrictions on travel will loosen up soon so would be worth going back to collect anything usable. We had stuff in storage for about 8 years. In the end we moved it into an old house owned by Mrs Fluffy's family.  And it's been there ever since - perhaps 12 years in total.  It wasn't worth paying the 8 years of storage.  We should have been brutal and dumped everything but the essentials.  We have boxes of old clothes which should go for recycling.   Mrs F took some to the kids' school as they were having some sort of market for raising funds.   But there's just so much stuff here.  Kids toys really need to go - we have boxes and boxes of them.  They are a fire hazard.

You might be able to get a spare battery on Ebay.  I got an "extended" one for my laptop and it works really well. Much better than the original.

Seems the weather man fooled us all again.
No rain in the forecast until Monday.
We purchased just those easy chrome books type laptops,  nothing fancy.
I glad this thing is still working after 7 years but any day now...
We don't use these for work or anything major important.
My sister buys the top of the line with everything, no wonder she is broke.
She has such a high end computer that she can't even use most of what it offers her.
Her ex- does computer repairs as a side line job and he talked her into buying the best.
She freaks out about how low end our things are.
She's into stuff like computers and me, into fancy clothing.
Not so much any longer, have no room left here to even buy another pair of socks!
I know we probably never can dump everything out of storeage.
We have huge boxes of industrial strength nuts and bolts, boxes of heavy duty screws, cables, wires, crazy stuff but if you needed to purchase post the zombie apocalypse they would be hard to find. Even now one of those screws cost over a buck each, don't buy gold, buy screws? Might be good for bartering later on?
Just joking, to me it is just a huge mess of junk.
I do have a nuclear submarine spare  valve part and a few train parts and one for a space shuttle. Maybe someone on e-bay needs them? Doubt it!
Have boxes and boxes of Lego's and some toys from the 1960's and 11 boxes of video games.  I never saved my son's first pair of shoes but I do have some of his baby clothing.Help, I will need to hire an army to clear all that out.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Seems the weather man fooled us all again.
No rain in the forecast until Monday.
We purchased just those easy chrome books type laptops,  nothing fancy.
I glad this thing is still working after 7 years but any day now...
We don't use these for work or anything major important.
My sister buys the top of the line with everything, no wonder she is broke.
She has such a high end computer that she can't even use most of what it offers her.
Her ex- does computer repairs as a side line job and he talked her into buying the best.
She freaks out about how low end our things are.
She's into stuff like computers and me, into fancy clothing.
Not so much any longer, have no room left here to even buy another pair of socks!
I know we probably never can dump everything out of storeage.
We have huge boxes of industrial strength nuts and bolts, boxes of heavy duty screws, cables, wires, crazy stuff but if you needed to purchase post the zombie apocalypse they would be hard to find. Even now one of those screws cost over a buck each, don't buy gold, buy screws? Might be good for bartering later on?
Just joking, to me it is just a huge mess of junk.
I do have a nuclear submarine spare  valve part and a few train parts and one for a space shuttle. Maybe someone on e-bay needs them? Doubt it!
Have boxes and boxes of Lego's and some toys from the 1960's and 11 boxes of video games.  I never saved my son's first pair of shoes but I do have some of his baby clothing.Help, I will need to hire an army to clear all that out.

Weather looks good today.  Nice and sunny, not too warm at 19 C and a good breeze.  Bit of a relief and the dog would like a walk I expect. 

Only excitement today is that it's rubbish day - plastic/paper/metal and common.  Rubbish man always wants us to give him palinka.  I was unlucky enough to be standing at the window and he was waving me over.  I cannot believe how cheeky that guy is - always wants a free shot.  Mrs F has given him palinka before but if I found out his was drinking on the job, I'd be concerned for his and others safety.  I just shrugged and ran away.  My neighbours must sit in their houses on the starting blocks for when the trash has gone because they are all out in 30 seconds to bring their bins in.   

I reckon that space shuttle valve could be worth a bundle.  You never know what people want to collect.

If someone gave me a space shuttle valve, I'd be happy to receive it and put it on a stand to look at if it was nicely cleaned up for display.

Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk etc would  surely want that on their desks - especially if is something industrial that looks good and could be displayed.    They aren't making any more of them - space shuttles or space shuttle valves. 

Don't know about the nuclear submarine valve - that might be top secret - but if it looks good then perhaps again, might be good to display.   Train parts should shift easily as millions of people like that stuff,  Real nerd stuff.

You know those industrial strength screws would be worth something. I tried to buy high strength automotive bolts and nuts here and it's very hard to find stuff like that.  Most bolts etc from say Obi are just not strong enough.  I cannot believe how difficult it is to buy super strength bolts here.  We had to trek to some place on the other side of Budapest to a special nut and bolt bolt (see what I did there?).   It wasn't that successful although I now have a small bag of super strong bolts - I really need a selection box of different sizes. I've got one for medium strength and stainless steel ones.

Secondhand lego will be easy to sell if it's "sets" like the Millennium Falcon or Death Star or something and particularly if they are in original boxes.

It's not worth buying the latest PC.  They depreciate so fast, it'll be worth half the amount in a year. Friend of mine bought a sooper dooper one for about $4K  couple of years back and it's already way out of date.  Mine cost $500  3 years ago and the last upgrade cost me about $200.

Very nice here in Balaton. Water is at least mid-20s, probably higher.   

Sunny and warm, 30 C walking around. 

Some black clouds forming up to the south but might blow away.

Downside is that the Internet atrocious - speeds dire and just not working.

fluffy2560 wrote:

We went to Lupa Lake the other day.
I love to swim there, no lanes just open space to mess around in.
It was a toss up between going to Balaton or Lupa.
Lupa is closer but not free but that's OK, it's clean there and relaxing.
Only about a 30 min. drive over vs 90 mins. to Balaton.
Will have too make the trip to Balaton soon though before the season is over.
Have it all space shuttle parts and nuclear sub valves and odds and ends.
All super clean and super shiny, some "space age" materials were used so they are super strong.
All sorts of fancy machine work done on them.
My husband kept them for any job interviews he may ever need.
Talk is cheap but showing his work always got him hired n the spot.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

We went to Lupa Lake the other day.
I love to swim there, no lanes just open space to mess around in.
It was a toss up between going to Balaton or Lupa.
Lupa is closer but not free but that's OK, it's clean there and relaxing.
Only about a 30 min. drive over vs 90 mins. to Balaton.
Will have too make the trip to Balaton soon though before the season is over.
Have it all space shuttle parts and nuclear sub valves and odds and ends.
All super clean and super shiny, some "space age" materials were used so they are super strong.
All sorts of fancy machine work done on them.
My husband kept them for any job interviews he may ever need.
Talk is cheap but showing his work always got him hired n the spot.

Article on Euronews says Velence has lost 40% of its water.

It's pretty good in Balaton but there's a lot of construction going on which might put strain on Balaton itself.   There are many tourists here including many German and Dutch cars.  Couple of UK ones too.   I think if one came down early and left late, it'd be not bad on the autopalya.

Didn't anyone ask why your hubby has space shuttle and parts of nuclear sub valves?  Really, mount them on some nice wood and stick them on Ebay. I bet you'd get some very nice bids for them.

Another gorgeous day ahead, toping 35°C, too hot to do anything in the garden. I walk in the wood is in order.

SimCityAT wrote:

Another gorgeous day ahead, toping 35°C, too hot to do anything in the garden. I walk in the wood is in order.

Predicted to be 34 C Saturday. Definitely stick to the shade. I did 40km around Balaton on my MTB yesterday. It was tough going and luckily there was a breeze but the sun/UV was brutal.

I received a weather warning of temperatures over 29 C in the coming week.  Today will be 33 C in the Budapest area. 

Yesterday was just terribly humid and coming back from Balaton last night at 23h, there was a spectacular lightning show all the way but hardly any rain.  There must have been a real downpour here as we could see debris all over the roads.

We passed the site of the Zagreb-Budapest (?) bus crash (8 dead) on the M7 at km 70 but in the dark, there was nothing to see although there's some photos on HVG.   They cleaned it all up very quickly it seems.

Nasty looking mess - real shame for the victims and families.   

There's speculation that it was caused by a medical problem with the driver at the wheel. There were two, the one driving died. Had only been at the wheel 30 minutes before the accident.

Only 17 C today after the run of 30  C days before.  It's like November.   Last night's rain was torrential.   

I was expecting the sun to break out so I could take the dog walkies but rain looks possible.  No walking the dog in the rain.  Also if we take her walkies into the countryside, she'll rush off and get totally muddy!  She has no sense of decorum.

It was 13 C last night.  That's outrageously low.  It's only 19 C now.   Downside of less nice weather upside of more comfy garden work.

Weather is more changeable than (any) government policy over Afghanistan.

Monday was hot.
Swam at Lupa none stop.
Must of gone around the entire bay area 4 times in total.
Yesterday had to put on a denim jacket.
Going to warm up again in a couple of days.
Hoping for an Indian Summer this year.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Monday was hot.
Swam at Lupa none stop.
Must of gone around the entire bay area 4 times in total.
Yesterday had to put on a denim jacket.
Going to warm up again in a couple of days.
Hoping for an Indian Summer this year.

20C at the moment with a light breeze.  Humidity low and clouds/sun expected.  I'm working in the garden. 

We were walking the dog yesterday at Harmashatarhegy airfield and quite a few people were wearing light coats.  It's THE place to take your dog walking - so many other doggies to engage with.  Like a doggies social club.

Obviously the walkers weren't walking hard enough to break out in a sweat as we keep up a good pace and we were in T-shirts and we found it nice enough with quite a strong breeze.

Mrs F says 30 C again at the weekend.  I think the warm summer evenings might be going away.

I've literally just seen a truck delivering firewood for the neighbours.  We've been discussing getting some winter tyres for our car.

Aaargh....it'll be cold again...

Rubbish weather - only 18 C, 2.5mm rain today so far. 

And after it was 30 C on Saturday.

Had rain most of the night then cleared up, but will rain again tomorrow. I have a friend visiting Wednesday which is OK because that is the only day its dry. We have 22°C at the moment.

SimCityAT wrote:

Had rain most of the night then cleared up, but will rain again tomorrow. I have a friend visiting Wednesday which is OK because that is the only day its dry. We have 22°C at the moment.

It's dropped down to 17.5 C just now.   There's a slight breeze.

I see the days are getting shorter by a couple of minutes a day.  Sunset 19.42h.

It's almost 1830h and with the clouds, we will have to have some lights on soon.

I was painting some wood out in the shed and I was hoping it'd dry out quickly but I don't think it will unless it warms up pronto.

Just when I really got into swimming, the weather changes on us.
Hope to check out a spa very soon before it's too late to swim outdoors fr me.
I don't know how sme people manage to swim in the wintertime.
I love swimming but tend to freeze really fast once the water temp. goes down.
Another summer bites the dust.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Worth bearing in mind a human body loses heat 7 x faster in water than in air.   

You could extend your swimming period by getting a wet suit.   The thickness really makes a difference.

Even in warm weather, sometimes I wear one in Balaton with 1-2mm thickness and I could easily last 2  hours in the water but Mrs F and the kids would be cold in say, 1h.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Worth bearing in mind a human body loses heat 7 x faster in water than in air.   

You could extend your swimming season by getting a wet suit.   The thickness really makes a difference.

Even in warm weather, sometimes I wear one in Balaton with 1-2mm thickness and I could easily last 2  hours in the water but Mrs F and the kids would be cold in say, 1h.

Nice day today.

High of 25 C and hardly any wind and low humidity.  Sunset is at 19.05h.  It's getting colder in the evenings.

It's a good day for dog walking.

We have pretty much the same and set the for the coming week.

Not looking too good out there.   Only 9C today and raining.   

I had outside plans in the garden and walking the dog, now postponed. 

Forecast says it'll be better at the weekend - in the low 20s and sunny.

13°C here and rain for the whole day.

SimCityAT wrote:

Bit warmer than here.   We should have less rain this afternoon.  FWS (Fluffy Weather Station) is showing 0.7 mm of rain so far.

But overall not a good sign as we edge closer to October.  Days shorter by 3 minutes than yesterday.

I was planning to do a bit of welding and some woodwork.  Unlikely unless the sun comes out.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Bit warmer than here.   We should have less rain this afternoon.  FWS (Fluffy Weather Station) is showing 0.7 mm of rain so far.

But overall not a good sign as we edge closer to October.  Days shorter by 3 minutes than yesterday.

I was planning to do a bit of welding and some woodwork.  Unlikely unless the sun comes out.

Its not proper rain, more like a drizzle. But that stops any outside jobs.

SimCityAT wrote:

Its not proper rain, more like a drizzle. But that stops any outside jobs.

Yes, same here.   Not one thing nor t'other.

Bit like my Mum used to say,  "neither use nor ornament".

Plants not getting much benefit out of it.

Well, it cleared up quite nicely. 1°C warmer and bull sky.

SimCityAT wrote:

Well, it cleared up quite nicely. 1°C warmer and bull sky.

Same here and I'm outside doing stuff.  Surprisingly it's dried out the ground superficially rather quickly.

Really warm today. 

The FWS is showing almost 25 C, light wind and mid-level UV.

Tomorrow is expected rain  - 12mm in total across the day.

This might be the last day of the very warm days of September. It's all downhill from here.

23°C at the moment, they say 27°C but can't see that happening. Sat in my man cave nursing a hangover :D

Up the creek again for outside work or perhaps even walking the dog.  Almost 20mm of rain so far today and only 13 C.  I had plans to clean up some more in the garden but the rain has my hand workwise.  It's supposed to clear up around 16h but sunset is 1830h.  Not much daylight to do stuff.

I'm wondering about delivery of  the Indian summer I ordered.  Probably having trouble finding an HGV driver to deliver it.

What a difference from yesterday's 23+ C sunshine and today's rain soaked drizzly cloudy dullness at 9C.   

So far 10mm of rain and only a slight breeze.

It wasn't unexpected but not nice to see. All outside work has stopped. Looks like the plants are the only beneficiaries of today's drizzle.

https://scontent.fvie1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/245489016_10159281233357279_6091499287485079418_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FTzG5MwRQAMAX_GlF-F&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=0f2a154c8801e6c2314926c9e4597a20&oe=6189EB29

SimCityAT wrote:

[img align=C]https://scontent.fvie1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/245489016_10159281233357279_6091499287485079418_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_rgb565=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=FTzG5MwRQAMAX_GlF-F&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=0f2a154c8801e6c2314926c9e4597a20&oe=6189EB29[/url]

Gives error - Bad URL timestamp

Meanwhile...it's going to be sunny most of the day...

Strange it shows for me. Rain today, sleet for 2 days, then rain.

SimCityAT wrote:

Sleet!   WTF?  It's far too early for that.   

We've got sun until Sunday. 

While it's nice, I was thinking of doing some tree cutting with my new Aldi multi-function chainsaw thingy-whizzer-thing.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Sleet!   WTF?  It's far too early for that.   

We've got sun until Sunday. 

While it's nice, I was thinking of doing some tree cutting with my new Aldi multi-function chainsaw thingy-whizzer-thing.

Forecasting snow here, but we're used to it so no big thing.