Public health

Hi.

My name´s Carlos. I´m a Spanish man living in Scotland but considering a position in Eindhoven.

I´ve been stated that with English I can live there. Honestly, I can´t see myself learning Dutch, at least, a minimum Dutch for it to be useful. I´ve seen pictures of a supermarket inside and everything was in that language. Please, is English enough for Eindhoven?

I will need public health. I assume I´ll get written appointments but, in Dutch? Could I ask them to be in English? Is public health good? I mean GP´s, hospitals...

Lots of years ago I visited Amsterdam and I saw it too prostitution and drugs oriented. It´s Eindhoven like that?

Thank you all.

Hi Homer,

Please note that i have created a new thread with your post on the Netherlands forum.

Here it will be easier for you to interact with other members.

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

I think we've already addressed this posters questions regarding whether he should learn Dutch to live in Holland.

I must admit I missed these questions, so:

Supermarkets - everything is in Dutch, although you may recognise some products from their packaging - eggs & bread for example.  If you are looking for allergy information, it will be in Dutch and maybe German and French.

Doctors appointments - there is no facility to arrange doctors appointments in English, there is a fair chance he/she may speak English and although they don't have to, he may entertain you.  The forms you are asked to fill in will be in Dutch.  The doctor's receptionist/secretary (who you will have to work through to get to see the doctor), will be speaking Dutch; ours doesn't speak a word of English, neither is she expected to.  Don't forget you will need Health Insurance in Holland.

There are prostitutes and drugs in many places around the world; I've never looked for it there, but I'm sure it will be in Eindhoven as well.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team