Expat health insurance in the Netherlands

The Dutch Government have published a webpage that details the requirements for Expats with regard to Health Insurance when living in the Netherlands; this link will take you straight to it.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
@Cynic this is great. Thanks.

Is the permanent reaidence card the one i get whem i first come to the nl with a bsn or the one i get after being there more than five years and passing the test?
@Cynic this is great. Thanks.

Is the permanent reaidence card the one i get whem i first come to the nl with a bsn or the one i get after being there more than five years and passing the test?
- @junkstephen

Hi again.

It's changed since I did it, but basically, if you have a visa to come and live/work in the Netherlands, then it's one of the permanent categories and you need to apply for Health Insurance once you have your BSN; if you come on a short-term tourist visa, then you have to have insurance from elsewhere (i.e. your home country).  Once you have lived in the Netherlands for 5 years, you can apply for permanent residence, basically indicating that you want to remain in the Netherlands for the long-term (I'm tempted to say forever. but that sounds a bit OTT).

Glad you liked the link; I had nothing to do with it, but it really is (IMO) quite excellent, even if they didn't manage to spell Switzerland properly. 1f601.svg

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

@Cynic less about having something to do about it and more about your efforts in keeping the community informed. I know its all on your free time so that's what i am appreciating.

The most common types of expat health insurance in the Netherlands are international health insurance and Dutch private health insurance.