Pregnant and expat: what do I need to do

Hi,

So, I am pregnant in my second trimester and curious on what I really need to do. I understood recently from my midwife that I really needed to book a kraamzorger and that I am way too late..well..I had no way of knowing!

Would be great if there was some list or we could make one for expats. I am thinking day care, applying for any benefits (?) etc. etc.

Any tips are MOST welcome!!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

OK - not my strength, I'm a 66 year old man whose kids were born a real long time ago,  Anyway, luckily, one of our daughters has recently had a baby in the Netherlands and everything below this is from her, so I guess reasonably reliable.

Google "Kraamzorg" and a list will appear in your search, One that my daughter tells me she knows is NAVIVA, she used BTK, but these organisations are regional.  They're paid for by your basic healthcare insurance.  The system assumes you will have the baby at home (common in the Netherlands), then all costs are covered by your insurance, if you elect for a hospital birth, then there is an additional charge circa 200 euro; however if your midwife deems you need to go to a hospital, then it's free; again, speak to your midwife.

Whoever provides your health insurance will provide you with a "kraampakket", which contains all the items needed for a home birth and postnatal care at home.

There are things that the midwife will expect to find in your home for the birth, ask him/her

There are no social provisions I can think of, but you will get kinderbijslag after the birth and maybe qualify for increased huurtoeslag and zorgtoeslag, it very much depends on your circumstances.

A useful website is 24baby.nl (link); it's in Dutch, but I just tried it via the Google web browser and Google translate will turn it into English, or I guess any other language.

I normally say at this point if you have any further questions, please come back and ask, but as I kind of intimated at the start, I know nothing about giving birth in the Netherlands, but I can always ask my daughter for you.

Hope this has helped a bit.

Cynic
Expat Team

I don't think you are too late, there are a lot of kraamzorgbureau's in The Netherlands so you probably will find one.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Being an expat while pregnant can bring about some additional considerations and preparations. Research and choose a healthcare provider or obstetrician who speaks your language and understands your cultural background. They can guide you through the pregnancy journey and Attend regular prenatal check-ups to monitor your health and the baby's development. Your healthcare provider will schedule these appointments and may recommend additional tests or screenings. ***

Moderated by Bhavna last week
Reason : advert
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Being an expat while pregnant can bring about some additional considerations and preparations. Research and choose a healthcare provider or obstetrician who speaks your language and understands your cultural background. They can guide you through the pregnancy journey and Attend regular prenatal check-ups to monitor your health and the baby's development. Your healthcare provider will schedule these appointments and may recommend additional tests or screenings. Find all necessary info over [link under review].

-@John Ladykiller

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

The thread you are contributing to is over 3 years old, and the OP hasn't logged on for a couple of years, so I expect you may not get a response, but thank you for your contribution.

Cynic

Expat Team

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Being an expat while pregnant can bring about some additional considerations and preparations. Research and choose a healthcare provider or obstetrician who speaks your language and understands your cultural background. They can guide you through the pregnancy journey and Attend regular prenatal check-ups to monitor your health and the baby's development. Your healthcare provider will schedule these appointments and may recommend additional tests or screenings. Find all necessary info over [link under review].

-@John Ladykiller

This child would be three this year so for her the information is a bit too late but I am sure it can benefit other pregnant expat ladies.