Reasonable airfare To Puerto Plata

Does anyone know the cheapest flights/airline to Puerto Plata from Miami or Fort Lauderdale? I searched around and seems everything is $600 and up. There are always flights to Punta Cana for under $300. Just thought maybe I am unaware of a flight. I don't want to go to Santo Domingo and then have to drive. I would think there would be cheap flights considering its not far from Florida.

Kat11.

Prices are dependent on when you fly.  I suggest you go to Cheapoair.com and TripAdvisor.com.

Wishful thinking. Two reasons for the cost. One:  American Airlines has a monopoly from the southeastern U.S. to POP.    Two:  The company that runs the airport has made the fees to use the facilities, the highest off all the airports.        You can fly to Santiago cheaper, however it is late at night  & no bus until the morning. Choice: sllep at the airport or have someone pick you up, or pay about $125 for a taxi..  In other words ,they have us by the shorts.

Try Santiago airport. The issue is lack of scheduled airlines to POP  vs charters.

Well hopefully they will get better...the thought of $600+ vs $300 drives me nuts for such a short trip.  We wanted to check out North Coast properties in early 2019 (which is prob the most expensive time).😨

This might sound ridiculous but I can find return flights in Jan 2019 from Toronto (YYZ) to POP for £325 per person!

Those are charters for tourists and that is why they are less expensive.

You can fly JetBlue from FLL to STI on many days for less than $300.00. Baggage is extra and that cost has just gone up. Still, with 34" of legroom, flights leaving FLL at 8:28am vs 28" on Spirit in the middle of the night, it's a decent deal.
We've been finishing up selling property in Naples and are soon to be full time Sosua residents again as opposed to half time. It will be good to get out of Florida with the crazy drivers and constantly flickering electric. We tried the first world for a few years and have had enough.

That doesn't sound strange at all....I lived in NY near Niagara/Canadian border for 40 years and used to drive to Toronto to fly (1-1/2 hour) all the time for the great flights to Caribbean, but like Planner said they were charters. But punta cana is almost 200 miles farther than POP airport, so it just kills me.

An interesting note on airfares. You can fly WestJet from RSW, through YYZ and then to POP for less than MIA to POP on AA but it makes for a long day. I will do many things to avoid MIA.

We often fly into and out of Santiago. Even with the $100 cab fare we still will save lots of $$$$$
Bob K

Thanks Bob,

I found a fight non-stop on Jetblue to Santiago for $347 (vs $600+ to POP on American) so that is much better. When you say $100 cab ride to Puerto Plata/Sousa is that each way?

Yes that would be each way.

Looks like for 1 person no real savings but for 2 or more worth doing!

You can take a cab  from  STI to the Caribe Tours bus station. Take the bus to PP or Sosua for $30 total. bus is about $6.00)

We love being a 4 hour drive to Toronto to take advantage of direct flights to POP and AZS (el catey) but we get decent rates to SDQ sometimes from Detroit...it takes less that two hours to get to las Terrenas or Cabrera from Santo Domingo...straight up the toll road...I prefer that drive compared to all along the North Coast to POP...but that's because it's pretty far from Cabrera. We drive both all the time...And I've heard Santiago to Luperón/Puerto Plata isn't as bad as heading Northeast from STI...switch back mountain roads make me woozy...😣

Cheap flights to POP are practically non existent from the US. Santiago is most reasonable.

OK.  I just pulled off a great flight hack for two weeks over the holidays...historically we have paid $700 to $900 round trip! There is a AA flight from Detroit to POP via Miami one way for $280 basic economy...no frills.  Then I booked us leaving POP to Hamilton, Ontario on Air Transat $250...$530 round trip...plus a one way car rental $180 (because it's Hamilton...not Toronto costs twice as much) But, we have a $200 AT voucher...so that pays for the car rental...it's still a good deal.  Do some searches via kayak one way... Woo Hoo!

Good for you!!! We found a less than normal SW/AA combo for January. Still gotta go to STI. But our car is housed there so that is ok.