Questions on buying a car

Hi everyone,

Will be moving to the Dominican Republic in February and looking to purchase a vehicle. I have browsed around the forum and had the following questions:

1. I've seen Cruffman being the go-to guy to purchase a used car in the Dominican Republic. Would someone be able to share his contact information so I can get in touch with him? With that I have a few questions when it comes to people's expeirence with Cruffman?
- How long does it usually take him to find a vehicle? Should I plan the process to take a month, two months, two weeks?
- How much does Cruffman charge for his service?
-In case Cruffman is not available, are there any alternative people you all would recommend?

2. What are the options when it comes to financing a vehicle? I am looking to purchase a vehicle around 6-7k dollars, however I only have about 2k saved up. Can I put a down payment and then pay the remaining of the car month by month? I do have permanent residency (if that means anything).

3. From my years visiting the Dominican Republic, I realize that cars do not depreciate at the same pace as they do in the United States (so cars are really expensive). Does a budget of $6,000 seem reasonable? Looking for a reliable car to use in Santo Domingo and travel to different provinces maybe 1-2 times a month.

He is good at what he does.  Talk costs directly with him.

Your budget may be great and maybe not depending on what you need. 

I don't know anyone else who does this. 

In terms of financing - it's available and it's expensive.  Will you have residency?

His number (829)5463624

I will! Does that help at all?

planner wrote:

He is good at what he does.  Talk costs directly with him.

Your budget may be great and maybe not depending on what you need. 

I don't know anyone else who does this. 

In terms of financing - it's available and it's expensive.  Will you have residency?

I will have residency, does that help at all?

It will help.   It still won't be easy to get financing as you have no credit rating here or history, but it's possible.   Interest rate will be high but it can be done honey.

Domnicangringo,  I'll make two suggestions to you.

First, Go on the supercarros.com website and do a blank search for vehicles, then set the parameters to  "Lowest to highest" price. 
6K is about 350K pesos, so look at the vehicles in that range and you'll get a good idea of what is available within your budget.
Then you will have a point of reference when you talk to Cruffman.
Second, don't be in a rush to purchase a vehicle. You don't want to buy a nice car only to have somebody do unwanted body modifications with their car if you're not used to driving here. (you have residency so I'm guessing you're accustomed to it by now)
I have three older trustworthy vehicles in good shape. If somebody wipes one out, it won't be a big deal for me.  If somebody hits your financed car, you will still pay monthly for it even if it's not drivable.

You'll se financing options on SuperCarros too

Dealers will finance....usually

Dealer financing of a foreigner is  in the range of  2.5 % MONTHLY!

Jdjones -  good info and ideas!

planner wrote:

Jdjones -  good info and ideas!

Thank you Planner.   

It's absolutely imperative for a person looking for a vehicle. 

One should also understand asking prices on vehicles on supercarros tend to be on the upper side of actual values for any particular make and model.

OK.... 2.5%/mo

he needs a loan.. he's a foreigner.... what now ?

Banks do not have any caps on interest rates? How high can it go?

If a person would take such an expensive loan here to buy a car, it means he can't afford it.

Bank rates are not what you are considering.   You wont qualify with any bank. These are private dealer or seller loans and there is no limit!

Hola amigos y amigas!

Could someone please share their experience of buying a used car (what type of documents you need, how does the title transfer works, where you get a license plate and registration).

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

You need not be a resident to purchase

If using a dealer, they transfer title
Plates come with the car

In my experience, private sellers are anxious to transfer title to avoid
having the new buyer driving a car still reg'd in the seller's name
Stipulate the transfer as part of the purchase

Thank you, how much the dealers charge for that?

I just purchased a used car in Moca—nothing fancy. It's a 2009 Hyundai Sonata.  One thing is you have to be careful (as usual here). I ran into an issue attempting to transfer my title.  If you go to a used car lot, the owner may have lost the original registration (aka matrícula), or when he bought the car, he never bothered to do it. The issue is that the owners in those lots won't transfer the title, they'll leave that up to the buyer (gringo 😎). 

If the buyer doesn't catch that , you don't have legal title until you involve the original owner (wherever he might be, he may try to shake you down).  Who knows in this topsy turvy world. 🖖🏻

dealers might include it w/ the sale

The cost is +/- 20,000 pseos

Thanks

if you are not versed in this matter, you need the help or service of someone who is.  there are guys out there who are fabricating titles...if you get a fake title and it does not show up on the dmv computer you are in a world of hurt....

i have people who make those pains go away, but who needs them?

Hi Cuffman,

After the headaches and warning of trying to import a car I've desire to leave behind and start anew. Can you help me find a car? I've already started moving and will be back in the country 7/10. Any help and feedback you might be able to provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
J

i am always ready, willing, and available to help you find a car....you can whatsapp me at 829 546 3624, or email me at [email protected]

safe travels

Mike

Good morning - here is my personal experience with Mike aka Cruffman. 

I told Mike what I was looking for and my realistic budget.  He understood my needs because he asked me more questions.  He then suggested models I had not considered!

In 5 days he had cars for me to look at that he already knew were good reliable vehicles.  He negotiated the price and they came to me! 

I am now the proud owner of a 2015 low mileage Mazda CX-5. 

It's was done fast, professionally and well within my budget! 

I am a very happy customer. Thank you Mike!

it was an absolute pleasure facilitating this transaction..meeting you in person was a joy after having communicated  with you electronically for such a long while.  enjoy the car in the best of health, and i wish you fruitful times...

Not to step on Mike's toes but I found that buying cars that came directly to this country as new has been a better and cheaper experience for me.  North American cars come with too many expensive features that are not always useful here and quite often don't work or stop working but you have paid for them anyways.  ie. heated seats, heated mirrors, GPS units, and so many other features that you probably aren't even aware of.  A good way to tell that the car arrived directly for this country is the absence of a serial number in the driver's side corner of the windshield.  This would be the first clue...

Good luck.

Why we imported our 4Runner - reliable, durable and old school. The drive train and transmission is literally 2003 technology. I'm not much of a truck guy but it is the best thing to drive here, especially living at higher elevation.

you are not stepping on my toes....we are in the same shoes. i much prefer cars bought here, like at Viamar.  nobody in this part of the world needs heated seats. nobody really needs cruise control, and memory seats.  basic, solid cars cost way less.  secondly, cars bought at Reid and Company never see snow and salt on the roads.

Mike found me a very slightly used vehicle that was bought brand new here by the previous owner and very well maintained. As a single woman I am not going to be driving a brand new car here, makes me a target. Mike did  a great job.

If I was buying brand new I would have gone direct to dealer, absolutely!

Hi Cruffman,

I'm planning a move to the DR, am new on this forum, and have read such great things about getting a car through you, Mike!

What city are you in?

Thanks!
J

Cruffman is on the north coast but travels to find the best vehicles.

He spends most of his time in Sto Dom..... where the cars are.

Yes, originally Pto Plata

Thank you @planner!

Thank you also @WillieWeb!