Ship my car or buy one in the DR?

First and foremost, it's my first post to the forum. I've used this site as a reference and it contains a wealth of information. Thank you

So here's the plan - I'm buying a condo in preconstruction in Santo Domingo Este - ready in September of 2021. I will need a vehicle while I am in town —— I'll be splitting time between Chicago and the DR for a few years before I make a permanent move there.

So, I have a few options and I'm curious what would be the best:
1) I have a Ford F-250 pickup and also a BMW sedan. I'm considering shipping one of these to the DR.
2) Or purchase a vehicle in the DR.

I know it will cost around $2500-3000 USD for transport of the vehicle... But I also know the issues expats have when finding a good vehicle at a fair price.

Risk vs. Reward

Thoughts?

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly write in English only please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Importing when you're applying for residency is cheaper/better

without that - it gets pretty messy and $$$

Buy a clunker for your first vehicle here.  Something decent that won't break down but doesn't break the bank.

You don't know how to drive here well enough to have a really good vehicle here. It takes a year or two to master the basics.

After that start gradually looking around.  My experience is buying a 8-10 yr old vehicle from a private owner is your best bet. 

Don't bring anything down, sell them or store them.

50 yrs. of living here experience talking here.

Oscaringalves wrote:

Buena sugerencia es más fácil comprarlo aquí sin pagar cargos de impuestos

Exacto. Se paga un poco mas por mucho meno dolor de cabeza

(You pay a little more for a lot less headache.)

Ok

This is my “gut feeling”, definitely. I appreciate your input.

jdjonesdr wrote:

Buy a clunker for your first vehicle here.  Something decent that won't break down but doesn't break the bank.

You don't know how to drive here well enough to have a really good vehicle here. It takes a year or two to master the basics.

After that start gradually looking around.  My experience is buying a 8-10 yr old vehicle from a private owner is your best bet. 

Great advice sir. This is kind of along my similar line of thinking.

How much are you driving? I always say cost of Uber is very cheap in DR in comparison to car costs.

Please post in English here.

We have a member who can help you find a good vehicle at a fair price. 

If you don't use residency to bring in a vehicle it will be very expensive.   And their are rules.  Can't be older than 5 years and you have to have owned it at least a year.

My understanding is that vehicles can't be older than 5 years for them to be shipped.  There is Law 171-07 that I think allows you to ship a vehicle without paying taxes.  Unfortunately, I think it only applies for retirees.

It only applies to those with a new residencia, and within 6 months of getting it.

That's good to know. I am buying a new apartment in Punta Cana (Being built right now) which I plan to use to ease up the residence process. Too bad the closing date was delayed due to covid.  Didn't know about the 6 months... Good information..  Thanks!

GregInTheDR wrote:
jdjonesdr wrote:

Great advice sir. This is kind of along my similar line of thinking.

If you have Facebook jump on the marketplace and set your location for Santo Domingo and look at the ads for vehicles. That will give you a good idea of what's available. You may be in for a surprise.

And when ready contact Crufman here, he can help you get a quality vehicle.

I have an excellent dealer in PC.  If interested PM me.  The person I dealt with is the only person I can recommend in this country.  He will not let you down.  If you are looking for a clunker he probably can't help you but I cannot stress enough...don't buy a car in Santo Domingo!  If you do, remember this post...

Gotta agree that you should not bring a nice car down.  When I visited for the first time, my passengers were appalled at the driving in the DR.  Having been a FedEx driver for a couple of decades, I immediately fit in and could anticipate and flow with traffic.  They all drive like they have lost their minds and life is cheap,so they drive like the old couriers used to, before the lawsuits.  My friends have been in DR for years and they advised me the exact same way.  Get a decent car that is not too expensive and adjust your expectations for your fellow drivers much lower!

Just my dos pesos!

Yup all true!   I am now at the point where I am in need of upgrading my car. I love my vehicle but its  old enough its starting to break down too often. I will upgrade and use the  services of Cruffman   He knows what he is doing!

Gm how I can start the process of residency ..

Call Lishali
Just look at the legal, lawyer thread

There is a thread on residency and its pinned at the top of the list!

FOr some reason I can't find the thread pertaining to Legal questions. What I would like to know and perhaps someone other than Lily knows what to I need be able to ship within the six months of receiving Temp Residency. I'm assuming it would be wise for legal assistance for proper notice/authorization to customs here..

I will try to find it for you but I will tag Lilly on this  thread as well.  My understanding is that  your "customs broker"   works hand in hand with your lawyer  to facilitate this.

yes... as I recall.. they do all the work in that regard

Hispaniola Freight is who I used - Wendoline de Pena

https://www.hispaniolafreight.com/en/

Thanks - I did send Lily an email with the question. Booked to fly on Sep 5th so looking for info prior although no likely shipping, from Alberta, for four or five months. Still checking for Canadian shippers  - no email reply from Peralta Bros, but will phone when in TO. Will also check  out your contact info Willie....cheers

VP
my furniture , car - everything - went regular freight.... not a mudanza

You need an exporter, a freight forwarding company...
Hispaniola might be able to coordinate the whole thing.

In my case, we loaded a 40ft container in PHL & shipped to the port by road
It arrived SDQ/ Caucedo where Hispaniola took over
Caucedo is the port of choice....

Ok you are coming only for 4 or 5 months?

I spoke with Lishali (Lilly) and that is more about your customs broker. 

Here is a woman I can recommend her name is Suggy and her company is Subralogic.  Her phone and WhatsApp 809-861-1911.  Her English is good and I use her for all my personal and business needs!

Thanks Darlene - I'm going back to get work to earn enough to build or pay as we build. I expect it will take three or four months to earn and buy all the items I want to ship. Thanks for the contact info - I'll contact her next week. Cheers.

You are very welcome!

i respectfully disagree with your advice not to buy a car in Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo is the best place in the country to buy a car, unless you are looking for a Subaru, which would take you to Santiago and Tramo La Vega.  for every dealer in Punta Cana there will be a hundred in SD. then there  are the particulares, or private car sales. the trick to buying used cars is to buy from wealthy people who can  afford to maintain them. 

simply put, there is no comparison between SD and any other city when it comes to buying a car.

I agree.  Half the population of the country is in Santo Domingo.   Its just logical there are more options more opportunities and more competition.   

That said it doesn't mean there are not good dealers or opportunities elsewhere.  It's all about your personal needs and your experience.  If you have no experience rely on the experience of others!

@DominicanadaMike

Hi,

My name is Calvin, I saw your post...who do you have to help in buying a car in the Dominican Republic.

In case you missed it many of us recommend Cruffman. See his posts above and contact him.

He has found great vehicles for me and is currently sourcing a work truck!

thanks a ton for the props , Planner

@cruffman

I agree with you on there being so much more to choose from in SD but traveling

4 hours from puerto plata….🤔…… there has to be more options

There are lots of other options. Unwillingness to go to Santo Domingo just decreases your options. That's all

@Tippj

maybe it's just me, but i think that travelling 4 hours to get a great car beats travelling 2 hours to get a piece of crap, which will be a nightmare for you in the foreseeable future..then again, i have been wrong many times