Car Rental in DR

Hi, I am looking to rent a car but it looks like there is some mandatory liability insurance that is needed to drive in DR. Does anyone know about this "casa de conductore"?

I reserved a car rental with full coverage but apparently this liability insuranceis different and MUST be purchased !

Any info on this is greatly appreciated !

Thank you!

Casa de conductor is additional coverage and is  inside your liability package. When there is a serious accident, the driver can be held by the police.   You would be held in jail. Casa de conductor is like a hotel   that  replaces the jail while things are sorted out.  It is safe,  comfortable and  much better then jail.   You do not want to be held in jail! 

The liability insurance is over and above the legally required  insurance.   Most  newer vehicles have it and I recommend all expats have it.

Yeah the car rental insurance here is a real belly punch; but, the way people drive here I would load up on it   :o

thank you...I do not plan to drive much but will need transport. IS there a service I can use to find a driver ??

Using Alamo as example with the highest package, is Casa de conductor included?

Alamo Protection Package (APP) is a package product which includes Collision Damage Waiver-Theft Protection (CDW-TP), Tire and Windshield Protection (TWP), Third Party Liability (TPL) and Deductible Protection (DP) at a discounted price.  Alamo Protection Package (APP) is not insurance.   If you purchase APP, the rental company contractually waives your responsibility for the cost of damage to, loss or theft of the vehicle, and up to the policy limits for damages and injuries to third parties during the rental period in the Dominican Republic subject to the actions listed on the rental agreement that invalidate the coverage as described in the rental agreement.

No deductible applies.

Some Credit Card companies will have Rental Car Insurance, if you pay with their card.  I have rented many times in Santiago and have been on the receiving end of crazy drivers that hit and run.  They were all covered by the Credit Card ( AMEX).  You should look into that.

DRVisitor wrote:

Using Alamo as example with the highest package, is Casa de conductor included?

Alamo Protection Package (APP) is a package product which includes Collision Damage Waiver-Theft Protection (CDW-TP), Tire and Windshield Protection (TWP), Third Party Liability (TPL) and Deductible Protection (DP) at a discounted price.  Alamo Protection Package (APP) is not insurance.   If you purchase APP, the rental company contractually waives your responsibility for the cost of damage to, loss or theft of the vehicle, and up to the policy limits for damages and injuries to third parties during the rental period in the Dominican Republic subject to the actions listed on the rental agreement that invalidate the coverage as described in the rental agreement.

No deductible applies.

Not sure but I will look into it !

I will, thank you !

Was made aware how costly renting a car was in Domenican Republican due to rental agency demanding additional insurance.  Was assured by my auto insurance covered rental but bought additional insurance from Allianz. They assured me full coverage. Rental company placed a $500.00 hold on my credit card and permitted me to take the car.  I did not pay for additional insurance.  One of the few. They all pay I was told.

Yep, it's a ripoff.  They'll add as much as $800 combined liability and comptehensive insurance to a $98 13-day  bargain rate.  READ YOUR TERMS OF CONTRACT CAREFULLY,  AS THEY WON'T CALL IT TO YOUR ATTENTION, and contract is in Spanish.

We've rented a car twice.  First time I flat out refused to pay it...and won simply because it was the off-season, cars were plentiful and I was in a position of strength.
-- But, they did give me probably the most beat-up vehicle with dents and scratches all over & cracked front windshield.  (Which actually is perfect for driving in the DR -- you're seen as a local, so locals don't try to take advantage of you.)
-- No matter what vehicle you get, 1) take pictures of EVERY dent, scratch, mar or crack on the vehicle.  Also, take a Looooooong time documenting everybflaw on that little firm.  DON'T JUST SIGN AND DRIVE.
>> I've also started taking pictures  of the entire vehicle AGAIN when I do the return, with at least one picture including the receiving attendant.  Read that tip somewhere on expat.com last summer. 

Second rental time was just this last early March.  Cars mostly sold out.  I absolutely refused to pay collision/comptehensive, as my AMEX automatically provides that.

But they had me by the short hairs on the liability insurance.  If I refused to pay that, they had plenty of no-rez walk-ins looking for a vehicle.
They wanted about $360 for the liability insurance.  Ultimately, we had to take the car and pay the liability insurance...but I did get it reduced to something like $230 with my persistence. 

This is a broken, unethical system...but I don't know how you get around it, at least during the high season. 

If any veteran visitors know of a way around this system of "mandatory insurance add-on,"  PLEASE SHARE IT WITH US!!

JIM
EXPATRUSHER

SatoriNow wrote:

Hi, I am looking to rent a car but it looks like there is some mandatory liability insurance that is needed to drive in DR. Does anyone know about this "casa de conductore"?

I reserved a car rental with full coverage but apparently this liability insuranceis different and MUST be purchased !

Any info on this is greatly appreciated !

Thank you!

Solar39: 

That's very helpful advice.

Thanks.

Jim
ExpatRusher

Solar39 wrote:

Some Credit Card companies will have Rental Car Insurance, if you pay with their card.  I have rented many times in Santiago and have been on the receiving end of crazy drivers that hit and run.  They were all covered by the Credit Card ( AMEX).  You should look into that.

That's is correct, i rent from the airport and that is a MUST. In the past most credit cards normally covered the collision cost (for me it was up to 60k) but you are required to purchase the liability coverage.

I then started to rent from a local guy for one flat cost per day. This also included full coverage, pickup and drop off from the airport.

I travel here a lot and a few weeks ago bought a car, so I longer rent.  I hope this helped!

That's correct, check with your credit card company to see if they cover collision in DR and have them send you policy section that states that and bring it with you. The few credit card companies that was still providing this coverage has ended that service.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Jared we don't permit posting of links for promotion of your own company.  And honey your profile says you are in Jamaica. This is the Dominican republic.

I can only confirm the outline of JIM! Expatrusher.
18.8.2021 I am German, 58 years old, frequent traveller and wanted to get to know the Dom.Rep outside the tourist areas to find a second residence - The winters in Germany are hard and cold.
I wanted to pick up a small car on 18.8.2021 at Alamo, SD, Av.de los Proceres for a trip to Barahona.
I had "booking confirmations" from ALAMO & Expedia.
Quotation "Mini-Car" 135 US for four days. I had chosen "Anti-Collision Ensurance" for around 12 US a day 35000 US coverage.
To cut a long story short - when I came to the office the manager insisted on an additional  full coverage ensurance for another 200US!

Jim is calling that "unethical" business attitude - I fully agree, since normally I would not have had another option (no Hotel in SD, all my luggage with me, no transport to the next destination etc.)
They tried to twist my arms.... and they were bloody rude. And this was a contrast to normal customer treatment in DomRep, a very friendly country, well educated etc.
So I  told the guy off (I was polite!!...not telling him, where he could put his car) , called "my" driver I had frequently booked before via "InDrive" and left the office. The paid for trip to Barahona - around 4 hours drive - around 6000 pesos i.e. 100US. At the end, the better choice.
PS. IMPORTANT - ALAMO Terms and Conditions say NOTHING about insurances or related obligations BUT (and this was very interesting for me as a German) the T&C say quoted roughly:
"Reservations, booking confirmations, quotations DO NOT ESTABLISH a contract/contractual obligations on ALAMO side"
A contract can only be concluded in the premises / agencies of ALAMO!!  The office manager is free to give / refuse me the car, or to put special requirements on the rental conditions!!

Welcome to the forums.  Great, detailed, first hand post!  Thank you for sharing your experience with us all. 

Glad you had a back up plan!

Were they trying to get you to book “third party liabilit”?  You know that is actually not a legal requirement?  (Long story)

This nonsense is forcing people to book cars from mom and pops with no safety standards.  Dangerous!

Gone are the days of a $6/day rental…

Alamo says that they sold most of their fleet during the pandemic… (knee jerk reaction much)?  And that demand is high, so they can charge whatever they want.

The agents get perks for getting you to book insurance.

Say......I used Uber here for the first time....as my normal driver was unavailable......wondering if it's safe to do this....i was very surprised at the cost....it was half the cost of a taxi from Las America Airport to Juan dolio.......the car was a bit beat up.....and the driver a bit shady....but went well and I tipped him....anybody heard any stories about uber here in the DR ?

I also use Uber when in the DR it is pretty cheap compare to the states.
Best advice when getting in an Uber safe all the drivers info lic plate etc  texted to a relative.
But for the most part is a safe way to get around.
I do have a driver  if anyone needs to get pick up from las Americas.

Rich

Uber is  fairly safe here and  for the most part inexpensive. They are NOT allowed to pick up at the airports so you need to be careful there. They may take the  trip but will tell you to  find them on the  departures level not the arrivals as the regular taxis can and do cause issues.

Hi guys and gals,
I'm flying into Santiago and I'm looking to rent a car for a couple of weeks. Thanks to the forum I checked with Amex and they said I would have Secondary coverage for “Damage To and Theft of” the rental if I paid everything with my Amex card BUT they specifically said I MUST decline full collision damage waiver (CDW) if offered. The coverage offered can be up to 30 continuous days. It's only for the authorized driver (me in this case. If anyone else is going to drive the car they must also be named on the policy you sign) The coverage is up to $50,000 and it says can be with any rental company.

I don't mind paying the extra liability insurance (with casa de conductor) if it's necessary.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good Rental company that can meet me at the airport if possible or is located at or nearby the airport. Anybody have any suggestions?

Avis, Nelly and Hertz among the many at the airport in Santiago.  I have used then all.  Amex has done right by me, in many of the damages that the cars have sustained.

@Gcjackson2277

Can you provide the information for the guy you rent from?

This is from last year!

@Solar39 What company do you use? Should we decline all of their insurances and go with the protection from Amex or Chase?

Once with Alamo at Lifestyles in Puerto Plata we argued around and around about the increase in the booked price. The employee was adamant that everyone (gringos) needed the additional full coverage beyond what was qoted on the website when we reserved it. "It covers everything from the moment you walk out if here until you return it" said she. Then we gave up, paid the money and while putting our luggage in the back of the Nissan Frontier a bungy cord sprang loose and shattered the rear window...guess what? It wasn't covered...we had to go to the police and file a report...took three days out of our seven day vacation. She was standing there when it happened!? No idea why we needed police report??🤪 So, yeah...that's my contribution...

Your cc insurance will not be enough!  Make sure you understand all you have, all you are offered and make an informed choice. A serious accident can leave you in jail here!

If it is permissible on this forum  I would appreciate referrals for any reasonably priced car rental place in Las Terrenas for March or April 2024. If the rental is for a week or more is there a discount on the daily rate?

@SatoriNow Uber is extremely cheap there. 

@ddmcneill That's true and Santo Domingo, and probably other areas, but the attempt to bring Uber to Las Terrenas failed.

FYI pretty true for SD and Santiago.  Other areas are very much hit and miss!

Thanks All. Uber is not the desired mode of travel.  Anybody out there in Las Terrenas land that may be able to suggest a person  they might have had a a good experience with?

Sent you a PM with a LT land recommendation....