How is the software developer job market in Malta?

Hello, I am a software developer from the USA and I have been looking into moving to Malta. My main concern is the job market and cost of living. Does anyone have any information on the Job market for software developers? I have just over 5 years of experience and I know most modern tech stacks, so I have a pretty high salary here in the USA; How are the salaries for devs in Malta?

50k/year seems normal there is a lot of demand but the industry is immature and does not get support from local government (for ex creation of government IT is outsourced to Dubai)

50k is a lot for here though but it's ultimately a bad idea when one can earn 5 to 10 times that elsewhere.

Would the cost of living and more vacation time make up for the hit you take on salary? Also the 5-10x mark is a little off. The average junior developer salary in the USA is only ~65k and the average for an experienced developer varies, usually 75-95k unless you live in a very expensive city, then it will be higher.

Maybe this LINK might help?

Thanks for the link. When discussing salaries in Malta is it post or pre tax?

Normally salaries are advertised as pre-tax as everyone has different circumstances.

fmiccoli007 wrote:

Would the cost of living and more vacation time make up for the hit you take on salary? Also the 5-10x mark is a little off. The average junior developer salary in the USA is only ~65k and the average for an experienced developer varies, usually 75-95k unless you live in a very expensive city, then it will be higher.

Sure. Not everyone earn 10x. It's easy as a consultant though.

I work remote from Malta for American companies, you can have your cake and eat it too. Granted not junior work though

Im also curios to know whats the payscale like for a senior developer in Malta and I live here :) Malta is a place where nothing is ever what is painted out to be. I have not job searched now for over 8 years but last I checked whenever someone said a job position was up to 55K then it turned out they meant 45K Which is still great mind you. Tax is 25% give or take and another 10% for NI. 3 weeks paid vacation and 3 weeks sick leave.

Other than that unless you have a way to obtain a work permit it may not be easy for you to come work here.
Hi everyone,

Please note that a few posts have been removed from this thread.

The member deirdrehickey has also been banned ( probably a fake profile ).

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team