Transportation options/ interest rates

In the ever increasing world of airport hassles and fewer direct flight options, are there other transportation methods into/ out of the DR?       
  Perhaps a short cruise from the east coast of the USA to the DR or the reverse might be available, though I have found few such options.  I know there are some charter airplane flights from Canada to the DR for snowbirds.
   Thanks for your insight and information on this topic.
Also, what is the average interest rate presently on a passbook savings account in DR pesos? 
gracias, estella

There are  charters, cruise ships and  of course regular airlines - the main options. There are no  bridges,  not other means of getting here!  Other then that  I can tell you it is a long swim! 

Passbook savings account -  like  a daily savings account?  In pesos it pays almost nothing. If you are talking an investment account - depends on the duration and the amount of the investment. The rates are not as high as they used to be.

There is a ferry two times a week from Puerto Rico, but the fare is almost as much as a plane ticket from Miami.

Current CD rates on pesos accounts are from 6%-8% or so depending on amount, bank and time. Daily passbook is 3% or so and the exchange rate on the dollar is going up by at least that amount so you are lucky to stay even.

Bob K

The ferry that shuttles back and forth from Santo Domingo to Mayaguez, Puerto Rico is almost as much as a plane ticket as Bob K mentions.
The difference is you can get your own cabin, with a shower.
The trip is 12 hours. They have massive buffets, great music and dancing~night life and when you wake up in the morning you will be in Santo Domingo. It is a wonderful experience, well worth the money and a nice duty-free shop.