Renting a Flat - is it really that simple? (Tanger)

Hi everybody,

Found my dream flat in Tanger. Went to see it today - just perfect! After a quick look, I realised the place was a bit degraded, but still very functional. It is located near Place des Nations - which looked quite safe and well-connected this morning. I must be taking public transport to Iberia every morning, so it is essential to be central.

I am renting through an agency that has good reviews online (Access Immo Tanger). The agent was very responsive to my questions, but I still have some concerns... He only asked for a copy of my passport as a way to prove identification and write the contract. Payment can be done by different means (cash, bank transfer, etc). The rent does not include bills or condominium - which is fine. Even so, every cost fits my budget.

Any advice before I sign my contract?

I will be studying for a degree in Tanger. He asked me for a confirmation that I am a student, but this can only be provided in September, once I start my course — since I am still registered as a tourist, not a student - would it be ok to rent a property?

I am a single man, but I might be having guests staying with me in the flat (not subletting, just friends) - is there any rule about having guests? How should I find out about this?

I am a musician, but I am not aware about regulations concerning sounds/music in residential spaces - how does it work in Morocco? Is there any "law of silence" that I should be aware of? Can my neighbours become a problem in the future? (I stress: I am not a loud person, but I can't stand silence).

I would like to make some changes to the structure of the flat - paint the dirty walls, for example, or maybe install some bookshelves, etc. Is that ok? Am I supposed to get any discount for improving the flat? Should I reach an agreement with the landlord first?

Buying furniture: I really want to avoid endless negotiations of price. Where should I get furniture in Tanger. Can you advise me about online shops that could deliver the goods?

Do I need to register with local council? Or is the agency responsible for that?

And most importantly: Internet. I have no idea where to start. It was suggested Maroc Telecom for residential wifi - but I am not sure how to get someone to install it, or what kind of contract I will be facing.

Sorry for so many questions, but I am still learning how to navigate in this wonderful country with its peculiar laid-back culture. Any information would be valuable. You can also contact me privately if you want to get rid of furniture (I immediately need furniture, and I have no problem with second-hand).

Thanks!

Anoush

First, I hope you don't still think that I work for the Airport......😆🤣

Commenting on your many questions:

1. Yes, this is a very good neighbourhood if one needs to take public trans daily. Otherwise it can get too touristy.

2. Yes, it is safe to sign a contract. I probably showed less identification than what you've shown when buying properties here. They will accommodate you once you can prove that you have enough money in the local bank in Convertible Dirham.

3. Anyone can rent a property assuming the requirement stated on no.2 above is met.

4. You can have any guest you want in your flat. It's a Muslim country, but no body gives a damn about what you do in your own flat if you are foreigner, as long as you don't make loud noises.

5. There is no “Law of Silence” like in Geneve of Zurich. However, neighbour can report you to the Police and/or, worst, local Qaid if you play loud music after 1 AM or during Siesta. The villa across from my property in Merçhane was used as a music studio last Summer, hired by a French Rock Band . Neighbours were up and arm about it due to the noise and the Villa had to install sound proof insulation throughout. You don't want this to happen to you!

6. Cosmetic changes are always acceptable. Structural changes (affecting wall location and/or plumbing and electrical wiring) are almost never acceptable. I am an architect with 20 years practice in NYC and very aware of this thing.

7. Yes, you need to notify the landlord if you want to install shelf on the wall. No, you will not get a discount from improving the flat. What is considered an improvement for you might actually be costing the landlord to remove later.

8. Furniture: If you want economical and good item, go to Kitea by the Airport. They deliver. Buying through the internet is not advisable (you cannot check the quality) unless you go to really high-end like KARE Casablanca (google it). I can't help with other local names as we Tangerioise expats normally go to auction or the four or five respectable boutiques in Tangier for quality pieces (Tindouf, Rue Holland, Majid, Abdesselam and ABIS). I imagine you speak French? Wherever you buy anything, get the number of the delivery man, speak to him in French just to make sure he understands you, and you are good.

9. Mattress: There is only one respectable place to go: Dolidol. They have two shops, one in Iberia, another on Mohammed V, not very far from your place. A quick google will get you there. 

10. Local council, for what? I know it's not required for US Citizen, but I am not sure with your nationality, so you better check with your Embassy or Consulate.

11. Yes, Maroc Telecom is very reliable for Internet. There is an office very close to your flat on Boulevard Mohammed V, facing the sea. If you use only cellphone, get High-Speed internet connection that doesn't require making phone call from a landline. It's very economical, less than 400 Dirhams per month. They will come and install it for you for a fee. Again, you need to speak French to them to get exactly what you want. Once it's install, you can get a form to make payment directly from your local bank. It is very advisable to do this so that you never have to worry when you are abroad or travelling.

12. If I were you, I will be wary accepting donated furniture. Many of the low-end Air BnB in the Medina has bedbugs issues. You don't want to have that problem in your minty fresh apartment.

Good luck!
Abram

Hey Abram,

In the end I opted out for a furnished flat. The landlady was amazing and provided everything I needed. I also got a huge support from L'AGENCE (they speak good english, and made the process run very smoothly).

Thanks a lot for all your tips. They are going to be very helpful.

All the best,

Anoush.