Safest areas to live in Casablanca for females

Hi,

My family is trying to buy an apartment in Casablanca and really struggling to decide on a location.

I am use to being very independent and don't want to end up buying a property in an area I don't feel safe walking around in alone or to have my daughter walking around in alone.

Every city has areas that are more crime and are more dangerous then others.  My husband is mainly getting advice from men, but the experiences of men and women are just not the same.  I need more feedback from a female point of view.

We were about to make a decision between a few places in Maarif and Roches-Noires.  My daughter was talking to a female freind living in Casablanca and she advised that it was a bad idea.  She said based on her personal experiences and her friends experiences living in both areas that we were not going to be comfortable living in these areas.  She said there was a high risk for getting robbed at knife point in Maarif and as someone who does not speak the language I was going to not feel comfortable living in Roches-Noires and be at high risk for being harassed.  In both places said being followed or sexually harassed as females was very high.  She basically said you won't feel comfortable or safe so there is no point living there.  She literally warned us against it and suggested trying to buy in Quartier Californi.

Does anyone have any feedback on this?

Thanks
Hello ,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f603.svg

After reading your message, I suggest you check the Living in Morocco guide. We have dedicated a part of this guide to talk about Accommodation in Morocco.

I hope that the members of this forum can share their personal experiences.

Best of luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
Try El Hank.

@myvillagehasmanytribes hello ! I juste read your message and my tant husband is a professor in the uneversity, he wants to sell his second appartement after buying a villa and the appartement is really good and in a good place it's name is ( inara) it's inside a cooperative including gardens and places for children, anyway if you r interesting juste text me !! Good luck

Hi boussaaidisami,

Welcome to expat.com!

If you know someone interested in selling an appartment, then I recommend you (or they) drop an advert on the Housing in Morocco section.

Vero
Expat.com team
Thanks for your welcoming ! And yes if someone wants to buy an appartement in Casablanca I know someone from my family he wants to sell !!
@boussaaidisami
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.  My husband is getting a bit annoyed at my going back and forth about locations.  So if send him any more ads right now he is going to get mad 😬.  I will reach out if anything changes. 
I at first told him I wanted to buy in the city centre so I so walk to things to do... then was told about these gangs walking around with large knives robbing people and then I tried to get him to buy in the Californi area but it seems super far from everything.
@myvillagehasmanytribes hi ! I hope that u spending a good day ! I know how Casablanca is big, I spent 3 years there as a student, I'm not a estat agent, I juste saw your annonce there and because I liked this place and I was happy there people are great and nice and gentle, I never saw a gangs there no body talked to me a bad way even if I was not from the area !
I think you gonna like it, if u r interesting I can help u
@boussaaidisami
Thank you for the feedback.  I have been a bunch of times.  I have never had any issues but did not go out too much without my daughter who speaks the language.  A few times there were some teenage boys following us trying to talk but just silly teenage boys that were bored who took off once they realized I was her mother and not her old sister.  I found it more comfortable then my previous times there.
I was looking in to what my daughter and her freind where trying to explain to me and I am still confused.  I see videos on YouTube and social media about these people / gangs with machetes or knives but I guess if you live in a decent area and also do not attract attention they don't target you.  My husband says Fes is worse for theft.
My daughter wants an apparentment in Californie now, but I think it looks too far from interesting things walking which will not work for me.  She is a teenager and wants to buy places near where she has freinds. 
My husband got annoyed because we cannot agree on where to buy and is now buying farm land outside of the city 😑.
This might be for the best because we won't be able to use it often and don't want to deal with renting.
It was too difficult to do this without being there too see the area.

Best wishes

check out Bd. Anfa , Bd. Ziraoui and Gauthier.

I have lived in all the 3 places.

My guess is you will not regret it. I feel Gauthier has the maximum expats in Casablanca. I live there.

If you want outside the city, Bouzkoura is nice with more new buildings coming up and nature.

Also new construction going on in Casablanca Finance City. Also heard positive things about Racine. Also see Bd. Abdur Razzak near Nespresso(The posh part of Maarif).

CIL and Anfa Superior are also good places after Ain Diab and Anfa Place.

@myvillagehasmanytribes That California is a good area,but mainly if you are from Morocco,but if you are not from Morocco,am seeing buying house here in Morocco as waste of money,cos if you want to go back to your country,they will not buy it,rather they will tell you to sell it to them 50percent discount of what you bought it.Just be careful while making a choice to buy an apartment here in morocco.i wish you all the best