Best coastal cities in Morocco

Hi there,

I am new here. I am thinking of buying some property in Morocco as a second residence for holidays during European winter.  I have researched a bit about Morocco and I have seen quite interesting cities such as Essaouira, Agadir, Tangier. I would like to know your opinions about what city would make a good choice considering that I am looking for a city on the coast and with a considerable expat community from France/Europe/ western world. Any other infor is appreciated

Thank u

Hi,

It depends, if you want peace and a traditional atmosphere, then go for Essaouira. If you are looking for an investment then go with Tangier. It's the second economic hub, and it's fast growing. You can also have balance of modern life and traditional Moroccan culture. I think Tangier also has a sizable Expat community.

cheers for the reply. Is there any place around Tangier that might offer best of both worlds?

Agadir has a thriving expat community and miles of coastline. It's the least like a traditional Moroccan city of the 3 you mentioned, more like a French Mediterranean city.
It has a wonderful beach with so mucho unspoilt coast line just a few kilometres away, easily accessible by bike, bus or car.
Agadir is growing at an amazing rate and has loads of accommodation for rent and/or forsake.
In my opinion, Essouara is a bit small. It's wonderful for a week's holiday, but there is not enough variety of venues/restaurants etc for somewhere to live, however, if a smaller town appeals to you, it's a great choice.
I would recommend that you rent for at least 3 months in any city, before you decide to buy. It will allow you to find the best (and worst) areas to live, and to see if it offers all that you're looking for.
Don't forget to visit an area during both day and night, to ensure you feel comfortable there, before you purchase. (If you're near a mosque, is the call to prayer at 5.40 in the morning, going to disturb you etc. Are there restaurants/ pubs/clubs that only come to life in the evening and play load music.)
Look online at what a city has to offer. The French institute in Agadir is very active and arranges events and entertainment on an almost weekly basis.

Hope this helps.
Good luck
Regards
Doug

I can't say where is best, as I've only visited a few times, I'd go with Doug's advice and spend some time in these cities before making the decision.

Good luck. :)

After u decide which city u would love to settle in, check this Moroccan website to help u finding the property u want all over Morocco : www.avito.ma

Good luck

North coast Tanger to Ceuta or Tanger to Rabat
Choice of Med or Atlantic Ocean and miles of beautiful beaches and small towns.
Tanger is thriving and development is non stop will be the the number 1 destination in Morocco.

Interesting thread.  But as someone looking to invest in property if you pick somewhere already established the price will reflect that.  If you find somewhere considered up and coming you can get the property at a better value.

Are there coastal areas of Morocco that would be considered "up and coming" with hidden potential.  I am looking for value and want to make future potential profit in any land or property purchases.  You buy low you will increase wealthy and assets.  You pay high for an already established area the rate of potential profit it a less favorable gamble.  Are there any specific coastal towns/ cities that should be on an investors radar?